Off lease honda motorcycles, how are they sold?

AKJeff

Pardon any spelling mistakes, I am typing on my phone without my glasses.

I was at a Honda Big Wing in Bangkok a couple of days ago.  I wanted to look a 2022 model cb500x.  They didn't have any at the dealership so I started looking around.  Outside there werr a lot of used motorcycles, most of which I think were owned and in for service but there were four cb500x bikes that all had the same aftermarket equipment on them.  It looked like they came from a motorcycle touring company but that is just a guess.  I inquired inside and the person said that Big Wing only sells new motorcycles but couldn't tell me what would become of these.

If I was to guess they were either repossessed for non payment or were end of lease returns. But they were all 2022 models.  I took a picture of the sticker that was on one of the motorcycles and will attach it to this post.

My question is, does anyone know what happens to these bikes?  How will they be sold?  If at a dealer auction, is there a way to have a dealer try and buy a particular bike?  If so does anyone know contact details for them?

I think this is a long shot but I kind of liked the way the bikes were set up.  If I could get a dealer to pick one up for a fee that might be something I am interested in.20220808_193924.jpg.4d83370a1ffa8fa4ab31646587fd0d43.jpg

According to some random VIN number decoder this is motorbike with serial number 00001, so it would be the first 2022 CB500X which was produced in Thailand. Did you also take pictures of the other bikes? Might be serial numbers 2, 3, 4. Probably these bikes are used for promo purposes by Honda.

No, I only took a picture of the one sticker.  

That is a good theory.   These four bikes could have been a Honda promotion that they took around to show off the new model. They all had aftermarket tires so I was thinking something else but maybe honda put the dirt tires on for some off road demonstrations.

I still wonder if they are going to sell them.  

• Like 1

My only experience is in Indonesia. There Honda dealerships only sell new bikes as you mentioned but each dealership had another outlet in town under a different name where the used bikes where sold.????

Doesn't seem logical that they would go to auction as that may not yield enough but they may do. There are two types of auction. One for bike up to 150cc which are held every week, i believe, and one for bike over `150 which are either once every 2 or 4 weeks. 

64 dollar question? Where is the over 150 auction site.

Maybe Mark at BSR Bike shop can help you?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, AKJeff said:

I still wonder if they are going to sell them.  

My friend who I do bike trips with is selling his CB500X he has ordered a new Triumph, he will let the cb go for 140,000 baht if your interested he will be back in September he comes to Thailand 6 months a year and works 6 months UK. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My friend who I do bike trips with is selling his CB500X he has ordered a new Triumph, he will let the cb go for 140,000 baht if your interested he will be back in September he comes to Thailand 6 months a year and works 6 months UK. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Forgot to add 6 years old this coming 2022 December, colour black, 18,000 kilos, Like new condition. 

Edited by Kwasaki

A friend recently returned from Chiang Mai. I don't know the location but he visited a large used motorbike warehouse with , in his words, hundreds of motorbikes. All displayed with prices. 

There must be similar in other cities.

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

A friend recently returned from Chiang Mai. I don't know the location but he visited a large used motorbike warehouse with , in his words, hundreds of motorbikes. All displayed with prices. 

Much of any big bike there.? 

Google: "Motorcycle auction Bangkok"  There are several auction houses specializing in motorcycles/motorbikes.  Most have websites listing stock for upcoming auctions.

It is a <deleted> shoot.  AFAIK, you can't test ride or even start them.  Gotta be a lot of flood vehicles floating around in auctions and on Facebook.

Thanks, I will keep it in mind.  There were some changes to the 2022 model that got me looking at new.  The reason these used bike were so interesting was that they were the 2022 model.  That being said, I don't think I will find a used this model year up for sale so I will let you know.

• 4 weeks later...

This guy sells near new bikes.  I got my Forza from him it had a couple hundred km on it but came at a good discount and like new.   Didn't ask too many questions but I would say they were repos. He's always got new bikes coming in and they move fast too.

IMG_20220903_224824.jpg

Edited by LikeItHot

On 8/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, VocalNeal said:

That place is a dump.  The OP is looking for something in premium condition