Effective waste management starts with ‘environmental awareness’

snoop1130

Artboard-1-100.jpg

The destiny

In 1979, Werner Kossmann set foot in Thailand for the first time. “It was like destiny”, he said with a smile.

This country wasn’t, however, in his itinerary at all. Back then, while studying for his bachelor’s degree in agriculture, he joined a volunteer service program and was assigned to work for 2 years at the Nongpho Dairy Cooperative in Ratchaburi. Since then, he has been working on and off in Thailand.

At the moment, he is a Project Director of integrated waste and wastewater management for GHG reduction, GIZ Thailand. His organisation cooperates with the Pollution Control Department (PCD) to work on the National Roadmap on food waste, a result of Thailand’s commitment to the UN 2030 agenda to reduce food waste by 50% by 2030.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/effective-waste-management-starts-with-environmental-awareness/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Thai version of Environmental awareness is to just find any Hole of a convenient size, and fill it with all kinds of Commercial and Domestic Waste .

Their awareness also extends to just throwing Trash anywhere they may be, as well as polluting the Waters with all kinds of waste .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Thai version of Environmental awareness is to just find any Hole of a convenient size, and fill it with all kinds of Commercial and Domestic Waste .

Their awareness also extends to just throwing Trash anywhere they may be, as well as polluting the Waters with all kinds of waste .

Open air garbage dumps and burning trash isn't given a second thought.

Nobody seems to realize that its ruined the water supplies in most villages. Batteries, dead animals, paint cans, etc all thrown non discriminantly together.

unfortunately many thias have no regard or pride in their country, they do whatever is easiest for them, I have seen them ride their bikes and side cars to the jetty where my wife works and throw all their bagged household rubbish into the water on the shallow side then start to fish on the other side. You always see rubish being tossed from cars & bikes as well as piles of rubbish on any back streets where dumpers cant be seen easily. Its hard to walk anywhere in Thailand without seeing rubbish but no one sems to care, the stench from canals is also another by product from all the dumping as are all the filthy beaches after high tide. Personally I think a lot of it is just laziness, too hard for some to walk to a bin when the ground/water is closer, would be great if thais took more pride in the state of their country

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Mostly they don't even bother with a hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Food waste? Maybe in BK and other big cities (tourist), but not in smaller places. Garbage collection, maybe in bigger places but not in smaller ones. Water treatment? Maybe in bigger places.

But i think Werner will be only busy in BK.

So the Thai need a German to handle this, they cant do it them selves?

No education on universities on this? Ok let it be.

However start with awareness when young. My mum did and im still doing so. However many dont care. Youth now is bored and throw away everything they cant use on the streets or whatever. As long as they dont have to carry it anymore, as it is useless to them. Cans from energy drink, corona masks, water bottles and so on.

First time i came to my Thai mother in law, her place was a mess.

Nephew, niece and probably others instantly throw wraps away in mum's garden. I cleaned it.

Of course another year same problem. Too bad i cant speak Thai. 

Garbage handling cost money, of course Thai government are not into that. Thailand is not the only one, Bali seems to be a complete mess nowadays. Government dont care, until tourist will stay away of course.

On Bohol, nice place, i thought first, i was swimming in clear water, but it was polluted with lots of plastic. Took away all the fun and i will never go there again.  

Food waste? Saw docu USA, farmer had many ha of strawberries.

And there were more, so price went down. It was for the farmer the best to let all strawberries rot on the field instead of harvesting. Financially best for him.

Also here we have an overflow sometimes, it is thrown away to keep prices higher. 

In Libanon, the price of bread is sky high, people are starving of hunger.

Ukraine vessel of wheat was going there, finally. However the customer said, too late delivery, dont want it anymore !! People are fighting for bread?! Now they try to find another buyer. Really im flabbergasted.

• 2 months later...