Diet Soup

ataloss

I once came across a Diet Soup recipe in the Pattaya Mail about 4 years ago. Been trying to track it down through the back issues of 'Modern Medicine: by Dr. Iain Corness, Consultant' to no avail. A search here, under 'diet soup', brought up pages of unrelated data.

So, just wondering if any of you good folks have a copy you might post. Regards....

• 3 weeks later...
I once came across a Diet Soup recipe in the Pattaya Mail about 4 years ago. Been trying to track it down through the back issues of 'Modern Medicine: by Dr. Iain Corness, Consultant' to no avail. A search here, under 'diet soup', brought up pages of unrelated data.

So, just wondering if any of you good folks have a copy you might post. Regards....

Eureka!

I sent the following e-mail to the Pattaya Mail and lo and behold received the recipe for ‘diet soup’ which I could not find in their archives as it was entitled ‘Cardiac unit diet’:

Subj: Modern Medicine: by Dr. Iain Corness, Consultant : Modern Medicine archived article containing the recipe for Diet Soup

About 3 to 4 years ago I came across an article by Dr. Iain Corness on a diet soup. I believe it was used at a prominent Thai Hospital.

I made copies in 2004, handing them out to family and friends. Unfortunately my archives prior to 2005 were lost and so I am unable to retrieve the diet soup recipe. I have been searching your archives for some time now to no avail.

Would you kindly forward a copy of the diet soup recipe article to me? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards.... [end e-mail]

Dr Corness has just kindly and promptly replied with the article as follows, which I now wish to share with you: Hopefully it will do the trick for some of us. :o

[Article begins]

Cardiac unit diet - fast weight loss?

The other day I noticed a friend of mine had dropped some weight. "Fifteen kilos in two months," was his proud reply. He had done this by following a diet – and one that had obviously worked! This is put forward as a seven day diet, and although I am not always in favour of 'crash' diets, this one does merit some study.

It is reputedly from Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital and is used in their cardiac care unit for overweight patients to lose weight prior to surgery.

It states the first no-no's as being bread, alcohol, soft drinks, fried food or oil. Agree totally.

After that there is a concoction called Fat-Burning Soup (FBS) which you make up and keep in the fridge. You gobble FBS any time you feel hungry and have as much as you want.

You are also advised to drink plenty of water – 6–8 glasses a day along with tea, coffee, skim milk, unsweetened juice or cranberry juice.

The physiology of hunger works that when the stomach is empty, messages are sent to the brain to send down food.

Fill the belly with non-fattening food and the hunger pangs will be less, but the weight does not go on.

Here is the recipe for the Fat-Burning Soup:

Ingredients:

4 cloves garlic

2 large cans crushed tomatoes (810gms)

2 large cans beef consommé

1 packet vegetable packet soup

1 bunch spring onions

1 bunch celery

2 cans French beans (or fresh)

2 green capsicum

1kg carrots

10 cups water

Chop all veggies into small pieces. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes stirring well and then simmer until vegies are tender. Add water if necessary to make a thinner soup.

Now the other downside to dieting is food boredom. A week of FBS, water and cranberry juice will sap the resolve of most overweight people, so what this diet does is allow you to add different items on a daily basis. Here are the suggestions.

Day 1 - any fruit except bananas. Eat only soup and fruit today.

Day 2 - all vegetables. Eat as much as you like of fresh, raw or canned vegetables. Try to eat green leafy vegetables. Stay away from dry beans, peas, and corn. Eat vegetables along with soup. At dinner reward yourself with a jacket potato and butter.

Day 3 - eat all the soup, fruit and veggies you want today. Don't have the jacket potato today. If you have not cheated you should have lost approx 3 kg.

Day 4 - bananas and skim milk. Eat at least 3 large bananas and drink as much milk as you can today. Eat as much soup as you want. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates, as is the milk but you will need the potassium and carbohydrates today.

Day 5 - beef and tomatoes. You may have 600 gm of beef or chicken (no skin) and as many as 6 tomatoes. Eat soup at least once.

Day 6 - beef and vegetables. Eat to your hearts content of beef and veggies. You can even have 2-3 steaks (grilled) if you like with leafy green vegetables. No baked potato. Be sure to eat soup at least once.

Day 7 - brown rice, vegetables, fruit juice

Be sure to eat well and eat as much soup as you can. By the end of day 7, if you have not cheated, you should have lost 7 kg. The theory is good, but I caution against losing too much, too soon. [Article ends]

• 2 months later...

Hello,

The best thing to do is eat a little bit less than you would normally eat. Do regular exercise and you should be good.

Don't believe in the marketing hype, they just want you to spend more money. Loosing weight take hard work and patient,

depend on how much you want to loose, it can be done just keep at it. Good luck to you.

Edited by Aries74

I tried this method about 25 years ago with positive results...it is effective for rapid initial weight loss (encouraging when beginning a weight loss regime) but should not be repeated more than 2 cycles in a row. I read back then that the method was developed by physicians as a pre major surgery measure for fat people who are at greater risk when going under the knife...

OK in the short term but not useful for maintaining long term weight loss...need to change eating habits... :o

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, the smell of the soup can be a problem...I've found that keeping the soup in a tightly closed container in the fridge then heating portions (I do 1/2 liter - two coffee mugs worth per portion) to be consumed and then putting it thru a blender will minimize the damage. The liquidized product is quite nice, I've found...