What are our options without license/waiver?

So, what exactly are our options for teaching without license/waiver?

Of course: language schools and universities.

But what about colleges, international schools, and satit schools?

I have heard mixed reports on those.

Any clarification? Experiences?

This is Thailand, depends on your connection and deal with any particular business that wants to hire you. Came across plenty teachers without papers but yet a job, while other teachers at the same school did have formal paperwork.

Just flirting with the obese girl at the administration office of any school, can get you a job.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

This is Thailand, depends on your connection and deal with any particular business that wants to hire you. Came across plenty teachers without papers but yet a job, while other teachers at the same school did have formal paperwork.

Well, I am talking about getting the work permit without a teaching license or waiver, not working illegally. I understand that is an option at some schools.

15 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Well, I am talking about getting the work permit without a teaching license or waiver, not working illegally. I understand that is an option at some schools.

If you haven't worked in Thailand before, it is not possible, as a foreigner, to get the Kurusapa license or registration before having worked as a teacher in a Thai school for one year--at least, that is what I was informed today when I called Kurusapa at their "Call Center โทร. 02-3049899."  Thais can register with Kurusapa via their National ID number, but foreigners, even if they have their Thai 13-digit ID number, are in a separate category--so I was told.

If, therefore, one is to work legally on a work permit, it must be possible to work without the Kurusapa license.  It is the school, once you are already working there, that will apply and process your Kurusapa application.

If you can read Thai, you may get more info at Kurusapa's website:  http://site.ksp.or.th/

Edited by AsianAtHeart
Corrected a typo

26 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Private schools or education centers could hire you to be the IT guy and still provide a work permit but doubt they will, as well as they pay you less as 'illegal teacher'. Why not actually try and obtain to get licensed in the first place.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If you haven't worked in Thailand before, it is not possible, as a foreigner, to get the Kurusapa license or registration before having worked as a teacher in a Thai school for one year--at least, that is what I was informed today when I called Kurusapa at their "Call Center โทร. 02-3049899."  Thais can register with Kurusapa via their National ID number, but foreigners, even if they have their Thai 13-digit ID number, are in a separate category--so I was told.

If, therefore, one is to work legally on a work permit, it must be possible to work without the Kurusapa license.  It is the school, once you are already working there, that will apply and process your Kurusapa application.

If you can read Thai, you may get more info at Kurusapa's website:  http://site.ksp.or.th/

You would get a temporary license (also known as a waiver) right away.

The "having to work at a school for one year" thing is just when you go to apply for the full license.

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Why not actually try and obtain to get licensed in the first place.

That's the idea, but they keep changing the rules and some of us are running out of time.

Now we have to take a test which is only available once or twice a year.

And before you can even apply to take the test you have to have a DipEd or higher and if it's from another country you have to get them to check it's validity which is taking a really long time these days, like some people have been waiting since last year.

It's pretty much a joke at this point and if you run out of waivers you need to find a new place to work.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:33 PM, 2009 said:

It's pretty much a joke at this point and if you run out of waivers you need to find a new place to work.

Yes, that's exactly the idea. The teachers that are fussing about, clueless, not interested in teaching but merely mcjob may get blindsided.

By all accounts three waivers are easily granted. That's 5-6 years. Maybe by the third year hopefully the teacher would be thinking they want make the job long term (note: I did not state permeant ???? ) and they'd quickly navigate themselves to proper information, a school and a license.

If you're end of third waiver and still lost I suggest you sort yourself out.

I suspect that anyone completed grad study, waiting for exam, failed... Just guessing but I bet you can get another waiver and maybe two simply due to chaos and confusion.

53 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Yes, that's exactly the idea. The teachers that are fussing about, clueless, not interested in teaching but merely mcjob may get blindsided.

By all accounts three waivers are easily granted. That's 5-6 years. Maybe by the third year hopefully the teacher would be thinking they want make the job long term (note: I did not state permeant ???? ) and they'd quickly navigate themselves to proper information, a school and a license.

If you're end of third waiver and still lost I suggest you sort yourself out.

I suspect that anyone completed grad study, waiting for exam, failed... Just guessing but I bet you can get another waiver and maybe two simply due to chaos and confusion.

Yeah, maybe so.

I am just wondering where we CAN teach without a waiver?

International schools?

Technical colleges?

Or is it just universities and language schools?

Used 4 waivers in 5 years

Current school is applying to get me a 5th waiver (I enrolled on a course). I already have my non-b and work permit but could still get rejected. Will find out soon - only want to do it 1 more year then I'm done with it unless they change their waiver system and <deleted> courses needed