Marriage certificate authentication Thailand or is Thai embassy uk possible?

A little background:

This year, after the covid break, Mrs Magpie and myself, thought it might be a good idea to open an SCB bank account in my name.

She has one at a local branch in Ladkrabang and I also now need one to deposit 400K baht as part of the 90 day visa extension system - my first attempt at doing this.  I can't plead poverty because the UK embassy have seen my bank balance and despite the international nature of banking today, and easy transfer (at a cost)  they want my money here, in Thailand.  Hey ho, in for a penny in for £10,000.

Previously, over many of the last 40 years,  we have stayed 6 months of the year away from the uk (Oct -March), with me using an 'O' class Non imm. visa.

We usually had a trip away before the 90 day report, returning by air, as it seemed a more enjoyable way to spend time than shuffling through Bangkok traffic and queuing to be grilled by stern faced, braided officers - no criticism of the 'customer service' intended, just personal experience colouring my judgement, and others will say things have changed... or not. 

The following is my (tenuous) understanding of what is required by the bank to open an account and I would appreciate knowledge based corrections.

So, first we have to go to the British Embassy in person, by appointment, to have the MC certified - there and then..?

Then we take the document to the translation service and leave it with them to perform their magic.

The translator sends their translated documents (original and translation) to the 'Gongsun' [Consul?] for 'certification' and when it is certified they will return the document to us, by post.

We then take it to the local Amphur where it is 'registered/ratified'?

Right so far?? 

..... If you have skipped 3 paragraphs to get here, I totally accept your attention deficit... I've has 3 coffee breaks so far ..

We then get various papers (including a K2 form/document? and/or K3) and supply one/all of them to the bank branch, who transfer them to head office.

Head office respond to allow (or not) a bank account to be opened in my sole name to deposit the funds, which are in Mrs Magpie's account, at the same branch.

Any knowledge based corrections appreciated.

Q.  Do the Thai embassy in London provide the translation authentication service and if so is it more expensive - MORE complicated - and can it all be done by registered post or is attendance in person required? 

PS - I am aware of online appointments and reporting in Thailand but have not yet attempted either as the bank account and therefore marriage certificate seems a primary requirement.

Thanks, and best regards to the community.

I await a flood of replies,  LOL

Did you get married here in Thailand or in the UK.

If the UK it has to be legalized in the UK. The procedure is here in the file from the UK embassy.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

If married here your marriage certificate would not need to be translated if using it here. If legalization is needed it can be done by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA. Info in Thai is here. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/page/cate-6441-รับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร?menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c008184

Married in England Ubon, and thanks for cutting through the fog, once again. 

I was feeling I should make an effort to sort it out here and now in LOS, but am secretly pleased to be given a reason [excuse] to shelve the project until spring in the UK.  

It is interesting however that the door is opened in the Embassy's text to check for potential local updates on what it defines the recognised procedure.  I suspect there may be a 'man who knows a man who can'  somewhere in the metropolis...

But I'll settle for following recommended procedure and an excursion before the 90 day deadline ... I reckon that could be funded by the unexpected surplus in Mrs. Magpie's account...

said Zeberdee ...

hopefully.

7 hours ago, magpie3 said:

I was feeling I should make an effort to sort it out here and now in LOS, but am secretly pleased to be given a reason [excuse] to shelve the project until spring in the UK. 

It will need to done according to the procedures if you want to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires to apply for a extension based upon marriage to a Thai.

You can do the legalization by mail. Others have had friends or family in the UK to the mailing for the legalization and stamping by the embassy and then back to you.

Dearxxxxxxxxxx

As mentioned in your email that you would like to open an account with Bangkok Bank, it is our great pleasure to provide you with the information you have requested.  

Firstly, foreign individual customers can open an account in person at any of Bangkok Bank branches in Thailand. Our main branches open on Monday to Friday at 8.30 a.m.-4.00 p.m. The minimum deposit is THB 500 for savings account and THB 10,000 for current account you can apply for a Debit card at THB 300. You need to bring your passport along with relevant documents as follows:   

1. Foreigner with a work permit     

• Passport     

• Work Permit     

2. Foreigner without work permit     

• Passport     

• A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document      

• Embassy located in Thailand      

• An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT      

• Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank     

• Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.     

• Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.     

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).     

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand     

• Passport, Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate      

• House Registration document   

•    

However, required documents that our branches considered as acceptable for opening the account of foreign customers are a valid passport and a letter of recommendation from your embassy in Thailand. If you show your valid passport and other documents (except work permit), the branch manager will reconsider your documents as extra practice under his responsibility.   

Moreover, you 

can open a Foreign Currency Deposit Account for Non-Residents in 16 major currencies in a Savings, Fixed Deposit or Current Account at any branch that provides Foreign Currency Deposit Account services. Or you may contact Head Office Branch on Silom Road, Bangkok at 8.30a.m.-4.00p.m. Monday to Friday. The minimum deposit required is USD1,000 or equivalent in another currency. 

We also have London Branch in England. The branch's business is under the terms and conditions of the country so may we suggest you contact the branch directly. Our marketing officers will be happy to assist you in any way possible. 

London Branch

Mr. Peeriyathep Homhuan, SVP & Branch Manager

Exchequer Court,

33 St. Mary Axe, London

EC3A 8BY, United Kingdom

Business Hours: Monday-Friday (9:30a.m.-3:00p.m.)

Tel: (44) 20 7929 4422 (from outside UK) or 020 7929 4422 (from UK)

Fax: (44) 20 7283 3988 (from outside UK) or 020 7283 3988 (from UK)

SWIFT: BKKB GB 2L

Email: [email protected]

Thank you for sending us your inquiries via this email.

For more assistance, you can call to our Phone Banking Center at (66)26455555 (Oversea call) or 1333 (within Thailand) then press2 for English then 0 and 8 to contact our customer service representative, 24x7 service hours.  

Faithfully yours,  

Bualuang Phone
Bangkok Bank Public Company limited  

• Like 1

keep trying other banks in other areas' one will open an account for you, other way is to use an agent

regarding yearly 'married' extensions, if going back to UK, you should legalize the marraige cert there , as posted by ubonjoe, it's a long winded process

if you need to extend your permission to stay here you can do a 60 day visit Thai wife extension without the legalization paperwork, one extension per entry into Thailand,

if you need longer then a multi entry non imm visa from Savannakhet is i believe possible with a non-Thai marriage cert,

Thanks for the above info guys.

All very informative and eye opening.

It looks like written Thai regulatory requirements can be either 'flexible' or potentially, ignored.  

Fortunately for me opening the account is not urgent. If it was I   would probably be grateful for the opportunity to bend the written rules.  As things stand, I can follow up in the UK where the illusion of control feels more tangible. ????

14 hours ago, magpie3 said:

Fortunately for me opening the account is not urgent. If it was I   would probably be grateful for the opportunity to bend the written rules.

The process of opening a Thai bank account can be simple, torturous, or impossible in any one branch of any bank.

The requirements vary but as you are married you navigate to the easier end of the spectrum.

they include, passport, cash, some form of proof of address, for you and your wife, ID card and possibly blue book or copy. With your wife in attendance the address proof is likely to be blue book.

The only universal is that it takes time, possibly hours to finalise..

If one branch refuses you go to the next, rinse and repeat you will get an account. Don’t believe the statement that it is impossible, it isn’t, and the next branch could prove that.

The statement that it is impossible actually means that that officer or branch manager doesn’t want to open the account. 

Purely my own experience; I’ve been opening accounts occasionally since 1980 that last one in 2020 various banks various areas, mostly  accompanied by a Thai  few if any problems. Costs usually minimal as I never got the expensive bank card, if I was opening an account in the branch my Thai friend used zero problems. I have opened accounts while staying, visa exempt, tourist visa, Non-O and annual extension of stay.

TIT YMWV

1 hour ago, William C F Pierce said:

WHY ALL THIS HASSLE??? When I first came to Chiang Mai in 2006 for 1 month staying at a Guest House. I went with a girlfriend to a Bangkok Bank and opened an account with just my Passport and UK address on my driving licence. The process done in no time at all.

I gather it's all about international fraud and money laundering which has increased geometrically since 2006. I want to open an account with Bangkok Bank but as my earlier post shows they require proof of identity and status. You probably got yours because the branch manager gave you a reference without knowing you, they are very careful now and don't easily give references to foreigners like they used to. I am getting my affirmation of marriage document from the embassy and will get a reference for opening an account at the same time.

7 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

WHY ALL THIS HASSLE??? When I first came to Chiang Mai in 2006 for 1 month staying at a Guest House. I went with a girlfriend to a Bangkok Bank and opened an account with just my Passport and UK address on my driving licence. The process done in no time at all.

It is annoying, but a sign of the times. Officially, the rules are far tighter now. In practice, individual branches have plenty of discretion to allow you to open a savings account if they want. Sometimes, agreeing to purchase a moderate accident insurance policy (perhaps, a 3,000 baht premium) will be enough to persuade them. They receive a small commission for selling you the policy.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the foreign office UK regarding the permission to marry document. The answer is that it must be issued by the UK embassy in Thailand, it will not be accepted by the Amphur otherwise.. You can complete an online form in the UK then you make an appointment online at the UK embassy in Bangkok The lead time for an appointment is approximately 1 month. I completed the online system and made the appointment whilst in the UK. It must be translated along with passport and any divorce documents. All tjhe translated documents must be ratified by the Thai authorities. According to the information leaflet issued by the Amphur in Pattaya the British Embassy will recommend which translation service to use. You receive an email with a pdf of the permission to marry document attached. You must print it and take it with you to your appointment to be signed and stamped.

Marriage Instructions Pattaya.jpg