Can your US bank send an OTP to your Thai number?

brizz

Hey gang.

Do you have an account with a US bank that can send a One Time Password (OTP) to your Thai phone number?

I bank with Chase Bank in the US. Sometimes I log in and get that dreaded "We don't recognize you on this device." So I have to request an OTP to my phone, but it only goes to a US number, which I have set up with a friend. So I have to send it to my friend's phone and wait for him to text me the digits. I've tried changing this, but evidently, Chase doesn't send these messages to international numbers.

So...if you have a US bank that can send this OTP directly to your Thai phone number, I would like to hear about it. I don't want to be reliant on others for something so important, and I will switch banks next chance I get.

If you can comment with the name of your bank and whether you can or can't, I will update this post to make it useful for future readers.

Thanks in advance.

I opened a Chase account a few years ago while in the US and used my Thai address and phone number. Instead of an SMS OTP, the few times I've been asked to verify a purchase with my debit card, it was done via a message in the Chase app on my phone. 

I have also logged in using my computer and have also gotten the "we don't recognize this device" message. It has been a while since I've received this message and I don't recall if it was resolved by responding to a message in the Chase app or whether Chase sent me an SMS, but Chase had no problems in my case with my Thai address and phone number.

Edit: I just forced the "we don't recognize this device" my using a different browser. Chase sent me a message via the Chase app on my phone to verify. There was also an alternate method offered, but I did not go that route. Not sure if the alternate is SMS, email or something else.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
Additional Information
  • Like 1

I have an account with Citibank New York. For a long time, they wouldn't send OTP's but recently that's changed though it's still hit or miss. Sometimes they'll send it and sometimes I have to call for a code. I can't seem to get a coherent explanation for the reason.

They also told me that I couldn't get a debit card if I lived outside of the country but only an ATM card. But that changed when I got my last card.  The problem with these banks is one department doesn't know what the others are doing.

Oh, I also have what is called a global executive account.

I never thought about using the app, but that's an interesting idea. I will try the Chase mobile app to see if that makes a difference. 

Edit: I managed to install the app, then transfer money using a combination of the app and the Wise website, so let's see how this works....if this saves me from those dreaded "We don't recognize you on this device" messages, it would be awesome. Thanks again for mentioning it. This may have just saved me lots of headaches.

Edited by brizz

19 hours ago, brizz said:

I never thought about using the app, but that's an interesting idea. I will try the Chase mobile app to see if that makes a difference. 

Edit: I managed to install the app, then transfer money using a combination of the app and the Wise website, so let's see how this works....if this saves me from those dreaded "We don't recognize you on this device" messages, it would be awesome. Thanks again for mentioning it. This may have just saved me lots of headaches.

If you use your computer to log on to the Chase website and you get the "this device is not recognized", you should then be prompted to select how you wish to verify your identity. If you choose to have the verification done via your phone,  Chase will send a message via the Chase app. You then simply select the "yes, it's me" option in the open app and then the browser on your computer will proceed to log you in automatically. That's how it works for me in any case.

You can of course use the app to transfer funds domestically as you mentioned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, andy said:

Get a VoIP US phone number.  TextNow is a possible solution.

Agree! 'VYKE' is another solution. $16 USD per annum to rent a virtual mobile number. Receive voice calls and SMS free. Outgoing at very reasonable rates. International roaming becomes a thing of the past as does changing your number if/when you switch mobile service providers.

If you are using a web browser to access Chase, then yes, you can use the mobile app for 2FA.

Works fine here. Use it often, although I also use Google Voice, and UltraMobile for 2FA SMSes successfully with Chase here.

I don't think the mobile app needs to be "open"? I just get a notification from Chase app, pull that down, then press Yes.

Maybe simplest to jsut use the mobile app?

Chase.com web browser message:

We don't recognize this device
It looks like you're using a new device, or you changed its settings. Before you sign in, we need to confirm it's you.

How should we get in touch?

Send a notification to my phone
 Open information dialog

Contact me in a different way

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:33 PM, bamnutsak said:

If you are using a web browser to access Chase, then yes, you can use the mobile app for 2FA.

Works fine here. Use it often, although I also use Google Voice, and UltraMobile for 2FA SMSes successfully with Chase here.

I don't think the mobile app needs to be "open"? I just get a notification from Chase app, pull that down, then press Yes.

Maybe simplest to jsut use the mobile app?

Chase.com web browser message:

We don't recognize this device
It looks like you're using a new device, or you changed its settings. Before you sign in, we need to confirm it's you.

How should we get in touch?

Send a notification to my phone
 Open information dialog

Contact me in a different way

For Chase 2FA, I use

- Email

- Google voice phone number

- Magic Jack phone number

- Chase mobile app

For Wells Fargo, all of the above, plus a RSA hardware device that rotates OTP codes every 60 seconds. The cost for this keychain device is $25 USD and is the ultimate 2FA device as it is issued by Wells Fargo.  Wells Fargo claims they will not send 2FA codes to international IP addresses but I have not found that to be the case as of yet. If and when that actually happens, I am prepared. 

My only worry with this keychain hardware device is what will happen when the battery dies.  Can I install a new battery and still be in sync with the OTP server?  This is something I’d like an answer to but finding a knowledgeable tech at WF is not easy.