Chaiyaphum Hit by Worst Flood in 50 Years

snoop1130

1664782555_879229-tnamcot.jpg

CHAIYAPHUM, Oct 3 (TNA) – The northeastern province of Chaiyaphum has been hit by the worst flood in 50 years and four out of 16 district was declared as disaster zones.

Forest run-off from Phulanka mountain range has flooded four districts including Muang district, the heart of the province for three consecutive days. The city hall and business areas in all 25 communities have been inundated and the water level keeps rising.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1030294

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-10-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Does seem the wettest/heaviest/most severe rainy season in the last seven years (my time in LOS), but I'm in a different city about every year.  

a little lazy to find data......tried for a few minutes...

October just started and is usually the 2nd wettest month.   6-7 years ago, October was pretty dry.   I have a feeling that won't be the case this year.

No worries, I'm not in a flood zone.  Why would I do that to myself????!?!?!?!?!?!?   

17 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

Does seem the wettest/heaviest/most severe rainy season in the last seven years (my time in LOS), but I'm in a different city about every year.  

October just started and is usually the 2nd wettest month.   6-7 years ago, October was pretty dry.   I have a feeling that won't be the case this year.

No worries, I'm not in a flood zone.  Why would I do that to myself????!?!?!?!?!?!?   

La Nina

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Or Yingluck as in 2011.

Silly me. I would have thought that after 8 years of this government, that they would have put Prayuth into a throne and he would have commanded the flood waters to cease, and they would.

It's going to be interesting.

Bangkok is at least 20 cm lower than it was in 2011 and there are reports that the volume of water is as much or more than in 2011.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

It's going to be interesting.

Bangkok is at least 20 cm lower than it was in 2011 and there are reports that the volume of water is as much or more than in 2011.

Time to move the capital to Nakhon Nayok or Nakhon Ratchamisa

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I remember a prophet (was it Mr P.?) some months(!) ago that there will be no 2011 again.
In 2011 they narrowly saved Suvarnabhumi from flooding with all powers available (while Don Mueang was a lake already).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I remember a prophet (was it Mr P.?) some months(!) ago that there will be no 2011 again.
In 2011 they narrowly saved Suvarnabhumi from flooding with all powers available (while Don Mueang was a lake already).

Yes,

Just as few weeks ago.

It's still heavy rain in the tributaries. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

Time to move the capital to Nakhon Nayok or Nakhon Ratchamisa

I flew into Khon Kaen a few years back and the pilot was talking about this and was saying Khon Kaen was being looked at due to large expanse of flat land.

1 hour ago, BoganInParasite said:

Think most of the water there will flow down the Chi to the Mekong.

Many rivers flow into the Mekong.

But Chao Phraya, fed by many tributaries flows through Bangkok and into the Gulf of Thailand.

We'll see what happens.

Screenshot_20221004_080540.jpg.30d0fb567cf7b45cdac630dae520f4e0.jpg

14 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

If the storm were a 50-year storm (s), over a ten year period (n) there would be a 18% chance it will occur over a 10-year period.

P10=1-(1-1/s)n or 1-(1-1/50)10

Regardless, it has been my experience that flood control projects should plant for 100-year storms.

However, prevention for a 100 year storm flooding can be an excessive expense (ie., high flood walls) when compared to the cost of damage. That's where ingenuity (!!) must be used, ie., water diversion tunnels, nature based solutions, reducing impervious surfaces (Concrete/Asphalt!!).

See "Public weighs in on a new plan to control flooding in the Ala Wai watershed." Jul. 29, 2022

https://haiwaiinewsnow.com/2022/07/29/

A low cost government flood insurance program for land/renters might supplement the cost of damage after a flood in lieu of some expensive flood control practices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

Or Yingluck as in 2011.

Silly me. I would have thought that after 8 years of this government, that they would have put Prayuth into a throne and he would have commanded the flood waters to cease, and they would.

He has as much chance of halting water as he does with corruption.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Many rivers flow into the Mekong.

But Chao Phraya, fed by many tributaries flows through Bangkok and into the Gulf of Thailand.

We'll see what happens.

Screenshot_20221004_080540.jpg.30d0fb567cf7b45cdac630dae520f4e0.jpg

The topic of the article was water in Chaiyaphum. None of that flows towards Bangkok.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

The topic of the article was water in Chaiyaphum. None of that flows towards Bangkok.

Your right.

Thanks for the geography lesson.  

Looks like a beautiful province upon further research. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

Your right.

Thanks for the geography lesson.  

Looks like a beautiful province upon further research. 

Can recomend a trip in Chaiyaphum right after the worst rain season is over. 

7437365C-D15A-433C-A64C-95D747C65FC0.jpeg

037379D3-A9F0-4C84-BBE3-5FAE57CB439B.jpeg

• Like 1