Terminology & Sizing in Edibles

JayBird

I've seen shops describe the content of edibles as: 

x mg (i.e. 50 mg)

x g (i.e., 5 grams)

x ml (i.e. 5 ml).

Anyone know why they use difference units of measurement (ml vs mg).  Also, how can a gummy with 50 mg be described as 'strong' when someone is selling a brownie with 5g ?

Can you share your links/photos of these products? These would help address your question.

My thoughts...

Milligram - mg refers to nearly pure (~90 % of whatever they yield is on their extraction method) THC extract weight

g (gram) - refers to the equivalent biomass (flower) weight used

mL - refers to the volume of the oral tincture, with a typical dosage being the number of drops from the dropper onto the tongue

These are technically illegal, save for the GPO tinctures.

There is no standardization, and testing, as there may be in other more cannabis-normalized countries.

What are you looking for? What have you used elsewhwere?

20 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Also, how can a gummy with 50 mg be described as 'strong' when someone is selling a brownie with 5g ?

Need to see the advert to answer this question. You could also ask the supplier.

Once you look for these product on FB you'll see a lot on offer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Can you share your links/photos of these products? These would help address your question.

My thoughts...

Milligram - mg refers to nearly pure (~90 % of whatever they yield is on their extraction method) THC extract weight

g (gram) - refers to the equivalent biomass (flower) weight used

mL - refers to the volume of the oral tincture, with a typical dosage being the number of drops from the dropper onto the tongue

These are technically illegal, save for the GPO tinctures.

There is no standardization, and testing, as there may be in other more cannabis-normalized countries.

What are you looking for? What have you used elsewhwere?

Need to see the advert to answer this question. You could also ask the supplier.

Once you look for these product on FB you'll see a lot on offer.

All of this was in physical shops in Pattaya, I didn't take pictures as I'm not sure they would like that ????

What you are saying makes sense.  When they were saying '2 g', they were also pointing to the flowers and saying '1 g'.  So it is possible they meant flower weight.

Do you know how to convert 'g of flower' to 'mg of THC' ?

I read somewhere that 1ml of THC = 25mg of THC.

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Multiplication. So a one gram flower with 25% THC has (at a maximum) 0.25 grams of THC. Total cannabinoids would be fractionally higher.

So a 2g cookie, should have about 500mg of THC?  I'm thinking these shops are not accurate in their reports, as 500mg in one go should be noticed by the consumer ????

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

So a 2g cookie should have about 500mg of THC?

No, not unless it's a really big cookie.

You'll have to define "a 2 gram cookie". Is that a cookie which weighs two grams? Or a single cookie made with two grams of cannabis which was extracted as an additive/ingredient.

Flour, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and cannabis.

Again, this is why we need real references.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

No, not unless it's a really big cookie.

You'll have to define "a 2 gram cookie". Is that a cookie which weighs two grams? Or a single cookie made with two grams of cannabis which was extracted as an additive/ingredient.

Flour, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and cannabis.

Again, this is why we need real references.

Sadly, the best I could get out of the people was that it was '2 grams'.

the only thing that matters with edibles is mg per dose. 

almost all of the edibles being sold are guess work at best unless they have an extraction guy and a solid machine to do it. 

most don't.

they almost always make it out of butter or cooking oil. mixing in the cannabis and draining out the oil after cooking. no way to tell any sort of real measurements with this process. 

in some instances they mean weight of the edibles in grams. so a cookie may be 5 grams of dough. etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 2:41 PM, JayBird said:

So a 2g cookie, should have about 500mg of THC?  I'm thinking these shops are not accurate in their reports, as 500mg in one go should be noticed by the consumer ????

500 mg consumed at once would be enough to send anyone into orbit around Mars. Or into the earth's core.

Mg is a unit of mass, mL is a unit of volume.

1000 mg is approximately equivalent to 1 mL of a substance if said substance is close to the specific gravity of water.

The mL measurement would be used with something like CBD oil, the content would be measured as mg/mL. For a cookie, it might be a statement of total mg in the cookie, or mg of active CBD or THC per gram of cookie.

• Thanks 1

Buy an ounce of weed, and a pound of butter, and make your own. Its really easy and lots of good info out there.  

Forget percentages because everyone lies. ????  Growers send in a few choice buds to get tested, testing is expensive, they use that % on the whole crop. Of course it varies. Then the butter or extraction guys do their things and again the percentages become good guesses. 

Make your own and start testing it by listening to your body, you'll tune it in.   Some people get whacked on edibles others don't feel a thing. What you eat before the butter, with the butter and after the butter will change results also.  have at it ???? 

(some good info on this thread) 

• Thanks 1