Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Custom golf clubs

Mrfox

On 10/9/2022 at 11:18 AM, Mrfox said:

Fitted 

Personally when I wanted to get new fitted clubs I went back to the UK to have them done. Generally golf equipment here is much more expensive than UK/US/Europe/Oz and availability of qualified fitters probably less.

I believe the guy who runs the Golf Hub in Pattaya (2nd Floor Soi Buakhow food market) may do fittings. He has the necessary measuring kit.

I think there was even an article on here about him with a video of his store some months ago. However I have no view on his competence either way.

• 1 month later...

What is your handicap? Fitting IMO is a waste of time and money for anyone greater than a 4 handicap. Regular length and lie clubs are all that is needed.

What is your swing speed? That should dictate the shaft flex you buy. Steel or graphite in the irons, I don't see any woods or hybrids with steel shafts nowadays. Bear in mind swing speed slows as you get older.

Unless you are really young and strong, stick with cavity back irons. More forgiving, blades are for professionals.

A fitted set of irons here IMO would be anywhere from 15K baht to 30K baht, individual woods and hybrids 10K to 15K baht.

Grip and grip thickness are important, personally I prefer the Lamkin brand.

I don't know what brand you favor; however, you should be aware Callaway and Ping are the most commonly counterfeited brands.

I can't comment on the competence of Thai fitting professionals, I've never used one myself. Having said that, it is likely you will be told what the pro thinks you want to hear.

I went to Thaniya Plaza golf mall off Silom in Bangkok. Doug Hood of Doug Hood Golf School accompanied me. All clubs fitted with matching grips etc. non of them "branded" except the Hello Kitty putter. Driver has shaft appropriate to my level. Duffer. I think that means more flexible.

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What is your handicap? Fitting IMO is a waste of time and money for anyone greater than a 4 handicap. Regular length and lie clubs are all that is needed.

Would agree wholeheartedly.......I've tried many different clubs over 50 years......none of them ever worked properly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Fitting IMO is a waste of time and money for anyone greater than a 4 handicap. Regular length and lie clubs are all that is needed.

Made me feel happier.????

Stopped me thinking, Is it me or is it the clubs????

Edited by VocalNeal

• 5 months later...

Got fitted in Thailand, but it came free with buying the a new set.

Problem is, I don't think they did a good job of it, I guess it being free should have tipped me off.

Agree with others, if you have a handicap like me around 10-15, then it's probably pointless, golf lessons will probably be more useful.

Having said that, my golf coach did tell me I needed to get my clubs fitted (after they should have been already!) since he thought my grip was too thick for my size hands, and that the clubs were 1 inch too long for me.  He does think it will make a difference now as my handicap is starting to come down, and my basics are a bit more covered.