Used Camera Shop

ryanwiley

Anybody know of a good used camera shop in Bangkok. I know there are lots in Fortune town. I'm looking for a personal recommendation to a particular shop from someone who recently had a good experience with knowledgeable sales staff...good service...fair price prices, etc.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What are you looking for ?

I have a Sony @6000 with a few extra lens I no longer use, since upgrading.

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for to be honest. I enjoy cooking and made a website and YouTube cooking channel, http://wholefoodplantbasedrecipes.com/.

I film all the video and take all the pictures on my 4 year old Samsung J7+ phone. There is nothing particularly wrong with my phone, but I'd like a better depth of field for the pics and perhaps a bigger sensor to capture detail and get a little more creative with focus points and manual controls. 

I'm at Fortune Town now and have looked at a nice full frame Cannon EOS RP (32,000 baht) body only...and a cheaper Sony ZV - E10 (26,000 baht) with a 16-50 lens (really nice little camera).

I also found a used Cannon 800D with a kit lens for 14,000, which is really interesting to me...full feature DSLR but used and not too expensive. I'm just worried about getting ripped off, as I really don't know a lot about checking for issues with a used camera. 

I'm also considering just buying a new iPhone, as the new cameras are supposed to be really good. 

Any suggestions? The one thing I really want to have is screen that flips out, so I can see what I'm filming. What model is your Sony--I'm most interested in used gear in good condition.

Cheers

2 hours ago, dddave said:

There is an older shopping mall in Chinatown called MEGA PLAZA, about 100 yards from the new Sam Yot MRT.  The 4th level of this mall is almost all photo equipment dealers with both new and used equipment.  There are also several repair shops where you can have a used camera tested  before you buy.

If you want a mind boggling used camera experience, about a kilometer from the Samrong BTS station is LUCKY HOME, a very large 2nd hand store, more a warehouse really.  There you will find multiple aisles with shelving and bins loaded with thousands of used cameras and lenses.  Most are kaput but there are treasures to be found if you're willing to dig. 

Exit the BTS on the even soi side and take a motorbike.  Very difficult to find walking.

Thanks for that info! I'm at Fortune Town now and will hop on the train and head over to Sam Yot! 

15 minutes ago, ryanwiley said:

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for to be honest. I enjoy cooking and made a website and YouTube cooking channel, http://wholefoodplantbasedrecipes.com/.

I film all the video and take all the pictures on my 4 year old Samsung J7+ phone. There is nothing particularly wrong with my phone, but I'd like a better depth of field for the pics and perhaps a bigger sensor to capture detail and get a little more creative with focus points and manual controls. 

I'm at Fortune Town now and have looked at a nice full frame Cannon EOS RP (32,000 baht) body only...and a cheaper Sony ZV - E10 (26,000 baht) with a 16-50 lens (really nice little camera).

I also found a used Cannon 800D with a kit lens for 14,000, which is really interesting to me...full feature DSLR but used and not too expensive. I'm just worried about getting ripped off, as I really don't know a lot about checking for issues with a used camera. 

I'm also considering just buying a new iPhone, as the new cameras are supposed to be really good. 

Any suggestions? The one thing I really want to have is screen that flips out, so I can see what I'm filming. What model is your Sony--I'm most interested in used gear in good condition.

Cheers

My input is don't  touch iphones with a bargepole

And never buy a second  hand camera.

Your subject matter does not require a sophisticated  camera- nothing that can't be supplanted  by interesting editing

26 minutes ago, ryanwiley said:

What model is your Sony--I'm most interested in used gear in good condition.

Cheers

My Sony is @6000, no flip screen.  I'm a Sony fan, and mirrorless only.  Have 3 of their APS-C bodies, @6000 & two @6400.  I would stick with Sony or Canon, as they'll be around for some time.  Others are not doing very well.

Simply getting a new iPhone or Google Pixel would also be a very good option, as both have amazing cameras.   Probably better & easier to use for indoor photo & vlogging/vids.  Learn the settings and both never models should fit you DOF requirements.

@0:40 on the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDMySukQ98&t=308s&ab_channel=Tony%26ChelseaNorthrup

After buying my latest phone, I rarely use my Sony kits, except for wildlife.

Phone is as good or better for most things, except wildlife.

Negative about phones, they are not designed to last, battery wise, as few now have removable batteries, or if so, will they be available 3-4-5 yrs from now.  They really can't improve the phone/camera any more than they are, so force you to buy new ones, because your battery c r a p p e d out.  That's just sad.

I just threw away 3 phone (moving & found) and all were replaced due to battery being unavailable.  Time for upgrades, since old, but, not a necessity to replace if battery was available.

Last phone I bought, one of the last good ones I could find with a nice Sony sensor & removeable battery.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

My Sony is @6000, no flip screen.  I'm a Sony fan, and mirrorless only.  Have 3 of their APS-C bodies, @6000 & two @6400.  I would stick with Sony or Canon, as they'll be around for some time.  Others are not doing very well.

Simply getting a new iPhone or Google Pixel would also be a very good option, as both have amazing cameras.   Probably better & easier to use for indoor photo & vlogging/vids.  Learn the settings and both never models should fit you DOF requirements.

@0:40 on the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDMySukQ98&t=308s&ab_channel=Tony%26ChelseaNorthrup

After buying my latest phone, I rarely use my Sony kits, except for wildlife.

Phone is as good or better for most things, except wildlife.

Negative about phones, they are not designed to last, battery wise, as few now have removable batteries, or if so, will they be available 3-4-5 yrs from now.  They really can't improve the phone/camera any more than they are, so force you to buy new ones, because your battery c r a p p e d out.  That's just sad.

I just threw away 3 phone (moving & found) and all were replaced due to battery being unavailable.  Time for upgrades, since old, but, not a necessity to replace if battery was available.

Last phone I bought, one of the last good ones I could find with a nice Sony sensor & removeable battery.

Too bad no flip screen on the a6000...I really have a hard time seeing what I'm filming in those overhead cooking shots! I visited a couple of the Sony stores (Central RAMA 9 and EmQuartier)...beautiful stores. I think you're right...Sony seems to be getting better, while some of the older brands seem to be a bit outdated. I'm really leaning towards the Sony ZV-E10....does everything I need and not too expensive.

I agree that the smartphone option is a good one. I'm really intrigued by the amazing AI software that smartphone makers are putting into their cameras...amazing stuff! The only problem I have with buying an expensive smartphone for the camera is that I'll then be carrying around my nice camera with me everywhere I go--and I'm likely to break it. If I were to go jogging--or bar hopping--and lose or break my old, cheap Samsung phone I wouldn't really care. If I got silly and smashed a 43,000 baht iPhone I'd be pretty annoyed with myself!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryanwiley said:

Too bad no flip screen on the a6000...I really have a hard time seeing what I'm filming in those overhead cooking shots! I visited a couple of the Sony stores (Central RAMA 9 and EmQuartier)...beautiful stores. I think you're right...Sony seems to be getting better, while some of the older brands seem to be a bit outdated. I'm really leaning towards the Sony ZV-E10....does everything I need and not too expensive.

I agree that the smartphone option is a good one. I'm really intrigued by the amazing AI software that smartphone makers are putting into their cameras...amazing stuff! The only problem I have with buying an expensive smartphone for the camera is that I'll then be carrying around my nice camera with me everywhere I go--and I'm likely to break it. If I were to go jogging--or bar hopping--and lose or break my old, cheap Samsung phone I wouldn't really care. If I got silly and smashed a 43,000 baht iPhone I'd be pretty annoyed with myself!

Good choice

7 hours ago, dddave said:

I was watching a video on making cooking videos.  It seems they frequently use elaborate mirror arrangements shooting food being cooked so cameras and lenses aren't exposed to steam and oil spatter.

Or simply move gear back a bit and zoom in.  Better gear, more options.  Some vloggers do all their work with a phone, and other's have 3 different cameras, and both turn out excellent content.

I watched a short movie, entirely shot on an iPhone ... damn impressive.

7 hours ago, dddave said:

I was watching a video on making cooking videos.  It seems they frequently use elaborate mirror arrangements shooting food being cooked so cameras and lenses aren't exposed to steam and oil spatter.

My set up is not that sophisticated...just a basic tripod and some lights. For the overhead shots, I put my iPad or phone on the shelf above the counter and set a heavy book on it! I did just order a boom to try for the overhead shots. I don't have any problem with oil splatter, but I do get a bit of steam coming up into the lens.

Was hoping to wake up this morning and have some clarity about the new Sony or the iPhone...still can't decide!!

1614495690275.jpg.05ef8fd548e2e90c2d0439a6b54cdc52.jpg

1614495664250.jpg.0fd8edbeb7a821730e5dc43729d1e8b0.jpg1614348919439.jpg.f3cd2b814575294e0697532992937237.jpg1614496756815.jpg.1ffd438a05d929e6f869dd318450216f.jpg

1614348919439.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Or simply move gear back a bit and zoom in.  Better gear, more options.  Some vloggers do all their work with a phone, and other's have 3 different cameras, and both turn out excellent content.

I watched a short movie, entirely shot on an iPhone ... damn impressive.

Moving the gear back (up in this case) is exactly what I did to avoid the steam problem...but now I have to get up on a chair to see the screen and frame the shot! LOL ....the flip screen on the Sony ZV-E10 would take care of that problem! (talking myself into buying it) ????

34 minutes ago, ryanwiley said:

Moving the gear back (up in this case) is exactly what I did to avoid the steam problem...but now I have to get up on a chair to see the screen and frame the shot! LOL ....the flip screen on the Sony ZV-E10 would take care of that problem! (talking myself into buying it) ????

Actually a remote with an aux monitor would eliminate the need for a chair.

That is a nice camera for your needs.  And the inexpensive kit lens 16-50mm is quite nice for the price.  I have 3 of them, came with the camera bodies, and was an excellent all around lens.  Only gets negative reviews from people not knowing how to use.

When ready and have the extra $$$, then can upgrade to better lens, if wanting.  I don't use my kit lens any more, as upgraded.  Not a negative, just an upgrade.  My main interest being wildlife, birds, so 50 or 210mm isn't nearly enough reach for wildlife.   

Unless pixel peeking, hard to tell the difference, especially when uploaded to social media, as most looking at on small screens.   I use a 65" monitor, and anything smaller than 1080p will show  imperfections.

Many of these, early ones (page 7,8 & 9), taken with @6000 + kit lenses (16-50mm/55-210mm).  7 & 5 yr old tech, though way ahead of it's time back then.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/page7

Edited by KhunLA

On 8/14/2022 at 10:04 AM, KhunLA said:

Actually a remote with an aux monitor would eliminate the need for a chair.

That is a nice camera for your needs.  And the inexpensive kit lens 16-50mm is quite nice for the price.  I have 3 of them, came with the camera bodies, and was an excellent all around lens.  Only gets negative reviews from people not knowing how to use.

When ready and have the extra $$$, then can upgrade to better lens, if wanting.  I don't use my kit lens any more, as upgraded.  Not a negative, just an upgrade.  My main interest being wildlife, birds, so 50 or 210mm isn't nearly enough reach for wildlife.   

Unless pixel peeking, hard to tell the difference, especially when uploaded to social media, as most looking at on small screens.   I use a 65" monitor, and anything smaller than 1080p will show  imperfections.

Many of these, early ones (page 7,8 & 9), taken with @6000 + kit lenses (16-50mm/55-210mm).  7 & 5 yr old tech, though way ahead of it's time back then.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/page7

Those are some great shots! The color in some of those birds is amazing! Big fan of the reptiles, too!

What mm lens are you using to get those bird shots....they must be pretty far away!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ryanwiley said:

Those are some great shots! The color in some of those birds is amazing! Big fan of the reptiles, too!

What mm lens are you using to get those bird shots....they must be pretty far away!

Thanks

Many of them, first 6 months having the camera, were exclusively the kit lens (16-50mm).  Then I bought what some consider the telephoto kit lens, 55-210mm.  Definitely better for wildlife, if not going 'all in' expensive, relative.

Sony now offers a better 70-350mm lens for those not wanting, needing to make a bigger leap.

They kind of got put in the closet, when I picked up a better lens, 18-105mm G F4.  Could actually crop/zoom in post, and get equal or better results than the 210mm.  Pricier lens for a reason, and really nice all around lens.  Stays on the one @6400 body.

Then for wildlife, actually needed if shooting birds, I picked up the SEL200600G lens, as named, 200-600mm.  Very impressive, and almost expensive, 69k baht.  And that stays on my other @6400 body.

Since on a APS-C body, the 600=900mm

Keep the @6000, for my 'specialty' lens;

35mm f1.7 ... for night time, and super bokeh (blurring)

12mm f2 for again low light & wide landscape shots

TBH, I rarely use the @6000, as the phone does an excellent job in low light & landscape.  Not so much with bokeh, but the other @6400s will fill in nicely if wanting.

I say the SEL200600G is almost expensive, as next step up, 600F4 prime lens is $10k USD ????

1614691237599.jpg

Edited by KhunLA