Author Salman Rushdie attacked on stage at event in New York

Scott

May be an image of 1 person

Author Salman Rushdie was attacked on stage at an event in western New York on Friday morning.

Rushdie was scheduled to speak at the Chautauqua Institution.

According to an Associated Press reporter, Rushdie was attacked by a man who hopped on stage while he was being introduced.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/salman-rushdie-author-attacked-stage-new-york-lecture-153634682.html

YahooNews.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Rushdie is a brilliant author. Any of you read "The Satanic Verses"? Brilliant fantasy/magic realism tour de force. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the Ayatollah never read even a paragraph of this wonderful book. If you're not willing to read the book (and even think about it) you shouldn't be able to issue a fatwa.

Like Rushdie's friend Hitchens wrote in his book "God is not great: how religion poisons everything"

• Like 2

Oh my goodness gracious me.

On a thread about the attempted murder of Salman Rushdie, did I really just read posts attempting to compare aborting human life to some words in a book?

Wow.

Bringing up bombing of abortion clinics (!) on a thread about violent Islamic extremism really is uncalled for. Everyone should leave their silly identity politics nonsense out of this.

Hope Salman makes as full a recovery as possible and with a massive boost in The Satanic Verses book sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

I don't believe you were the poster that I was responding to. Glad that you understand that the two are the same.

Not even close. Try taking a look at dome damning polling data.

But glad you crassly took the opportunity to insert your extremist culture war nonsense into a thread about the attempted murder of a renowned author.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 5:50 PM, Atlantis said:

Not even close. Try taking a look at dome damning polling data.

But glad you crassly took the opportunity to insert your extremist culture war nonsense into a thread about the attempted murder of a renowned author.

Sigh. It's now impossible to untangle the thread since a number of the posts including my original one and your response were deleted by admins. 

To clarify since you're angry at me for some reason even though we're in agreement...I responded to Richard Coleman's typical attempt to indeed "insert [his] extremist culture war nonsense into a thread about the attempted murder of a renowned author." You then responded to me as if I were Richard Coleman. His post is still there if you'd care to redirect your anger to the correct source. Why he is allowed to post his nonsense while the rest of us have ours deleted is not something I know since I'm not a moderator. Perhaps Richard Coleman is?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was one paragraph in a book 

Yes - the book was not anti-muslim at all - it's about a guy that falls out of an airplane and survives and... well it's been 20+ years since I read it.

Bottom line - I doubt he thought it would cause such a stir and if you read it (like most here appear to have not), you'll be mostly scratching your head about the fuss it caused.

On 8/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, Emdog said:

Rushdie is a brilliant author. Any of you read "The Satanic Verses"? Brilliant fantasy/magic realism tour de force. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the Ayatollah never read even a paragraph of this wonderful book. If you're not willing to read the book (and even think about it) you shouldn't be able to issue a fatwa.

Like Rushdie's friend Hitchens wrote in his book "God is not great: how religion poisons everything"

I have to disagree (about brilliant). He is very scholarly and masters the language very well, but the plots of all his books are totally boring to me. Factually impossible, repetitive (always something to do with indian immigrants here and there), banging on and on about indian heritage. The SV resembles Ramayana more than a novel... two guys who survive an air crash and have god-like powers and transfer personalities. The part about the Prophet is stuck there without any purpose.

If I want "brilliant fantasy/magic realism" I watch the Sixth Sense, the stuff by Rushdie is boring.

Going to one of his lectures must require coffee by intravenous. Solely my opinion of course.

This said, no justification for the attack - which in the end will glorify the author even more and completely defy the intended purpose.

I agree with religion poisoning, but this holds true for all religions. Posters quick to wish a ban of Islam (how??) should perhaps consider the track record of Christian religion, starting with the Inquisition and the forced conversion of indigenous people all over the world.

33 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Bottom line - I doubt he thought it would cause such a stir

I’m sorry, while nothing justifies the over reaction to the book, the attempts to silence artistic license and freedom of speech, the attempt on the author’s life by a bigot (who I hope rots in a cell till the day he dies), I find it very hard to believe for one second Rushdie did not know exactly how offensive religious zealots would find that passage in his book.  

Let me emphasise again, I have no sympathy or empathy for the reaction the book caused, but come on…it is not credible for me to believe Rushdie wasn’t aware of how some would react. 

Edited by Bluespunk

34 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Yes - the book was not anti-muslim at all - it's about a guy that falls out of an airplane and survives and... well it's been 20+ years since I read it.

If they hadn't made all the fuss the book would hardly have been heard of outside of the world of university literature studies, just like all the stuff he has ever put out (except for Midnight's Children and his children's story book, which probably sold 12 copies).

I only read one of his novels since, that was enough.  I've seen him interviewed, on tv and once a live appearance.  I get the impression he's a jerk.