Carport/carpark misuse

AustinRacing

Have you noticed Thais like to use the space for purposes other than parking their cars in. Consequently rows of cars parked on the street making a 3-point-turn hard also affecting visitors/short-time street parking. 

Is this another example of “me first” mentality? Does it irk you too?

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Cannot not say I have seen the issue, but then I don't live in a slum either.

Maybe time for you to move to better digs Austin.

Have you looked at locations in Bangkok where there is supposed to be parking available on the sides of the streets, but instead you have stands and food carts as well as mini Talads set up.  Happens so often that parking is at a premium and you end up walking a distance to go where you wanted. If only they had true parking garages where you paid like in the malls certain areas might have more visitors instead of clogged roads which have traffic because of folks stopping in the roadway to buy food from a vendor.  Drove over to the Rama 8 Bridge yesterday and on a few streets where there are Tire shops, they were actually changing the tires in the street blocking the roadways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thais don't see it that way, in our street they park every which way, against the traffic, pointing the wrong way on the wrong side, and even when a rare appearance of a loan policeman on a motorcycle, who of course just drive by oblivious to all this  mess don't make any different at all...

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

and even when a rare appearance of a loan policeman on a motorcycle, who of course just drive by oblivious to all this  mess don't make any different at all...

That's the real problem here in Thailand....no enforcement at all. We have to accept that this is their way of life.

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Have you looked at locations in Bangkok where there is supposed to be parking available on the sides of the streets, but instead you have stands and food carts as well as mini Talads set up.

Bangkok is a slum, I only go there once every two years for a few hours to renew my work permit and extension to stay.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

A slum, that is rich.  One of the most visited places in the world and an international hub, and you think of it as a slum.  Why come here at all if thats the way your feel. Hire an agent like others do to avoid the traffic and the great surroundings inside of the City like the parks, and great shopping that the outer areas lack.

My employer does use an agent but Unfortunately they require my physical presence at renewal time.

What to complain about today ...

... no parking as taken up by vendors, carts, street food

... city being gentrified, no street food available, losing it's charm

Flights leave Thailand every day, surely there is a seat available for you.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What to complain about today ...

... no parking as taken up by vendors, carts, street food

... city being gentrified, no street food available, losing it's charm

Flights leave Thailand every day, surely there is a seat available for you.

Erm...  so.. if there are facets of life in Thailand that bug us, it is projected that we don’t like it here...  

... go to where we came from if we don’t like it ? Don’t let the door hit us in the ar$e on the way out...  

I thought that as a 'forum community’ we’d recognised this type of response is fundamentally dim !

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Have you noticed Thais like to use the space for purposes other than parking their cars in. Consequently rows of cars parked on the street making a 3-point-turn hard also affecting visitors/short-time street parking. 

Is this another example of “me first” mentality? Does it irk you too?

Possibly...  Or its a facet of ‘always needing more space’... 

But yes, a lot houses use their car-port for something other than parking the car !

Its the same in the UK, in so many cases the Garage ends up being used as a ‘storage space’... or has an extra freezer, tumble drier, the golf clubs, a mini-gym, bikes etc etc... 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm...  so.. if there are facets of life in Thailand that bug us, it is projected that we don’t like it here...  

... go to where we came from if we don’t like it ? Don’t let the door hit us in the ar$e on the way out...  

I thought that as a 'forum community’ we’d recognised this type of response is fundamentally dim !

I just accept " I chose " to live in a 3rd world country, with many modern things.  Anything that I take issue with, " I change " to please me.

On vendor vs sidewalks/curbside, I quite like, same as the Thais, that you can now walk along the walkway on lower Suk, and most have been move off the walkways.  Not that I use often, but 1st time after they were removed, man, what a pleasant difference.

Also like, especially since I rarely drive at Krung Thep, that the vendors are allowed on the side sois, so no shortage of, if wishing to use.  Those that complain & can't find street food, don't look very hard.

Simply control your life, instead of complaining about others making you unhappy.

... I don't like living in congestion ... I live rural, but 5 mins from everything I need.

... I don't like the price of petrol ... bought an e-MB, EV/car on the way.

... I don't like the price of PEA electric ... I went solar

... I don't like buying bottle water, or using filtered tap ... I drink rain water

... I don't like renting ... built another house

... I don't like being dependent / controlled by others ... we're self sufficient now.

All expats volunteered to live here, accept or adapt or flights leave every day.  Not rocket science.

Expats complaining accomplishes nothing but stressing themselves.  Misery loves company, the forum thrives on it.

WhooSa

On Topic as always, already pointed out above, but like Thais, most westerner I know, use their garage for storage.  Unless living in sub freezing weather and you car battery would freeze or vehicle not start.

Which many places, and fellow employees I worked with told me about, how they had to plug their cars in, at home, or the market and or pub, if staying longer than 15 ish minutes.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I just accept " I chose " to live in a 3rd world country, with many modern things.  Anything that I take issue with, " I change " to please me.

On vendor vs sidewalks/curbside, I quite like, same as the Thais, that you can now walk along the walkway on lower Suk, and most have been move off the walkways.  Not that I use often, but 1st time after they were removed, man, what a pleasant difference.

Also like, especially since I rarely drive at Krung Thep, that the vendors are allowed on the side sois, so no shortage of, if wishing to use.  Those that complain & can't find street food, don't look very hard.

Simply control your life, instead of complaining about others making you unhappy.

... I don't like living in congestion ... I live rural, but 5 mins from everything I need.

... I don't like the price of petrol ... bought an e-MB, EV/car on the way.

... I don't like the price of PEA electric ... I went solar

... I don't like buying bottle water, or using filtered tap ... I drink rain water

... I don't like renting ... built another house

... I don't like being dependent / controlled by others ... we're self sufficient now.

All expats volunteered to live here, accept or adapt or flights leave every day.  Not rocket science.

Expats complaining accomplishes nothing but stressing themselves.  Misery loves company, the forum thrives on it.

WhooSa

You may have missed the point of a forum....  is designed for discussion and debate. 

We discuss things we like and don’t like....   

There are issues here that I don’t like - the approach to road safety is one thing I despise here.....  I don’t accept that, but I have to deal with it... and I will discuss it on this forum and with friends (Thai and Western).

Disliking facets of Thailand or finding something objectionable does not me we should be on the next flight home.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... repetitively

If things I didn't like occupied my brain cells that much, I'd left a long time ago.

How many times, on vehicle accident thread, as if we need to read about every single one in the news, do people feel the need to repeat 'Thais can drive properly'.  The same people repeating the same post.????

Though per capita, expats are worse, at least in the my helmet wearing observations.

Edited by KhunLA

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... repetitively

If things I didn't like occupied my brain cells that much, I'd left a long time ago.

How many times, on vehicle accident thread, as if we need to read about every single one in the news, do people feel the need to repeat 'Thais can drive properly'.  The same people repeating the same post.????

Though per capita, expats are worse, at least in the my helmet wearing observations.

Well... to mirror your attitude....  IF you don’t like the such threads, don’t read 'em !!! 

It's a discussion forum... you’re really missing that part. 

Each issue is individual - I find it fascinating how people interpret different things from various reports and incidents, photos and videos... I like those discussions.

I also find the opinions regarding how things can be improved interesting, as are discussion regarding the underlying reasons for such issues. 

----

I sometimes think that those posters such as yourself who have expressed a ‘if you don’t like it go home’ opinion think that those of us who have expressed a negative opinion on specific issues in Thailand live our lives in a permanent state of complaint.... You are of course wrong... 

Forums such as these are simply a discussion outlet - thats all.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well... to mirror your attitude....  IF you don’t like the such threads, don’t read 'em !!! 

It's a discussion forum... you’re really missing that part. 

I usually don't read them, unless a comment catches my eye, as only see the last one.  Most topic, I bypass.  Unless extremely bored, as in today & yesterday.   krap outside, and caught up inside.

All for discussion.  Repetitive complaining doesn't fit that description.

Have a good one ... 

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Are you incapable of compartmentalisation ???... if you have an issue it consumes you and occupies all your brain cells ???...   that’s somewhat of a concern.

I am perfectly able to have strong, firm and passionate opinions and leave them on the page... not to think about them until next time I open that page on that forum (compartmentalisation). 

It seems IF you had strong opinions about Thailand you’d have to leave a long time ago - Its quite sad that you can’t control your emotions more effectively. 

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I usually don't read them, unless a comment catches my eye, as only see the last one.  Most topic, I bypass.  Unless extremely bored, as in today & yesterday.   krap outside, and caught up inside.

All for discussion.  Repetitive complaining doesn't fit that description.

Have a good one ... 

Its just a discussion forum, *nothing more - never to be take seriously and its interesting to learn how others think....  The repetition evolves but I get your point, there is an ongoing thread about the Yellow Tabien Baan... same arguments getting re-hashed - thats just the way it is....  

*Thats not quite true - the forum is also a valuable source of information for many and has helped me  numerous times in the past.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

and even when a rare appearance of a loan policeman on a motorcycle, who of course just drive by oblivious to all this  mess don't make any different at all...

Are those policemen not there to prevent money being lent at extortionate rates. It's a traffic cop you need. 555