Shooting At Had Rin

Thank you mr. mafia man :D :D :o

all of this stuff is more or less correct. mafia- yes. read " family".

all the laws and buisness dealing follow far behind the asain family-father is paramount.

allow for centuries of buddhist beliefs( i must say we farangs may have an idea, but it is only a peek. )boy am i going to get it.

follow with a healthy dose of "face",you have a formitable coctail, certainly difficult to interperet

quickly, when it matters most.

i survived a relationship with the regions " security lady ".it wasn't because of my wallet.

i know los and the only way to survive her loss of face was to permenantly leave the region.

i have been invited to drink with the "fathers" of the island group in question. unbelievable power.

i deeply respect them.

then and now.

java script:add_smilie(%22:wai:%22,%22smid_54%22)

girlx, just curious if by general public you mean local Thais or tourists? Local Thais know all about it, far more than you do, I suspect.

Tourists never know what goes on in the place they are visiting anyway, and most likely don't want to know every detail of sordid local crimes.

sounds more like thuggery than "mafia" to me. Mafia implies some sort of organisation & lets face it, if 6-7 blokes with machines guns can't kill one man in a confined space (car) then organised they aint :o

girlx, just curious if by general public you mean local Thais or tourists?

i meant the general public, ie. it is not reported in the news. i personally do want to know about stuff like this going on in my neighborhood as i would not want to be caught in the cross fire, and i like to know which people to avoid as they may attract this kind of problem (unfortunately i've learned i live surrounded by people who are like this, hence my thinking of leaving TNP). in the example i gave above of the guy being shot- i knew in advance he was hiding out from these people (who are part of a bigger group in surat thani). but an average tourist who hung out in his restaurant might have no idea he was the target of people like that and that it might be dangerous to be in his vicinity! he is a seemingly very nice family man. it's not always obvious who the thugs are.

girlx, just curious if by general public you mean local Thais or tourists? Local Thais know all about it, far more than you do, I suspect.

Tourists never know what goes on in the place they are visiting anyway, and most likely don't want to know every detail of sordid local crimes.

Seems like she would know as she's the one who told the story.

(unfortunately i've learned i live surrounded by people who are like this, hence my thinking of leaving TNP).

Leaving Tong Nai Pan won't make any difference, this stuff goes on all over. The top bloke in Koh Tao was shot while having lunch in a restuarant , policeman got shot in samui night club (and tourists took picture).

Not sure where would be safe to go , New york, Peckham, Hua hin , .......

(unfortunately i've learned i live surrounded by people who are like this, hence my thinking of leaving TNP).

Leaving Tong Nai Pan won't make any difference, this stuff goes on all over. The top bloke in Koh Tao was shot while having lunch in a restuarant , policeman got shot in samui night club (and tourists took picture).

Not sure where would be safe to go , New york, Peckham, Hua hin , .......

Koh Tao; Shot in his own restaurant.

Leaving Tong Nai Pan won't make any difference, this stuff goes on all over.

this is true, but i don't think i have ever lived anywhere before where 4 out of 5 of my neighbors are serious criminals! then again, people do wear very convincing masks- my stepfather is on death row for mass murder, and he was a mormon missionary and a pillar of the community in public... so your point is well made, you can't really predict. & still if there is information to be had, i would want to have it.

Edited by girlx

i think if someone is shot for business reasons. then that is a mafia style crime. i call it mafia becuase it sound like a proffesional killing for professional reasons. shut someone elses business down so the shooters can grow. or bececuase the other business was making proper problems with yours.

problem is that alot of born samui people have money. it does not cost that much to do someone. so they pay somene to clean there mess up. very easy for them very cheap, very happy :o

Edited by BigC

Mafia is a very flexible term in Thailand.

It can be anything ... from police (they are at least organized) ... to a a bunch of 'YaaBaa' crazy Haad Rin Bar Boys (not so organized) .. to influential locals politicians.

In other counties "Mafia" is used for a sophisticated criminal oranisation, but Thai's love it ... so everyone with a gun can be mafia, let them have their fun ...

About the story with 6 guys shooting someone with a automatic gun ... I believe it ... most Thais can't shoot and that's strange since most people have guns here ... More likely to hit the own foot.

He owned a restaurant on TNP or Sarat Thani? I often wonder why you are sill living there too.

the guy who got shot owns a restaurant in TNP, the people who shot him followed him here from surat thani.

i live here because for the first couple years a place like this is an idyllic life! but then you learn about what's underneath and it doesn't seem so idyllic anymore. :o i could still stay here but i would have to keep to myself, not get involved with anyone. there are some long term farangs living here successfully like that. they never leave their houses. to me that seems a sad way to live, so unless i can figure out another way, i probably will move elsewhere in thailand, or even elsewhere in the world. let's see.

And all this started because someone assumed a guy who was murdered on the beach in Had Rin was killed by "local mafia". As girlx has pointed out, even the guy she was talking about wasn't shot by locals!

Not every shooting is related to some criminal activity that has occurred. In fact, in all the years I've lived here, more have been for personal reasons than anything anyone could remotely claim as "mafia related".

that's true- most shootings here are over stupid personal problems (which doesn't make me feel more comfortable). but i still maintain there is a local "mafia" of sorts here who are dangerous.