"Stubborn" child, 11, was chained up and whipped by grandparents in NE

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on a alarming case of abuse of a young female child in P4 (the fourth year of primary education) by her grandparents.

A clip of the abuse had been posted by a concerned neighbor after it escalated. It appeared on Facebook on a page called "Mai Roo - Leum Laew" (Don't know, I've forgotten).

Following the post child welfare and other authorities went to the house in Nong Khoo sub-district of Buriram where they took eleven year old "A" into care.

She said that she was chained up and whipped by her paternal grandfather and grandmother and was not allowed to play with her friends.

She said she was lonely. Sometimes her neck was grabbed and she was scared. 

She was told that if she took the chain off she would be covered in red ants.

The grandparents - named only as Black and Red said that the child who they had raised since her parents split up did not listen to them.

They claimed that tying her up was for her own good as she had been involved in a molestation incident with a man called Love, aged 45.

They called her "deu" or stubborn and said they tied her up while they went to work.

A local trader called Chor said that he had witnessed the abuse and decided at first not to interfere but when it escalated he got his son to film and posted online to get the attention of the authorities. 

ASEAN NOW notes that many children are raised by grandparents in Thailand when they are either abandoned by their parents or due to the fact that parents must work to get money in other provinces.

But some grandparents are unable to cope and resort to violence to try and control the children who they often see as "property".

In this case no mention was made by Siam Rath of police action. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-08-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You will find that it isn't just Thai people who do terrible things and that it isn't ALL Thai people that do terrible things and Thai people aren't the "worst" .

The Grandparents behaviour was appalling, but lets not be abusive to ALL Thai people 

hmmm .... I'd be interested to know if this kind of thing is as prevalent in the likes of Vietnam or Cambodia because I never read or hear about it in other Asian countries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hmmm .... I'd be interested to know if this kind of thing is as prevalent in the likes of Vietnam or Cambodia because I never read or hear about it in other Asian countries. 

If you do a web search, you are likely to find stories of child abuse, in those (and other)  Countries . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Police this is exactly what do with your plastic bags use them without delay ????

Are you kidding, they would get away with it way too easily. Let them rot in prison and hope they develop kidney stones without treatment.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where does it say 'all'. You made that up.

Where does it say "some"? Where does it differentiate between groups? "Thai people" means exactly what it says.

Look closely and you'll see I asked a question. One that has not been answered yet. Thus, I have not made anything up.

• Haha 1

Totally disgusting.  Take a molested 11 year old child and  chain her up like an animal because she doesn’t listen or behave as they would like.  
And someone sees it and doesn’t report it right away.  And is any action going to be taken to investigate this adult that allegedly molested her?  
A part of the issue is the mentality of some of the people.  And their 18th century ways of thinking and ignorance.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:53 AM, webfact said:

They claimed that tying her up was for her own good as she had been involved in a molestation incident with a man called Love, aged 45.

So it was her fault was it, the mentality of some here goes beyond words, they chained her up while they went to work, Say WHAT ! no fear the man would come back while she was chained up. Jeez, and where is the man now ? still wandering around ?, did these grandparents even report it ?

• Like 1

I remember a young father once telling me how he 'trained' his 2 year old daughter not to run on the road. He made her step on the road repeatedly then smacked her immediately. He honestly thought he was protecting her. I did put him right on the matter and threatened to call social services. His girlfriend kicked him out shortly afterwards. These grandparents seem to be of the same ilk.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:57 AM, steven100 said:

vile Thai people ...  they really are the worst kind.

Why single out Thais, a lot of this goes on in the"perfect" west you are from, but hey ignore that and attack Thailand and Thais

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lopchan said:

Why single out Thais, a lot of this goes on in the"perfect" west you are from, but hey ignore that and attack Thailand and Thais

The story is about an incident which occurred in Thailand ....  nothing to do with the west. 

Try to keep up .....   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The story is about an incident which occurred in Thailand ....  nothing to do with the west. 

Try to keep up .....   

NS Sherlock, my point is your statement "vile Thai people ...  they really are the worst kind."  reflects your disdain for Thai people.

Edited by Lopchan
typo
  • Haha 1