Where to get vision/eye exam for prescription glasses?

Leveraged

Im struggling to get a real eye exam for prescription glasses. Went to bangkok hospital phuket and even calling beforehand and asking if the had the equipment (they said yes) I went and burned up 3K baht getting an eye "health" check. They didn't have the machine. 

Im just looking for a place that has this thing and knows how to use it. I have astigmatism. 

I ended up getting a little angry at BKK Hospital because all I wanted to do was get my vision checked and I ended up in there for an hour doing various tests and blood pressure checks etc only to be told "You dont need glasses". 

Can anyone assist? I would prefer somewhere in the south end of the island.

1706837916_EyeCheck.jpg.07d9f2fdcae7607178fcb51b9dc44d46.jpg

just go to a mom and pop store.     It might actually be free there.   drive around until you see glasses in the window, and walk inside.  the main chains can do it, but I had better experiences with the 1-2 person operation.    not too difficult.  

google maps, search eyeglasses.  

แว่นตา

this is what you are looking for

13 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

just go to a mom and pop store.     It might actually be free there.   drive around until you see glasses in the window, and walk inside.  the main chains can do it, but I had better experiences with the 1-2 person operation.    not too difficult.  

แว่นตา

Every optician has signs in English.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I find it impossible  to believe that Bangkok  Hospital  could not provide  you with a modern eye examination.

I don’t need an eye examination, I need my vision adjusted with prescription glasses. They had an auto refractor, which gets you in the prescription ballpark, but did not have the machine I posted in the OP to fine tune it. 

23 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

แว่นตา

you have astigmatism too?

4 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Why not try Top Charoen?

I did, and they also (at least the one I went to) just used the automatic machine. I assume this is common practice because they offer the test for free and with the machine it only takes about 10 seconds per eye, whereas the manual machine takes at least half an hour and requires a person be trained and competent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leveraged said:

I did, and they also (at least the one I went to) just used the automatic machine. I assume this is common practice because they offer the test for free and with the machine it only takes about 10 seconds per eye, whereas the manual machine takes at least half an hour and requires a person be trained and competent. 

The photo you showed looks like very old technology used for selecting a lense. First they test your eyes. I reiterate  my doubt that the  Bangkok  Hospital wouldn't  have the  best most modern equipment. Are you from England? If so  that might explain that you're  not used to seeing really modern equipment. BTW I have an astigmatism in both eyes and have had eye tests in England,  Thailand,  Vietnam, Kuwait  and Saudi.  Here in Thailand  you get the  best International  modern quality treatment far better than UK. Certainly just as good. Many British  people have never experienced top quality medical  treatment so when they get  it  as you did  in the Bangkok  Hospital its confusing  for them.

I'm also fond of the old school method of measuring your vision and correction (to include astigmatism, of course).  My recommendation is https://business.phuketindex.com/vision-institute.

They have exactly the equipment you're looking for.  It's old school.  It's the iterative measurement technique checked against your perception.  Has you look through a lens, then through another lens.  Which is better?  OK, with this lens added, is it better or not?  You need someone with patience, interest, and willing to take some time.  As you said the automatic machine gets you in the right ball park, but I believe the manual method yields a superior result over the automatic machine.  If you have your automatic machine results from Bangkok Phuket Hospital you can certainly discuss them with the optometrist at the Vision Institute if they are different than what he finds by his own examination.

The optometrist who practices at The Vision Institute also practices at Bangkok Phuket Hospital.  He speaks English well.  It's a one person shop.  He has limited office hours at the shop, you may need to make an appointment.  I rather enjoy talking to him, he's quite willing to explain what he's doing and why.  Prices are reasonable.

I dislike the big eyeglass chain stores, I fell like I'm purchasing a used car there. ????

By the way, the shop is on the same street as Bangkok Phuket Hospital and Vachira Hospital (between the two), closer to Vachira but on the opposite side of the street.

Edited by skatewash
Added directions.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Leveraged said:

I don’t need an eye examination, I need my vision adjusted with prescription glasses. They had an auto refractor, which gets you in the prescription ballpark, but did not have the machine I posted in the OP to fine tune it. 

Before you can be prescribed the correct lense you need an eye examination just the same as  every other  human being in the world who needs glasses. Based on your eye examination the exact, precise

'prescription' required is ascertained with multiple lenses being tested in a variety  of combinations until the correct  prescription is arrived at. Lenses are then manufactured  accordingly. This procedure is the same  throughout  the world.  Thai opticians and the relevant department of Thai hospitals have all the necessary modern and traditional  equipment the OP requires.

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The photo you showed looks like very old technology used for selecting a lense. First they test your eyes. I reiterate  my doubt that the  Bangkok  Hospital wouldn't  have the  best most modern equipment. Are you from England? If so  that might explain that you're  not used to seeing really modern equipment. BTW I have an astigmatism in both eyes and have had eye tests in England,  Thailand,  Vietnam, Kuwait  and Saudi.  Here in Thailand  you get the  best International  modern quality treatment far better than UK. Certainly just as good. Many British  people have never experienced top quality medical  treatment so when they get  it  as you did  in the Bangkok  Hospital its confusing  for them.

Sounds correct.

Going to a chain the person doing the measurements is a non professional.

You need at least a trained optometrist and better yet an ophthalmologist who can check if you have undiagnosed diseases.

• Like 1

As a hospital, BHP has doctors specializing in eye and vision care. They're called ophthalmologists. I've had lens replacement and laser surgery at that hospital.  I also asked them for a prescription for my eyes and they obliged, although they did make it known that they are not opticians.

Opticians are everywhere in Thailand, just not in the hospitals. Try any large shopping mall and look for a shop with a window festooned with glasses. It will probably be a Charon brand outlet. 

Edited by Old Croc

On 8/27/2022 at 3:25 PM, Leveraged said:

Any shop that sells glasses will make the lenses for you and provide the frame. Wont be free but you will get what you want.