Corruption/ good income for police

ttt

:blues:

I've heard several times, that the in-Laws (esp. the brothers) like to spent the money of farrang-brother-in-law. With good Contacts to the Police they sometimes make a Corruption-deal. Already in Thai-jail, you wold pay each sum they require. Does anybody have experience or information about this topic ? Thailand is shurely one of the most corrupt countries in the world, so i balk abaout move to the home of my spouse.

The 2002 Transparency International Corruption Perceptions Index

According to the annual survey by the Berlin-based organization Transparency International, the world's least corrupt country is Finland and its most corrupt is Bangladesh.

The index defines corruption as the abuse of public office for private gain, and measures the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist among a country's public officials and politicians.

It is a composite index, drawing on 15 surveys from 9 independent institutions, which gathered the opinions of business people and country analysts.

Because of the absence of reliable data, only 102 of the world's countries are included in the survey.

The scores range from 10 (squeaky clean) to zero (highly corrupt).

A score of 5.5 is the number Transparency International considers the borderline figure distinguishing countries that do and do not have a serious corruption problem.

Country

rank  Country  2002

CPI Score

1.    Finland 9.7

2.    Denmark 9.5

New Zealand 9.5

4.    Iceland 9.4

5.    Singapore 9.3

Sweden 9.3

7.    Canada 9.0

Luxembourg 9.0

Netherlands 9.0

10.   United Kingdom 8.7

64.   Thailand 3.2 -

77.   Pakistan 2.6

Philippines 2.6

96.   Indonesia 1.9

101. Nigeria 1.6

102. Bangladesh1 1.2

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004372.html

:o

I was born in America and lived there for 19 years, stayed in Japan for 5 and have spent the last 11 years here in Thailand.

Personally, I prefer Thailand, though it has its ups and downs just like anywhere else. If I ever get sick of the downs, I can always move away.

I suggest you stay where you are if you're happy there. It all depends on what you want in life. It's just the way you perceive things. You may like it here, you may not. Have you visited Thailand at all, if not, maybe you should make a trial stay and see.

But, with such a negative outlook on things, I don't think you'd be happy anywhere...Or are you?

Why would you even think about moving here if you were happy where you are, right?

We're all searching for Paradise on Earth...and I think I'm here.

ttt,

Would I be correct in guessing that your wife wishes to live in Thailand and you are just thinking about it ?

The family will probably want to help you spend your money when you get here and it will be up to your wife to control the situation.  If you have serious doubts then stay where you are or come here for a trial period to find out what sort of a family you have married into.

I have never heard of the police being used to extract money as you have described it. Thai girls are quite able to do it on their own.

In my experience Thai family members with good police (or better) contacts are a boon. For example - I know this guy (yes OK, I'm distancing myself) who has a family member that is a driver in the Thai military for a high ranking officer. In the car that he uses for this he has a sticker in the window (as well as the usual green number plate) that signifies this - without actually stating it. It is very distinctive. The family member also has a sticker in his own car - a perk. Because of this sticker, he is waved through check points and police stops and can park in unauthorised areas. This 'guy' does not drive in LOS yet, but has been given a sticker for when he does!     :o

I totally agree with the Dr, why do people keep crying in the Tom Yam kung. If you are so unhappy with the life in Thailand, get out go back home and complain. We all know about the corruption, be it within the police or any public service jobs. the point is how far do they go, from customs officers through to highranking army ???

It seems to me they are all just trying to survive! maybe if they got better salaries this wouldnt happen so much.

Remember the old saying "I don't go looking for trouble- I know where it is!"

Well that about sums Thailand up for me, there are so many farangs here who just end up in a corruptive situation because of their greed in the first place.  Rather than just get on with life they are always looking to make a fast buck by any ways or means and they are the ones who cry about Thailand being unfair and corrupt.

Thousands of decent farangs live here in peace and harmony with the Country and it's laws.

Sev

:cool:

Thanks for the Corruption Index figures, Rinrada.

First, a comment on Singapore (at 9.3, very near to "squeaky clean") and UK (not so near at 8.7). I worked in Singapore from 1987 to 1993 and got the impression that one of Lee Kuan Yew's really good decisions, after the Brits left in 1963, had been to maintain the Civil Service + Police integrity that the Brits had established. And even to hone it to higher standards. Big business chooses to go where it can depend on the rules being adhered to. But I felt that in the UK itself this integrity had been slipping away a bit over the previous 30 years.

Nice to have some data to back up my feeling.

Second, a comment on Thailand's low score. My (Thai) wife often says, when she goes to England that, in her judgement, " it will take my country 50 years to catch up with England" on matters like this (and driving standards/road safety/public hygiene etc). I tell her that I think it will come in one generation, rather than two. Many things, such as Public Official integrity, took a long time to develop properly in Western societies; but developing nations (especially those that put in compulsory full-time education for all) catch up on the things that are good for them much quicker. Maybe Thaksin has recently started a "catch up quick" operation!.

As to living with the present situation in Thailand, I would welcome any suggestions. Two of my aquaintances tell me that they keep a visiting card that has been given to them in their wallets; and if they find themselves on the receiving end of hassle, thet say that they don't understand much Thai, but their friend can explain for them over the phone. Then they let it be seen that they are dialling a Police Colonel in one case, and the Abbot of a local major Wat in the other case.

They tell me that this works an instantaneous miracle!.

Any other tips, anyone?.

• 1 month later...
agree with that VISITING CARD argument. Got one for myself some time ago frm a former Thai olympic saiong champion and he told me: ".... anytime you might be in trouble just present that card and it will help you...". Fortunately, there has never been an incident for me to do so but I still keep that (valuable) card in my money pocket when traveling thru Thailand... :o