Translation Agency

Can anyone recommend a certified translation agency for English to Thai? Somewhere with a reliable 48-hour turnaround. I'll be heading to the British embassy in Sathon, so ideally it'd be somewhere near there or accessible via the BTS/MRT. 

I'm looking to get a certified copy of my passport translated, as well as the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry certificate. (I realise this could have been posted in The marriage forum, but my main question is more general.)

Cost isn't the most important thing, but I don't want to be ripped off. So far, I've seen costs of 450-800 per page for the translation. But the agency offering 450 THB has terrible English on their website. So...!

Many thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Certified by who?

The Thai government doesn't certify translators, you could just have your spouse translate it.

So it seems. But since the British Embassy states the translation must be certified and agencies offering this service indicate they add a stamp to that effect, I assumed there was some professional accreditation for translators. But it seems not.

Normally the company who does the translations stamps and certifies the translation as true and correct.  Then it can be taken to the MFA where it will be verified and then stamped as a true copy of the original document with a corner folded over, stamped and sealed and then a notarized seal placed on the rear of the document.  Many translators around the embassies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ettcuk said:

So it seems. But since the British Embassy states the translation must be certified and agencies offering this service indicate they add a stamp to that effect, I assumed there was some professional accreditation for translators. But it seems not.

There is no accreditation.

If you want a stamp you could just buy a "certified true copy" stamp, that's as good as the stamp from any agency.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Normally the company who does the translations stamps and certifies the translation as true and correct.  Then it can be taken to the MFA where it will be verified and then stamped as a true copy of the original document with a corner folded over, stamped and sealed and then a notarized seal placed on the rear of the document.  Many translators around the embassies.

Yes, thanks @ThailandRyan. I'm not sure why I'd read "certified" so literally - I've certified things myself in the past. But, with all the bureaucracy I'm wading through for various different things, it can sometimes get a little confusing ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Did this just a couple months ago.

There is a translation agency in the teak house across the street from the MFA at Chang Wattana, charging 300 baht/page.  SongThai Translation.

You can email them a scan of your documents for pickup the next morning, convenient if you've made an appointment at the MFA for getting your notarized documents legalized.

https://qlegal.consular.go.th/

They're on facebook.

https://web.facebook.com/Songthaitranslation?_rdc=1&_rdr

Your four pages will cost you 200 baht/page for legalization at the MFS.  I believe they have EMS return service if you don't want to make another trip to pick up your documents 3 days later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

There is a translation agency in the teak house across the street from the MFA at Chang Wattana, charging 300 baht/page.  SongThai Translation.

You can email them a scan of your documents for pickup the next morning, convenient if you've made an appointment at the MFA for getting your notarized documents legalized.

They're on facebook.

Your four pages will cost you 200 baht/page for legalization at the MFS.  I believe they have EMS return service if you don't want to make another trip to pick up your documents 3 days later.

I take it the old express services are no longer available at the MFA?

18 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

They're on facebook.

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan to head to CW, but that's good to know for future reference.

I've found an agency that's just west of Lumpini that will do both translations within 24 hours for 1400 (total). I'd then planned to head to the MFA office at Khlong Toei MRT.

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I take it the old express services are no longer available at the MFA?

The Express Service is still given as an option. But there are no appointments available for the next 3 weeks, which is far as the calendar goes. I don't know if they're released each morning for 21 days ahead.

I also didn't know it was necessary to book an appointment. I'm now considering just heading to the MFA office in Chiang Mai, where I'm based.

Edited by ettcuk
Typos + misread something

@NoDisplayName "Your four pages will cost you 200 baht/page for legalization at the MFS.  I believe they have EMS return service if you don't want to make another trip to pick up your documents 3 days later."

All good to know, thanks. And I take it both the original documents and the translations need to be legalised - hence the 4 pages? I think I read that somewhere.

Edited by ettcuk
Misunderstanding

4 minutes ago, ettcuk said:

Ignore that. I take it both the original documents and the translations need to be legalised?

Yes, at least that was my experience, as they needed to see the originals to compare them with the translations, and I had two more copies of each done so I had extras if needed for something else.  The MFA took the original document, and stapled the translation onto it and then folded the upper left corner over where they then stapled it, and sealed it. They then placed a stamp and seal on the rear of the final page with the MFA authorities signature upon it.  I do not remember the total price, but I did pay for the expedited service where I was taken into a side room and met a supervisor who reviewed it all and after paying a sum to that individual was told to sit out side in the seats.  About an hour later I was called by my que number I had been given and my documents handed back after paying the fee they charged as well...... This was for my Daughters Thai Birth certificate translation into English, since we were moving to the US and I needed it for registering her for school.  

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, at least that was my experience, as they needed to see the originals to compare them with the translations, and I had two more copies of each done so I had extras if needed for something else. 

I'm not sure whether the same is necessary for pre-marital process. But I have just read that elsewhere re. birth certificates. Once we've got out marriage certificate(s), I'll get it translated and legalised. Although, as of recently, I believe government departments/offices are apparently now also issuing legalised documents in English on request. So, that'd remove the translation step and be preferable. It may be hit and miss though.

Edited by ettcuk
  • Thanks 1

I had some great fun finding a translation agency for precisely this problem. If you want a certified translation you are pushing it demanding a 48 hour turnaround I think. If you don't mind waiting (you can haggle) try International Translations at Sala Daeng. You have to go through a restaurant and up the stairs at the back so look up for the sign as you walk along the street to locate the right restaurant. They are very professional.

Sign.JPG

Translations.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ianh68 said:

I had some great fun finding a translation agency for precisely this problem. If you want a certified translation you are pushing it demanding a 48 hour turnaround I think. If you don't mind waiting (you can haggle) try International Translations at Sala Daeng. You have to go through a restaurant and up the stairs at the back so look up for the sign as you walk along the street to locate the right restaurant. They are very professional.

Sign.JPG

Translations.JPG

Restaurant, I thought you went through the 7-11 and up the back stairs, at least I did two years ago when I had to have my Divorce agreement from the US translated so the Ampur would accept it and divorce my ex-wife and I here as well. They were pricey but then it was worth it.  I also had my new passport translated for my Condos Yellow book.

Edited by ThailandRyan

22 hours ago, ettcuk said:

I also didn't know it was necessary to book an appointment. I'm now considering just heading to the MFA office in Chiang Mai, where I'm based.

Consider either booking an appointment at Khlong Toie, and arrange with a translation agency for quick turnaround.  These are simple documents that they should already have templates for.

Or take your notarized documents back to Chiang Mai and do the translation and legalization there.

You don't want the MFA in Chiang Mai reject one of your documents due to a transliteration error, requiring a revised translation from your agency in Bangkok.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:02 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Restaurant, I thought you went through the 7-11 and up the back stairs, at least I did two years ago when I had to have my Divorce agreement from the US translated so the Ampur would accept it and divorce my ex-wife and I here as well. They were pricey but then it was worth it.  I also had my new passport translated for my Condos Yellow book.

It's a restaurant now. More of a snack bar really. There is another set of stairs visible on the left as you go in. They are not the ones. The ones you want are past the toilets out back. I could write a book on my initial attempts to find the place ????

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, NoDisplayName said:

You don't want the MFA in Chiang Mai reject one of your documents due to a transliteration error, requiring a revised translation from your agency in Bangkok.

Absolutely. I've found a good agency in CM, near the temporary immigration centre here. I may just pay the agency to do the translation and legalisation for me - to save the hassle and toing and froing. They'd charge 750 THB for the translation and 3000 THB total for everything, including the legalisation. And I really loath sitting in immigration centres or district offices. I've done it too many times.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:46 PM, ianh68 said:

If you don't mind waiting (you can haggle) try International Translations at Sala Daeng.

Many thanks, @ianh68 and @ThailandRyan - particularly for the directions! Coincidently, after doing some googling and sending a few enquiry emails, that's the agency I'd already chosen. Should I decide to do this in Bangkok, that is. They charge 700 THB for the Affirmation and 600 THB for the passport. And I was told it'd be a 24-hour turnaround after payment.

• Thanks 1

You download the appropriate 'affidavit' from the British Embassy (single, divorced, widowed), then type yourself filling in the blanks.
There is a translation office in the same building as the Legalization Dept of the MFA, who must legalize the documents.

First and foremost, you should check the requirements at your local Amphoe office where you intend to register your marriage. Most Amphoe's will at minimum require an Embassy certified copy of your Passport information page, as well as an 'affidavit' of no impediment to marry, certified by your Embassy. These documents must be translated into Thai, then both the original and translations legalised by the Legalisation division of the Consular department of Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Typical documents required by an Amphoe.

1. Passport.

2. Intended spouses Tabien Baan and ID card.

3. Embassy certified 'affidavit'', Embassy certified Passport copy and Thai translations, legalised by the Legalisation division of the Consular department of the MFA.

4. The marital status of your intended spouse can be checked on their online database for any previous record of marriage, or divorce. If your intended was previously 'widowed', I would recommend she takes her ex husbands Death certificate as proof of her marital status.

Next you must swear an 'affidavit' of no legal impediment to marry at your designated Embassy in Thailand. Each Embassy will have it's own procedure, but you will have to provide evidence of your current marital status, either 'single', 'widowed' or 'divorced'.

Certain Embassies may have 'templates' for such that they request you download, print and complete the fields with the requested information.

Do not sign – the 'affidavit. It must be signed in the presence of an Embassy official qualified to take such statements and witness. You will have to make an appointment at your Embassy to complete the procedure.

Your Embassy may request additional documents to verify information stated in the 'affidavit'.

I suggest you take the following documents to avoid any disappointment.

1. Passport

2. Completed 'affidavit' (unsigned).

3. Any 'final divorce decree' or 'death certificate' of ex spouse.

4. Intended spouse Tabien Baan and ID card.

The Consular building of Thailand's MFA in Bangkok also has a translation office on the floor above from their legalisation office. You can arrange for translations and the legalisation of the documents to be returned to your home address by EMS, rather than wait around in Bangkok.

Takes approximately 5 working days for return by EMS.

Bangkok

Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Bangkok 10210

Call Center: Tel: +66 (0) 2572 8442 (Thai language only) OR +66 (0) 2 575 1058, +66 (0) 2 575 1059 (from 8.30 –14.30)

E-mail: [email protected]

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

The Consular building of Thailand's MFA in Bangkok also has a translation office on the floor above from their legalisation office. You can arrange for translations and the legalisation of the documents to be returned to your home address by EMS, rather than wait around in Bangkok.

Takes approximately 5 working days for return by EMS.

MFA at CW has been undergoing renovations, the 2nd floor translator booths in the building have been removed.  The lady at the 'information' desk on the second floor told us no translators in the building.

There were a few touts hanging around the second floor near the top of the escalator offering translation services, if you trust random folks with poor English.

8 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

MFA at CW has been undergoing renovations, the 2nd floor translator booths in the building have been removed.  The lady at the 'information' desk on the second floor told us no translators in the building.

Thanks for that update.

8 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

There were a few touts hanging around the second floor near the top of the escalator offering translation services, if you trust random folks with poor English.

Not recommended! 

Despite warning a friend last year, he gave his documents and Passport to a tout outside the MFA.
To cut a long story short, only after the involvement of the Police and parting with 26K did he get his documents returned after 6 weeks-not legalized.
He came VE for 30 days to get married, ended up having to apply for a 30-day extension and the additional cost of hotel and changing his return flight date.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, ThailandRyan said:

The MFA took the original document, and stapled the translation onto it and then folded the upper left corner over where they then stapled it, and sealed it

How would they do this if i have my foreign passport translated into Thai?  (Amphoe requests this to get yellow house book)