Instant noodle makers set to request 2-baht per packet increase of retail price

snoop1130

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The manufacturers attributed the heightened costs to the Russia-Ukraine conflict and the increase in energy prices. They reported that wheat prices have risen by 2-3 folds and other raw materials have also appreciated in price.

Does Thailand have NO land or fields for growing wheat ? As a bowl of noodles must be killing the climate !

• Like 1

A 33% increase in one go. Seems a bit steep at first glance, yet how much has other foodstuffs risen in the last 14 years. 

However, I have to agree with Richard, why not grow more wheat at home. Everyone I know is complaining about the small profit on rice. Millions of acres devoted to growing corn for biofuel. Maybe time to diversify a bit more. Probably a simplistic idea as I am not a farmer. I am sure more knowledgeable members will put forward the pro's and cons.

I would like to think that this 33 % increase that the Noodle Manufactures are asking for now, will also have taken into consideration the 18 % rise in the cost of Electric due to start on 1 st September.

From 4.0 Baht to 4.73 Baht / Unit cost, and dont forget the service charge , VAT and the other add ons that will send the price to over 5 Baht / Unit cost

Or will they be going back for more Money ?

These Electric price increase is going to add massive costs onto all Products from the Factory Gates as Manufacturers ramp up there charges for their goods.

Everything from Toilet Rolls to Noodles to cars is going to increase in cost, which will transmit into even more Inflation, that already seems to be out of control.

• Like 1

This is outrageous. When I came to Thailand many years ago, they were only 5 baht a packet. When they went up to 6 the impact on my Budgeting was nearly enough to force me back home. Another 2 baht increase will make me destitute! Just euthanise me now!

50 minutes ago, Katipo said:

This is outrageous. When I came to Thailand many years ago, they were only 5 baht a packet. When they went up to 6 the impact on my Budgeting was nearly enough to force me back home. Another 2 baht increase will make me destitute! Just euthanise me now!

Edited by bradiston

At Walmart I buy a 12 pack box of Express brand ramen with 3 ounce packs for $2.88 which comes to 24 cents a pack vs. a 2.11 ounce pack of Mama for 23 cents (with the 2 baht raise) in Thailand.

I have seen Mama sold at one Hawaii supermarket for 80 cent a pack which is more than 3 times the cost of the Express brand.

I often use ramen mixed in with stir fry pork and vegetables, a dish my Thai wife likes.

I think 2 baht increase after 10 years is quite reasonable.

The local stalls are charging me an increase of 10 baht (or more) for one plate of rice and dish.

I used to pay 35 baht but now stalls are charging me 45 baht or 50 baht per plate.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1