Overhead Wiring Chaos

Patong2

Have seen and been amused by the chaos of overhead wiring around Phuket.

Multiple wires all in a tangled birds nest and I wonder how the poor technician could ever work out which wire to work on.

Love the sparking in wet weather and make sure I keep clear.

But what puzzles me is why unused wires are not removed?

Do they not have a copper content now?

If they do, how come they aren't stolen and melted down for scrap as happens in other countries

3 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Do they not have a copper content now?

Unlikely much copper.

Mostly fiberglass cable enforced with steel wire(s) and plastic coating.

Not sure how easy it is to make money from them.

3 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Good question. Too lazy, no responsible party, not paying off (it's mostly private companies)?

In parts of cities there have been some cleanup campaigns over the years.

And of course is by no way Phuket specific.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Patong2 said:

I have no answer.

But I have a story from long time ago from refineries.

It seems often they have unused pipes. But nobody if anybody needs a new pipe then they add a new pipe and don't use one of those unused pipes. Why? Because they are not 100% sure if those apparently unused pipes are really unused. And to avoid any problems they don't touch those pipes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same principle is not used with electrical wires.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Fibre is for Internet, ALUMINIUM is for power. copper is never used by the power companies and fibre is not for Power.

Nobody said the fibre was for power.  We're not talking about power lines here.  The tangles of cables on the power poles are for communications, not power--all low-voltage (or no voltage in the case of fibre): telephone, cable company, and internet.  The high-voltage power lines stay at the top of the poles, and are not usually a part of the tangles.

• Like 1

A lot of this mass of cable pre-dates fiber internet - it's been like this for a couple of decades. I believe a considerable amount is twisted pair copper, but as previously mentioned it's probably too difficult to determine which wires are in use and which aren't, so they're just left hanging there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have no answer.

But I have a story from long time ago from refineries.

It seems often they have unused pipes. But nobody if anybody needs a new pipe then they add a new pipe and don't use one of those unused pipes. Why? Because they are not 100% sure if those apparently unused pipes are really unused. And to avoid any problems they don't touch those pipes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same principle is not used with electrical wires.

Sounds like you've been on the pipe....

On 8/31/2022 at 4:24 PM, AsianAtHeart said:

It basically boils down to lack of organization or planning; and we might add technical expertise and/or equipment

There you have the hard kernel of many of the Kingdom's problems.

Cultural aversion to forethought in any activity or endeavor : you called it planning.

Like the road carnage, this will never change because there is zero will among the population to do so.

Thailand has doomed itself to third world status forever.