Thailand mourns mass shooting victims

webfact

image.jpeg

by Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The feelings of shock and grief remain with people across the country in the aftermath of a mass shooting in Nong Bua Lamphu. Several agencies have joined hands to offer assistance to the families of the victims and those impacted.

The Supreme Patriarch of Thailand has extended his condolences to the families of the victims of a mass shooting event at a daycare center in Nong Bua Lamphu, according to an announcement made by His Holiness’s secretary office.

The office says it will provide religious supplies and financial aid to help with the victims’ funeral, which shall receive special facilitation from local temples, as well as financial aid for those injured.

The Supreme Patriarch has instructed all Buddhist temples in Thailand to host a special prayer for the victims this evening.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered government offices to fly the national flag at half mast today. A moment of silence was observed.

The Prime Minister asked all relevant agencies to offer full assistance to the victims’ families and put the topic of gun ownership on the table. On this topic, the Ministry of Interior elaborated that the issuance of gun licenses had always been carefully reviewed.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221007204919881

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-10-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

7 minutes ago, harada said:

It’s sad that some had to turn a very tragic event into a photo op by handing out giant sized cheques. ????

I don't mind it, since it keeps this tragic event in the spotlight; HOWEVER, it's too soon for this.   I would have expected this next month, not a few days after.  

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, harada said:

It’s sad that some had to turn a very tragic event into a photo op by handing out giant sized cheques. ????

You forgot to add 'in public'. Nothing wrong with giving, but in Thailand they always have to make a big show of it for 'face' reasons. Even those who donate 100 baht to the local temple have to have their name broadcast on the village news loudspeaker system. Juvenile and pathetic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You forgot to add 'in public'. Nothing wrong with giving, but in Thailand they always have to make a big show of it for 'face' reasons. Even those who donate 100 baht to the local temple have to have their name broadcast on the village news loudspeaker system. Juvenile and pathetic.

Exactly, it was something I noticed here when I tried a bit of charitable donation.... one not only has to give, but very much must be seen to do so. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, harada said:

It's what the people like. Sorry you find it sad, you'll get used to it hopefully.. 

On 10/8/2022 at 6:16 AM, Iamfalang said:

I don't mind it, since it keeps this tragic event in the spotlight; HOWEVER, it's too soon for this.   I would have expected this next month, not a few days after.  

I don't mind too. However, many of these people are very poor and it helps knowing you can afford a proper funeral, without having to borrow money. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Exactly, it was something I noticed here when I tried a bit of charitable donation.... one not only has to give, but very much must be seen to do so. 

One thing I don't like is when the insurance company attends the funeral with an over-sized cheque. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ozz1 said:

After seeing anitun at our hospital I think he did a great job no grandstanding very humble no big cheques just nice words to the people

That was nice to hear. I hope all the bereaved people get all the help possible. So sorry for them and their losses.

Edited by possum1931