What advantage is an Immigration appointment?

JimGant

My recent retirement extension, in Aug, at CM Immigration had an appointment, which I made online (very easy, efficient). After having all my paperwork screened in the tent area, I was told to head for the counter. No one had asked if I had an appointment, so I added myself to the queue (not very long), then quickly went to an open counter. Handed in my paperwork and told the Imm officer that, "I had an appointment." Oh, he said. Didn't ask what time it was for (I was about 20 minutes ahead of schedule) and didn't seem to act as if it made any difference. Anyway, he said go sit down by counter (the one furthest left) and wait for your name to be called. I asked about a queue number, and he said, "no, just wait for your name to be called."

Anyway, after name called for photo, 20 minutes later was called to collect passport. Most of us sitting there were called, so not even sure if the queue number system was applicable at this counter.....maybe it was being used, but I was not really paying attention. And were those being called, the ones with appointments (and thus some kind of ahead of queue priority)?

Question: Is getting an appointment worth anything? If I'm on time, do I get to jump ahead of the walk-ins? Am I then a "wait to be called" vs. someone with a queue number? Or if I'm late (or early), am I just another walk-in?

If the appointment has no benefit, why subject yourself to the lack of flexibility of when to show up at Immigration. Thus, hopefully somebody reading this has a better understanding of the appointment system than I do, or can find with a search. Thanx.

If its busy the appointment should help you and if its free why not? I did a marriage extension earlier in the month. Arrived just after 13:00 no appointment, got the forms checked outside. Checked again at the counter inside and then straight to the proper immigration officer who needed a few signatures. Told to sit down and we were all done within 30 mins ish. Compared to a few years ago when you had to at arrive at 05:30 with no idea if you would be lucky and get a number, immigration is working like a dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple questions:

(1) Does one need to go through the outside inspection-of-documents line if one has an appointment?

(2) It seems the appointment system only allows appointments for the next 30 days (or slightly less).  Is that correct?

When we renewed our 1-yr visas two months ago, we made an appointment.

We showed up 20-30 minutes before time, had our papers checked in the tent, then went inside and stood on line behind 2-3 people at the counter who did NOT have appointments. They were given queue numbers and told to sit. They did NOT leave their paperwork at the counter. We did. We gave in out paperwork and were told to sit... no queue number given.

About 15 minutes later our names were called for photos.

Ten minutes after that, our names were called again and we were given our passports.

The walk-ins who were ahead of us on line at the counter had still not handed in documents or talked with an Imm officer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The walk-ins who were ahead of us on line at the counter had still not handed in documents or talked with an Imm officer.

Thanks. I had not noticed that some folks (apparently the walk-ins) were being treated differently. And, yes, they took my paperwork, told me to sit, and when I asked about a queue number, they told me 'no need.' So, I guess there is an advantage to having an appointment, as one would hope.

Very few empty seats (1:30), but I was out of there in about 40 minutes. No re-entry stamp.

22 hours ago, CMBob said:

(1) Does one need to go through the outside inspection-of-documents line if one has an appointment?

I made an online appointment for my most recent extension.  When I arrived at Immigration, I did not go to "the tent" and therefore had no document inspection.  I went straight to the first "check-in" desk inside; documents were looked over and taken from me and fee paid; then told to wait at the far left side of the waiting area.  After only a short wait, process completed.

Two points:

1) I had visited the "tent" a week or so before appointent day, to confirm just what was wanted and the order in which they wanted the various papers.  This facilitated handing it in at the desk.

2) I was quite early for the appointment.  That did not seem to matter at all.  No notice was given to the exactness of the schedule.  My papers were taken and I was entered into the order as if that particular time was my appointment time.  So, I gather that having an appointment paper allows you to access and enter the line-up upon your arrival, regardless of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do all my Immigration via Assist Thai Visa.

I have been with them since they first opened and have zero complaints.

My 12 type O visa took less than 5 mins from entering to me and one other guy who had come down with me in their transport leaving.

john

• Like 1

No point at all, went this morning,

30 mins to get through the document check, 1hr to get the 'under consideration stamp.

Was loads of people but it all moved through quickly, plenty of staff.

In at 9am, family extension (1k9bht), 90 day report and Certificate of residence (50bht postage) all done before 11am.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, jonwilly said:

I do all my Immigration via Assist Thai Visa.

I have been with them since they first opened and have zero complaints.

My 12 type O visa took less than 5 mins from entering to me and one other guy who had come down with me in their transport leaving.

john

Agreed - good investment if you are busy and not retired...

Er not busy and very retired.

Thai immigration used to be very bad.

Folk queuing up at 04.00 it was bad.

Then Thai Visa came along and in return for payment they did ALL the heavy lifting.

Not the richest Frang but I am well satisfied paying someone else to take the strain.

John 

• Love It 1

• 1 month later...

I use the online appointment last week . I printed out the slip and had it attached to my paperwork. I showed up went to a special window to the right they took my documents , told me have a seat . Within about 30 minutes we were called up stamped and out the door. Most times in the past its been a three hour ordeal . The big thing is make sure everything is correct and you ve signed everything in blue ink ....  Fastest I ve ever got done . I can remember the times I would go there at midnight put a chair in line go sleep in the car ....

• Like 1

"BB1955", you were very fortunate.  I had an appointment today and the place was very busy.  My documents were checked at the indoor Information counter, noticed the IO affixed a queue slip of "O33" to the packet, and was directed to have a seat close to Window #8.

Queue numbers were being announced...O34, O35, etc. up to O40 and beyond.  Now the waiting became questionable...people whose queue numbers were after mine's were having their photo and eventually received their stamped passports returned.  What happen to mine's?

Just speculating...my passport has numerous stamps from previous extensions and also, my passport will expire in 2023 before the annual date of allowable extension.  Was I being scrutinized for any discrepancies?

Timeline:  Arrived at immigration at 0930, appointment time was 1015, was seated at 0945 after docs acceptance.

Stamped passport was not returned until close to 1100 hours.

My mistake was not questioning why it took sooo long.  Did the signatory IO not approve/stamp my extension until the appointment time?  

The only good thing about the online appointment is you bypass the "tent" docs check and just go directly to the Information counter.