Bangkok governor concerned about alleged open marijuana smoking on Khao San Road

webfact

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

I was out for jogging on Khao San Road today, and I could smell joint’s smoke

Yep, I regularly smell the Ganja when out and about. 

It doesn't bother me but it's going to be a nightmare for authorities to control. 

• Like 1

but smell was coming rather from some hotel room, he hasn't seen anybody smoking.

So as smell of tobacco.

As public ganja smoking is not allowed the only place tourist can get puff is hotel room (if indeed it's a smoking room).  

It's double standard law - tobacco is tolerated in many more public places

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

but smell was coming rather from some hotel room, he hasn't seen anybody smoking.

So as smell of tobacco.

As public ganja smoking is not allowed the only place tourist can get puff is hotel room (if indeed it's a smoking room).  

It's double standard law - tobacco is tolerated in many more public places

The rule about public smoking of ganja, has a caveat.

If the public place is set aside as a "reefer" bar, there is no restriction smoking weed in that bar, tobacco is still banned, because second hand tobacco smoke is far more carcinogenic than cannabis smoke. 

The only other current restriction is that if a member of the public makes a complaint to police, then they will take action under the public nusciance laws.

There has to be an actual complaint before the law is able to take effect! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

If the public place is set aside as a "reefer" bar, there is no restriction smoking weed in that bar, tobacco is still banned, because second hand tobacco smoke is far more carcinogenic than cannabis smoke.

So are you not allowed to smoke joints rolled with a weed-tobacco mix in these bars?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said on Friday, August 12th, “I was out for jogging on Khao San Road today, and I could smell joint’s smoke. It is quite concerning because it might have a long-term effect.” The smoke, according to him, was in the breeze, and he was certain it was the smell of marijuana.”

No worse than the sewers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chalawaan said:

All olfactory reminders that there are far worse evils in this world to wake up to -and deal with; than a bit of herbal happiness. 

Yes. If you were downwind of a young me relieving flatulence after consuming six pints of draft Double Diamond you would have something to gasp about.......????

• Haha 1

I suspect that the many of tourists who frequent Khao San Road have probably sampled weed before at some point and therefore know exactly what to expect.

If people are offended by the smell of cannabis then try another venue! :stoner:

• Like 1