Restaurant recommendation in Chiang Mai?

huangnon

I've booked a week's holiday next month in Chiang Mai. I've not visited CM since the height of Covid in late 2020, so not sure which restaurants are still in business. I would like somewhere special (local or European food) to take the family on my birthday.

(Searched for an existing thread, but nothing came up). Thanks in advance. ????

Fancy a steak? Le Bistro is just off Thapae and does a wonderful steak and other French delights.

Italian food and fabulous wine selection appeal? Enoteca. Its 10 minutes out of town.

Thai food would recommend Wanlamun Rim Nam. Its well smart and a touch pricey. Its beside the river in an excellent garden setting and worth the cost.

• Like 1

Thai cuisine is subdivided into at least 4 main regional styles.  Central Thai is the one known best outside of Thailand and includes green and red curries, panang, lots of fresh water and ocean fish dishes, and most of the better known noodle dishes.  I only know a few of the Northern or Issan dishes well and even fewer of the Southern specialties.

For decent Central style, I like We-La-Dee:

https://g.page/weladeechiangmai?share

Also mainly Central style but closer in try Lemontree at :

https://goo.gl/maps/p8p4LXfDAPjv7FbZ7

For Italian with a Thai influence, I like Sipolle at:

https://goo.gl/maps/n4aMV87dwXbthMXd9

Another poster recommended The Dukes. You asked for European or Thai, but they serve a very American style of pizza, pasta, hamburgers, etc.  For that style of food, I really like The Dukes.

Bon appétit!

• Like 1

I second Weladee, Enoteca and Wanlamun Rim Naam. For a pleasant outdoor lunch beside the river try Nakara Jardin near Alliance Francais and for beautifully presented Thai cuisine there is Krua Ajarn Sayud, but take your own alcohol. Very inexpensive northern Thai food at Gramber is also a pleasant option being set in delightful gardens. And finally in the old city is la Fourchette for good French influenced cuisine opposite Wat Chedi Luang.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Streuth we're largely agreeing here and not one suggestion anywhere near Nimman. how refreshing.

Yup We-La-Dee is a good one. Its 15 minutes out of town but worth the trek and yes La Fourchette is excellent food just a little tight on space and only open evenings. 

Your in Chiang Mai and likely staying close to town so go for Wanlamun Rim Nam for exquisite Thai. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

https://www.facebook.com/wanlamuncm/

• Like 2

Hi, The Duke, Enoteca or the Nakara Jardin are all fine choices as others have suggested here.

The Bistrot is not bad, but depends on your budget, it is a pricier alternative than the above restaurants. I am French myself, and I would also recommend the Paris Restaurant, it is very similar food as the Bistrot, traditional French Food, but with much bigger portons at roughly half the price. I myself really enjoy that restaurant and go there regularly. 

• Like 1

We had a nice time at the Kantoke side trip. Dinner theatre show with dancing etc, and a diverse northern style dinner. Your hotel will know. Very touristy but fun. There are plenty of nice restaurants but I tend to be disappointed with most of the falang food. Get that in BKK.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the recommendations, lots of options here.. ???? Good to hear that Duke's and Le Bistrot are still doing well.

Is "David's Kitchen" now permanently closed? If so, that is a shame.

Edited by huangnon

Yes, sadly David's Kitchen is permanently closed. It became very reliant on Chinese customers and so it's business was devastated by Covid. I much preferred it when it was at the original out of town riverside location rather than its city one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brommers said:

Yes, sadly David's Kitchen is permanently closed. It became very reliant on Chinese customers and so it's business was devastated by Covid. I much preferred it when it was at the original out of town riverside location rather than its city one.

Sad to hear, but thanks for the update.