The Glasgow Rangers Thread.

Jockstar

Since the last thread was more for last season . Then i thought i'd start this new fresh one with news and results etc for the up and coming season.

Bordeaux warn Rangers off Faubert

Reports claim Walter Smith is ready to table a bid of around £5million for the 23-year-old France midfielder.

But Bordeaux bosses insist they have no intention of selling the player - and say Rangers would need to double their offer even if Faubert was for sale.

Bordeaux chairman Jean-Louis Triaud told the Daily Record: 'We have never discussed the transfer of this player with Glasgow Rangers.

'We understand the agent has been very active but we don't want to sell him.

'But, even if we did agree to sell, £5million would be too low. We do not have a fixed price for him but it would have to be double the kind of money that is being talked about.'

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defiant Killie reject new Rangers bid for Naismith

Kilmarnock are determined to hold out for their full asking price for Steven Naismith after rejecting an improved bid from Rangers.

The Scotland international, 20, features prominently on Walter Smith's list of summer transfer targets.

However an initial offer of £400,000, only half of which would have been paid up front, was thrown out by Kilmarnock and a follow-up offer has also been dismissed.

Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies told The Herald: 'I spoke to Michael Johnston the Kilmarnock chairman and he filled me in on the discussions that have taken place. Rangers have made an improved offer but it was still not near our valuation.

'There has been talk of more than £1million with add-ons but it was not in that area. It was an increase on their last bid but not substantial enough for Kilmarnock to consider acceptable. It was also structured with half up front, and half in a year's time.

'It's up to Rangers what happens next. We have always said that unless we receive a bid that we consider acceptable then Steven will stay with Kilmarnock for next season. If the right money is put forward then it will be up to Steven what he does.'

Kilmarnock continue to value Naismith at £1.5million, and have vowed to hold on to the Scottish Professional Footballers' Association's young player of the year unless their demands are met.

Naismith has stressed he is in no rush to leave Rugby Park, and after winning his first Scotland cap against the Faroe Islands earlier this month he has found that international recognition can be gained even with one of the smaller clubs in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

There has been interest from English clubs in Naismith, however he has expressed reluctance to leave Scotland in the early stages of his career, fearing he could 'disappear' in the Premier League.

Caen to leave Rangers as duo sign

Rangers have offloaded Swedish defender Karl Svensson to French club Caen.

The Sweden international arrived at Ibrox last summer as one of Paul Le Guen's first signings, and was heavily involved during the first half of the season.

However Svensson was used sparingly after the French coach left in January.

New boss Walter Smith brought in David Weir and Ugo Ehiogu to add experience to the Rangers rearguard, and the manager is thought to have defenders in his sights as he looks to further strengthen his squad this summer.

Svensson, 23, had been the captain of IFK Gothenburg before moving to Scotland.

He made 28 appearances for Rangers and has reportedly signed a three-year deal at his new club. French top flight newcomers Caen, while confirming the move, did not confirm contractual details.

The arrival of Scotland B defender Kirk Broadfoot from St Mirren was an indication that Svensson's time at Ibrox was almost up.

Broadfoot, 22, has joined this summer to add to the competition for places in the Rangers side, and the former St Mirren captain is looking forward to being involved in a selection battle.

Broadfoot told Rangers World: 'I think it's only good for the squad and good for the dressing room.

'If you're guaranteed a place every week you might slack so I think it's good for the team and Rangers in general.

'Hopefully I can get on the pitch and play and do myself justice.

'The likes of David Weir and Ugo Ehiogu have played in the Premiership and at international level, so I think I can only learn by watching them day-in, day-out.'

Meanwhile, Rangers have made DaMarcus Beasley their fifth summer signing after confirming his arrival from PSV Eindhoven.

The United States international was at Murray Park this afternoon to put the finishing touches to his transfer, and he has signed a three-year contract.

Beasley's move, which is subject to the likely formality of a work permit being granted, had been held up while the United States took part in the Gold Cup, which they won with victory over Mexico in Sunday's final.

The 25-year-old had an injury-interrupted loan spell at Manchester City last season, where his performances did not do justice to his reputation.

But the winger, who has more than 60 caps for his country, has delighted Rangers boss Walter Smith with his eagerness to move to Scotland.

He played two full campaigns with PSV before spending a year in England, however the Dutch giants did not expect Beasley to feature prominently in their team next season.

The former Chicago Fire player cost PSV approximately £1.5million in 2004, and played for the United States at the World Cup in 2002 and 2006.

While the Beasley deal awaited completion, Rangers announced they have signed former Kilmarnock goalkeeper Graeme Smith to act as cover for Allan McGregor.

Smith, 24, turned down new terms at Rugby Park to become a free agent this summer, and Rangers revealed he has signed a three-year contract with them.

Smith came through the ranks at Kilmarnock and, after previous spells on loan at Queen's Park and Stenhousemuir, began to establish himself in the first team at Rugby Park last season.

Cuellar's move to Rangers in the balance

Rangers and Osasuna remain at a stalemate over the transfer of Carlos Cuellar despite the Spanish defender coming out in favour of a move to Ibrox.

The team who knocked Rangers out of last season's UEFA Cup are thought to want more than £2.5million for the 25-year-old.

A buy-out fee of £4million in Cuellar's contract is unlikely to interest Rangers, who saw French midfielder Julien Faubert slip from their grasp at the weekend when the Bordeaux player elected to join West Ham.

Cuellar's agent, Pedro Bravo, confirmed the move is still a strong possibility, but far from a formality.

Bravo said: 'Rangers and Osasuna are still negotiating the player's transfer. They have not reached an agreement yet.

'We hope that it will be soon but it's difficult to know. The player remains cautious as he respects both clubs but it's clear that he is interested in going to Glasgow otherwise we wouldn't be negotiating.'

Cuellar faced Rangers in the UEFA Cup last season and is considered by Walter Smith to be a better option than Karl Svensson, who was allowed to join French side Caen last week.

The club continue to pursue Kilmarnock's Steven Naismith and Wigan's Lee McCulloch.

McCulloch was reported at the weekend to be on the brink of moving to Ibrox but that deal has yet to be concluded.

Rangers clinch deal for Osasuna's Cuellar

Rangers have made Spanish defender Carlos Cuellar their sixth permanent signing of the summer.

He becomes the most expensive of Walter Smith's recruits, joining from Osasuna for a fee thought to be around £2million.

The centre-back, 25, agreed personal terms and passed a medical after arriving in Glasgow last night.

Cuellar first caught the eye of Rangers manager Smith last season, when the Ibrox side exited the UEFA Cup in the last 16 at the hands of Osasuna.

Smith told club website:'We're delighted to sign Carlos. We were impressed with him when we went to watch Osasuna before our UEFA Cup tie and also in the tie itself.

'We then followed up on that and decided to make an offer to Osasuna. I'm very pleased that we have now done the deal and I feel sure he will be an excellent addition to our squad.'

The arrival of the uncapped 6ft 3in Cuellar will increase competition for places in central defence. Rangers already have Ugo Ehiogu, David Weir, Kirk Broadfoot, Andy Webster and Sasa Papac in their squad.

Alan Gow, Broadfoot, Jean-Claude Darcheville, DaMarcus Beasley and Graeme Smith have arrived at Ibrox this summer on permanent deals, while Webster has extended his loan spell from Wigan until January.

Rangers are likely to spend again before the start of the season, as Smith looks to build a team capable of challenging Celtic in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Scotland internationals Steven Naismith and Lee McCulloch remain among their targets, and negotiations with Kilmarnock and Wigan are expected to continue.

Cuellar could make his Rangers debut on the trip to Germany which begins next week. Their first pre-season match comes against FC Gutersloh next Friday, July 13.

When I heard Rangers had signed a new keeper I thought it was you mate :o:D:D !!!!!!

Carroll signs one year Gers deal _42345714_roy_carroll_train_203.jpg Carroll was released by West Ham at the end of last seasonRangers have signed former West Ham and Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll on a one year contract.

The Northern Irishman started his career with Hull City in 1995 and moved on to Wigan Athletic, where he made 136 appearances for the Lancashire club.

The 29-year-old spent four seasons with Alex Ferguson's side from 2001-2005, before moving to Upton Park. He will provide Allan McGregor and Graeme Smith with competition for the number one jersey at Ibrox

Rangers manager hails McCulloch signing

Rangers manager Walter Smith has pinpointed Lee McCulloch's versatility and experience in England's top flight as the factors which made him such an attractive signing.

McCulloch completed his £2.25million switch from Wigan to Rangers last night and could go straight into the team for tomorrow's friendly against FC Gutersloh.

Rangers fly out to Germany for a three-game tour today, with 29-year-old McCulloch having become Smith's eighth permanent major signing of a busy summer.

'The handy thing for us is that he can play both in midfield or up front,' said Smith.

'That asset is important in football these days and Lee has shown that he can switch positions without any great problem.

'He played a good bit of last season as a centre-forward for Wigan, but probably established himself by playing wide on the left.

'He gave them a slightly different dimension than having an ordinary winger-type in that role and it was successful.

'Lee has managed to get a good number of goals from that position and that was obviously an attraction.

'When I came in during January, we hoped to get him then but were unable to do so for one reason and another.'

Wigan made a profit of £1.55million on a player who joined for £700,000 in 2001, when the Latics were in League One.

They refused a £750,000 offer from Rangers in January, however former national team boss Smith was determined to land a player who featured in many of his Scotland squads.

Smith added: 'He knew of our interest in January and was dead keen to come then.

'He has played regularly in the Premiership and that's a big factor in terms of experience. The main thing for us is that he wants to come and play for Rangers. Hopefully, the knowledge he has gained in England will stand him in good stead.'

Rangers manager hails McCulloch signing

Rangers manager Walter Smith has pinpointed Lee McCulloch's versatility and experience in England's top flight as the factors which made him such an attractive signing.

McCulloch completed his £2.25million switch from Wigan to Rangers last night and could go straight into the team for tomorrow's friendly against FC Gutersloh.

Rangers fly out to Germany for a three-game tour today, with 29-year-old McCulloch having become Smith's eighth permanent major signing of a busy summer.

'The handy thing for us is that he can play both in midfield or up front,' said Smith.

'That asset is important in football these days and Lee has shown that he can switch positions without any great problem.

'He played a good bit of last season as a centre-forward for Wigan, but probably established himself by playing wide on the left.

'He gave them a slightly different dimension than having an ordinary winger-type in that role and it was successful.

'Lee has managed to get a good number of goals from that position and that was obviously an attraction.

'When I came in during January, we hoped to get him then but were unable to do so for one reason and another.'

Wigan made a profit of £1.55million on a player who joined for £700,000 in 2001, when the Latics were in League One.

They refused a £750,000 offer from Rangers in January, however former national team boss Smith was determined to land a player who featured in many of his Scotland squads.

Smith added: 'He knew of our interest in January and was dead keen to come then.

'He has played regularly in the Premiership and that's a big factor in terms of experience. The main thing for us is that he wants to come and play for Rangers. Hopefully, the knowledge he has gained in England will stand him in good stead.'

Rangers drop interest in Naismith

Steven Naismith (left) scored for Kilmarnock against Dundee

Rangers have dropped their interest in Kilmarnock striker Steven Naismith after having four offers turned down for the Scotland international.

Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies told BBC Sport that their Scottish Premier League rivals had not been in official touch for a couple of weeks.

And Ibrox counterpart Walter Smith said: "We have withdrawn the offer. I can't make it clearer than that.

"We can't come to agreement with Kilmarnock, so that's it finished."

The transfer of Naismith appeared near to completion last week when Jefferies revealed that informal talks through the player's agent had brought the two sides closer together.

But Killie chairman Michael Johnston told BBC Sport: "It hasn't resulted in anything concrete.

I hope Kilmarnock accept an offer soon and let me prepare properly for the new season

Kilmarnock striker Steven Naismith

"Rangers have improved the terms under which payment would be made, but there is still a fair gulf between our valuations.

"Meantime, we have had a higher offer from another major club, but nobody has offered what we are looking for."

Reports suggest that Kilmarnock want £2m, while Rangers' latest offer was closer to £1.5m.

Celtic, Bristol City and Hibernian have previously been linked with the player.

Naismith scored Killie's second goal in Saturday's 2-2 draw away to Dundee in what was his first pre-season outing.

And Jefferies admitted that his movements in the transfer market were being constrained by the uncertainty surrounding the 20-year-old.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

The only other "major" club it could be is Celtic

Killie Boy 118

"Rangers have not been in touch officially for a couple of weeks," he said.

"There has been interest from other parties, but nothing concrete, so there is nothing new to report."

Meanwhile, Naismith showed his frustration about the lack of progress.

"I just want my future sorted out as quickly as possible," he told the Sunday Mail.

"All the speculation is starting to affect me.

"Whatever club comes in for me, I hope Kilmarnock accept an offer soon and let me prepare properly for the new season.

"This could be a life-changing opportunity and I don't want anything to jeopardise it."

SEE ALSO

Naismith exit closer - Jefferies

19 Jul 07 | Kilmarnock

Rangers withdraw Naismith offer

07 Jul 07 | Kilmarnock

Rangers warned in Naismith chase

05 Jul 07 | Kilmarnock

Boyd backs Ibrox target Naismith

04 Jul 07 | Rangers

Gers new Naismith offer rejected

01 Jul 07 | Kilmarnock

RELATED BBC LINKS:

Rangers fans' views on My Sport

BBC Where I Live - Scotland

Glasgow weather

BBC Sport SPL

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:

Rangers

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

rangers beaten by the mighty hanover whilst the police look at sir dodgy daves books another great season lies ahead for the former champions

just make it 4 stars loyal

oh the dignity

Sir dodgy daves books?? the gers have now opened the cheque book and brought in some great SCOTTISH talent !! hopefully new season to come will be a winning one.

Smith unlikely to strengthen Rangers squad

Rangers manager Walter Smith revealed it is unlikely there will be any new arrivals at Ibrox before tomorrow's transfer deadline for their Champions League qualifier.

Smith has brought in eight new additions to his squad during the close season but does not envisage that number growing ahead of their crucial Euro qualifier.

Rangers face either FK Zeta or FBK Kaunas in the second round of Champions League qualifiers with the first leg of their tie on Tuesday, July 31.

The transfer deadline for players to be registered in time for this vial encounter is this Wednesday but having drawn a line under the Steven Naismith transfer saga, Smith is happy with the squad he has got.

Smith said: 'It looks as if we will go with what we have before the deadline, which we are happy to do as long as everyone stays fit.

'I am fed up with it (Naismith speculation). It's finished with. We withdrew our offer a fortnight ago and that is it.

'I have to concentrate on the Champions League.

'There is a situation where we would still look at one or two things but remember we have a group of players here and maybe we would need to lose one or two before we brought anyone in.'

Smith feels his new-look squad is starting to take shape and with some fine tuning in their final two friendlies against Ajax and Chelsea will be ready for the challenges ahead.

He said: 'As a manager, you always have an idea of which way you want to go. Sometimes it works out and sometimes you find that you have to make an adjustment.

'We are just starting out, trying to integrate players into the team and it's not easy. But it's sometimes we have to do and, obviously, I have got in mind what I'd like to do.

'Sometimes we will look at the opposition before picking the team. We now have a squad of players in which some will be better suited to playing against specific sides.

'We will look at the teams and look at the varying types of players who could cause problems for them.

'We hope to get as close to our 11 as we can over these two games and get them at least an hour of the two games that we have.'

Not a great performance from our boys, I thought the score didn't show the true picture.

Rangers sink Chelsea in Glasgow

Nacho Novo and Filip Sebo cracked in late goals to give Rangers a 2-0 win over Chelsea in their Ibrox friendly.

The runners-up from Scotland and England last season put on an entertaining show, full of good chances and a few crunching tackles.

Novo found the net via a post on 86 minutes with wonderful strike from 20 yards after good work from Chris Burke.

A minute later, Sebo made up for an earlier glaring miss with a deflected strike from similar range.

The win sets Rangers up perfectly for the first leg of their Champions League second-round qualifier against FK Zeta on Tuesday.

Both sides made eight substitutions during the game but the game managed to flow more than most pre-season games.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba flashed a header across the face of goal and past the upright and his new team-mate Florent Malouda tried his luck with a long range strike in the first half Sebo, a much-maligned figure last season, somehow then managed to mis-kick in front of goal from eight yards.

Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar did well to block a point-blank shot from Claudio Pizarro on the line before the new Chelsea recruit tested Roy Carroll with a stinging effort.

Rangers finished strongly and a surging run from Burke set up Novo for his impressive strike.

Sebo then sent Ibrox into raptures with a thunderous effort, albeit one which took a big deflection.

Rangers beat Chelsea in Euro warm up

Rangers 2-0 Chelsea

Nacho Novo and Filip Sebo hit late goals to sink Chelsea and set up Rangers perfectly for their Champions League second-round qualifier against FK Zeta.

Novo opened the scoring after 86 minutes but it was Sebo's strike 60 seconds later which captured the imagine of the home fans, who hope he is finally ready the shed the joke-figure image he acquired during his debut season at Ibrox.

Rangers will no doubt take plenty of positives from the performance against the Premier League giants, with their European campaign about to begin in earnest.

The trip to Glasgow marked the penultimate game in Chelsea's own pre-season preparations.

They face Denmark's Brondby on Tuesday night before tackling Manchester United, the team who denied them the English title, in the Community Shield on August 5.

John Terry, fresh from signing a new five-year deal which reportedly makes him England's highest-paid player on £130,000 a week, recovered from a toe injury in time to lead out the Stamford Bridge side at Ibrox. Summer signings Florent Malouda, Steve Sidwell and Tal Ben Haim were also named in the starting line-up.

Arjen Robben's absence from the squad was the result of a knee injury rather than speculation of an imminent move to Real Madrid for the Dutch winger.

The 11 players named by Walter Smith were identical to the line-up selected by the Rangers manager for Tuesday's friendly against Ajax, suggesting he has now settled on the team likely to begin the new Clydesdale Bank Premier League campaign which gets under way in Inverness a week today. Before then, Rangers take on Zeta on Tuesday.

Apparently, no-one was willing to take their place in Smith's plans for granted though and Rangers hassled and harried their glamorous visitors from the first whistle.

Jean-Claude Darcheville, the man dubbed `The Rocket', left Terry in his wake when he exploded down the flank and left the side-netting shuddering from the impact of his right-footed effort.

Sasa Papac then sliced a diagonal ball into the path of Kris Boyd but the move was easily read by Petr Cech, the Chelsea goalkeeper racing off his line to smother before the striker had the chance to pull the trigger.

'Jose, thanks for Seville' proclaimed a banner among the near-capacity crowd, referencing Mourinho's triumph as Porto manager over Rangers' bitter rivals Celtic in the 2003 UEFA Cup final.

But, on the pitch at least, the love-in was about to come to an end.

A cynical Barry Ferguson foul on Malouda earned the Rangers captain a quiet word in his ear from referee Stuart Dougal, as well as a sneaky push from Didier Drogba. Malouda then made a scything tackle on Ferguson minutes later.

The former Lyon man then turned his focus back to the football, flighting a cross onto the head of Drogba, whose header flashed across the face of goal and past the upright. Malouda also tried his luck before the break, his long-range strike whistling past the static Allan McGregor and harmlessly wide.

Half-time prompted a flood of substitutions, Chelsea making four changes and Rangers making six, handing a home debut to former Manchester United and West Ham goalkeeper Roy Carroll.

Chelsea's Ashley Cole then made his first appearance since undergoing an ankle operation in the summer when he replaced Glen Johnson early in the second half.

Terry picked up the first booking of the game for tangling with Sebo before the striker, famous for his failings at Rangers last season, somehow managed to mis-kick in front of goal from eight yards after being released by Nacho Novo.

At the other end, Carlos Cuellar was in the right place at the right time to block a point-blank shot from Claudio Pizarro on the line before the new Chelsea recruit tested Carroll with a stinging effort seconds later.

It was Rangers who found the back of the net as the game raced towards its conclusion. A surging Chris Burke run preceded Novo's strike, which he smashed home off the inside of the post, before Sebo sent Ibrox into raptures a minute later with a thunderous effort, albeit one which took a big deflection.

The flashes of brilliance widely expected from Chelsea's superstars failed to illuminate the match as much as the luminous yellow strips they wore.

It was hard to think anything other than they were biding their time until it really matters.

As for Rangers, the hard work starts now.

Rangers 2-0 Zeta

PA

Rangers will be hopeful of progressing to the third qualifying round of the Champions League next week after thrashing out a 2-0 win over FK Zeta at Ibrox.

The home side's performance was far from convincing at times but goals from David Weir and Lee McCulloch secured a crucial victory, despite Alan Hutton's red card midway through the second half.

The draw for the third round qualifier - which also includes Scottish champions Celtic - takes place on Friday and the pressure is on Rangers to ensure they make it that far in the competition.

The club's debt has soared from £5.9million to £16.5million as a direct result of missing out on the Champions League last year, meaning Gers head into next week's second leg knowing there is no room for error.

Walter Smith named the same starting 11 which faced Ajax and Chelsea in last week's friendlies, including captain Barry Ferguson - whose 65th appearance in European competition saw him overtake John Greig's record.

There were no away fans at Ibrox to witness this first leg and the Zeta players found themselves under siege early on.

Rangers should have been ahead with just seven seconds on the clock. Barry Ferguson's pass from the kick-off found McCulloch, who released Kris Boyd through the middle into the box.

The striker raced past two Zeta defenders before teeing up the shot to nestle in the bottom corner but could only look on in disbelief when his left-footed effort cracked off the outside of the post.

Boyd then attempted to help a 25-yard Charlie Adam strike into the back of the net but guided the effort a couple of yards wide.

It looked as though it was shaping up to be a busy night for Zeta goalkeeper Sasa Ivanovic, who smothered a Darcheville shot, before stretching to tip an Adam header over the bar.

Darcheville had another go with a point-blank shot, which was spilled by the goalkeeper but there were no takers from Rangers and Ivanovic recovered his composure to smother before McCulloch raced into the box.

But Zeta could have grabbed a shock opener before the break when Zarko Korac was hauled down on the edge of the box by Carlos Cuellar. Darko Markovic's free-kick whistled inches wide as McGregor remained motionless on his line.

Bojan Ivanovic sent a right-footed shot fizzing across the face of goal and past the post, with the half-time whistle surely coming as more of a relief to Rangers.

A less-than-inspiring display from Adam in the opening 45 minutes cost him his place for the second half.

He was replaced by Nacho Novo at the break, the Spaniard slotting into the right of midfield and McCulloch shifting to the left.

Shortly after the restart Boyd again squandered a gilt-edged opportunity in front of goal.

Ivanovic failed to hold a thunderous Ferguson drive and Boyd somehow managed to blast over from the rebound when it looked so much easier to hit the target.

The breakthrough came in fortunate circumstances for Rangers with 54 minutes gone.

A Zeta clearance fell to the feet of Weir 25 yards out, who lobbed the ball back into the box.

Darcheville and Ivanovic clashed on the line in their attempts to get to the ball, both missed, and Weir's effort trickled into the back of the net.

The home side were reduced to 10 men with half an hour left to play when Hutton picked up two yellow cards in the space of 60 seconds, the second for encroaching at a free-kick.

Rangers had no option but to respond to the red card and Boyd was the player sacrificed, with Kirk Broadfoot coming off the bench to fill the void left by Hutton at right-back.

Despite numbers now being in Zeta's favour, Rangers found the back of the net again after 72 minutes.

Ferguson's free-kick was met by the head of McCulloch at the back post, who nodded into the net from close range as Novo successfully held off a Zeta defender.

Smith content with Ibrox victory

Smith knows a £10m Champions League reward is at stake

Rangers manager Walter Smith declared himself satisfied with the result, if not performance, from his side as they laboured to a 2-0 win over FK Zeta.

"It's a good result and we would have taken it before kick-off," Smith said.

"We didn't play particularly well but it's the first competitive game of the season and that's always difficult.

"We have a big advantage as we didn't concede an away goal so we're delighted from that point of view. The home leg, in many ways, can be the more awkward."

Interview: Rangers manager Walter Smith

Interview: Rangers defender David Weir

Innocuous goals from Scotland internationals David Weir and Lee McCulloch gave the Ibrox side a decent cushion going into the second leg.

Despite the result, Rangers will be without Alan Hutton in next Tuesday's return in Montenegro after the full-back received two yellow cards.

"It was strange that Alan's first tackle was the one that the referee picked out because there was many like that before it," Smith added.

"We're disappointed to lose him but we have to put up with it."

Weir echoed his managers thoughts and was keen to look at the positives of the evening.

"It could have been worse," he said.

"The performance isn't everything and we have a lot of new players so we're not going to beat teams five or six nil.

"We've not done enough yet but hopefully we can sneak a goal over there and keep another clean sheet."

Rangers sign Whittaker from Hibs for £2m

Rangers have signed Steven Whittaker from Hibernian for £2million but will be prevented from handing him an immediate debut.

The 23-year-old signed a five-year contract and successfully underwent a medical today.

Whittaker, who is uncapped at senior level by Scotland, is primarily a right-back but can also operate in midfield.

He becomes Rangers' ninth summer signing and the deal takes the club's close-season spending above £7million.

It was initially thought that Whittaker would make his first Rangers appearance on Saturday, in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League match at Inverness which launches the new campaign.

However a one-match suspension carried over from last season alerted Rangers to the fact he is ineligible.

Instead, he could feature for the first time in the August 11 home match against St Mirren.

Whittaker's arrival comes the day after regular right-back Alan Hutton was sent off on Champions League duty against FK Zeta.

Whittaker will be unable to play in next Tuesday's second leg of the second qualifying round tie, having been bought after the UEFA-set deadline for signings.

He could feature in the third round of qualifying though, providing Rangers convert their 2-0 advantage from the first leg into overall victory against Zeta.

Rangers manager Walter Smith indicated his admiration for Whittaker during the final weeks of his spell as Scotland boss.

He called the defender into his squad for the trip to Ukraine last October, but Whittaker played no part in the Euro 2008 qualifier.

The new recruit joins former Hibernian colleagues Kevin Thomson and Ian Murray at Ibrox.

Thomson was a £2million signing in January, while Murray moved from Edinburgh to Glasgow in summer 2005.

Rangers chairman Sir David Murray has pledged to take the club's spending on players above £10million by the time the transfer window closes on August 31.

Former Osasuna defender Carlos Cuellar was a £2.5million signing, Lee McCulloch joined from Wigan for £2.25million and DaMarcus Beasley arrived in a £700,000 deal from PSV Eindhoven.

Rangers' other signings have come in at little or no expense, with Kirk Broadfoot, Alan Gow, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Roy Carroll and Graeme Smith bolstering the strength in depth of Smith's squad.

Lens striker Daniel Cousin has emerged as a target and could become the 10th player to join, while Rangers have a long-held interest in Kilmarnock's Steven Naismith but have been unwilling to meet the £2million asking price.

Whittaker had been linked with Blackburn and Middlesbrough recently, but a move to Rangers had always appeared his most likely next step.

The Scottish Premier kicks off today and it looks like its going to be one of the best fights for a while. Come on Rangers!!!

Celtic ready for SPL title battle with Smith's Gers

GLASGOW, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Celtic manager Gordon Strachan faces his toughest Scottish Premier League campaign yet with the return of Walter Smith to his spiritual home at Rangers.

Strachan won a league and cup double last season but Smith has now taken the Ibrox reins after Frenchman Paul Le Guen's dreadful six-month spell and promises a fight for silverware.

There were already signs that Rangers were ready to mount a serious title challenge when they secured the second Champions League slot under Smith's tutelage last term.

Celtic secured their 41st title by a margin of 12 points but even their faithful support grew restless in the closing stages of the campaign as they stumbled over the finishing line after having enjoyed a 17-point advantage in January.

Both Glasgow clubs launched summer spending sprees but Celtic seem to have made the most pivotal signing in Hibernian and Scotland midfielder Scott Brown for a record fee between Scottish clubs of £4.4 million ($8.94 million).

Rangers were in the hunt until chairman David Murray baulked at the wages on offer from Celtic and Brown could turn out to be the difference between the teams this season.

This is going to be an important term for Brown and Rangers' decision to pull out of the move for him could prove costly as Strachan homes in on a third successive championship.

That feat was last achieved at Celtic by Jock Stein during the famous nine-in-a-row run of titles up to 1974.

Smith will prove the perfect foe after his previous spell at Rangers who he led to a ninth title in succession in 1997.

As national team manager he had already restored Scotland's fortunes with impressive results, notably a 1-0 Euro 2008 home win over World Cup finalists France in October.

But the lure of Rangers was too much and, after quitting the Scotland post in January, Smith has already brought a new confidence to the club.

Hearts were also expected to mount a challenge for the title last season but the club imploded following a succession of managerial changes throughout the season.

Lithuanian Valdas Ivanauskas quit as manager in March and was replaced by the duo of assistant Stephen Frail and Anatoly Korobochka who remain as caretakers.

Frail has installed a new team spirit and said: "It would be remiss of me to... say we will just try to push for third, we don't want to settle for that."

However, it's unlikely the Old Firm of Rangers and Celtic will be split this season with the latter's summer signings giving them the edge to win another title.

A good start to the season.

Inverness CT 0-3 Rangers: Ferguson brace

PA

Skipper Barry Ferguson gave Rangers a significant psychological boost by inspiring a 3-0 victory over Inverness on the opening day of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League campaign.

The long trek north to the Highlands had been a daunting prospect for the Ibrox side, who endured two defeats and a draw against Charlie Christie's side last term.

Results of that ilk typified a dismal season for the Glasgow giants and the victory - thanks to a double from Ferguson and a Nacho Novo strike - will be seen as a signal of intent as Rangers attempt to mount a credible challenge for Celtic's SPL crown.

Manager Walter Smith made two changes from the side which scraped a 2-0 win over FK Zeta in the midweek Champions League qualifier, Charlie Adam and Jean-Claude Darcheville making way for the introduction of Kevin Thomson and DaMarcus Beasley.

It was the United States international who could have opened the scoring early on, pouncing on a Ferguson through-ball and racing down the left flank and into the box.

Beasley's blistering pace took him past several Caley Thistle players but he took too long to pull the trigger and goalkeeper Michael Fraser had raced off his line to block.

Kris Boyd was then the first player to be booked with just 11 minutes on the clock for a challenge on Ian Black, who needed treatment. The home crowd howled furiously at the foul, but the away fans were in raptures five minutes later.

A long ball from Allan McGregor was touched into the path of Ferguson by Lee McCulloch and the Ibrox captain unleashed a superb, left-footed volley which cracked off the inside of the post and into the back of the net from 20 yards.

Brahim Hemdani then had his name taken by referee Kenny Clark for a foul on Dennis Wyness, before Rangers should have doubled their advantage.

Boyd had been singled out for most of the criticism following the poor performance against Zeta, hitting the post in the opening seconds of the qualifier before missing a sitter in the second half.

He had the chance to silence his critics when Ferguson released him into the box, but the luckless striker was denied by the woodwork for the second time in four days as his effort rattled off the crossbar.

Ferguson was the provider again, this time delivering a great ball to the feet of Beasley but the winger fired straight at the goalkeeper, with Boyd begging for the ball a few yards out and with the gaping net in his sights.

As half-time approached Hemdani swung the ball to Carlos Cuellar and the centre-half - who netted in a pre-season friendly against Ajax - was denied his first competitive goal when Fraser parried wide.

Boyd had suffered a knock in the first half and, clearly still struggling, was replaced by Novo three minutes after the restart, with the Spaniard playing on the right and McCulloch pushed further forward through the middle.

Rangers dominated the play early on but were finding it difficult to convert possession into clear-cut chances and Caley slowly began to grow in confidence.

They made a change of their own after 62 minutes, when Rory McAllister was sacrificed for Don Cowie, but any hope of a comeback was dashed when Rangers found the back of the net again two minutes later.

McCulloch did well to hold off two defenders to meet a long goal kick, before squaring into the path of the onrushing Novo, whose thunderous strike from just inside the box left Fraser with no chance.

Inverness shuffled their pack again, Roy McBain making way for Richie Hart and Dean McDonald taking the place of John Rankin.

With time fast running out, Hart tried his luck with a drive which deflected wide, before Wyness saw an angled effort held by McGregor.

However, Rangers ran out comfortable winners when Ferguson grabbed his second of the day in the final minute, sending a cheeky lob over the goalkeeper from 10 yards to set the Ibrox side up perfectly for next week's second leg against Zeta in Montenegro.

Rangers facing probe over chants

Rangers are expected to be reported to the Scottish Premier League because of songs heard coming from their support during Saturday's game in Inverness.

They have already been sanctioned twice by Uefa after chants during European games against Villarreal and Osasuna were deemed offensive.

It is understood events at Caledonian Stadium will be mentioned in SPL delegate Alan Dick's report.

That is expected at the league's offices on Tuesday.

Rangers could face a fine or have points docked but are more likely to escape with a warning this time.

We will be looking into the circumstances surrounding today's game

Rangers statement

The club have had campaigns to eradicate sectarianism within their support.

And a statement from Rangers following the 3-0 victory in Inverness said: "The club is wholly committed to continuing its efforts to eradicate inappropriate behaviour.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

The only way we will rid ourselves of this is for the club to refuse away tickets

Saltire 04

"We will be looking into the circumstances surrounding today's game."

The Ibrox club find themselves under the spotlight again nine days after launching the 'Follow With Pride' campaign, which is aimed at cleaning up the club's image by ending sectarian and other abusive chanting.

Zeta v Rangers: Preview

PA

FK Zeta president Radojica Bozovic insists the sense of occasion surrounding tonight's Champions League clash with Rangers will soon be forgotten if the Montenegrins crash out.

But Bozovic's club believe they can cause a huge shock in the city of Podgorica by overturning a 2-0 first-leg deficit to reach the third round of qualifying.

Goals from David Weir and Lee McCulloch have put Rangers in a strong position, despite a far from convincing performance at Ibrox seven days ago.

Bozovic described the pre-game atmosphere as 'historic'.

'It's really like that,' he said. 'But we want more, and we know we can achieve more.

'This moment is for pride, but we must stay focused and brave. We are thrilled to represent Montenegro at European level.

'But, I must add that even though we respect Rangers as a club, as a football institution and as a team, we'll be focused on our own goal, our own performance and our own wish to go through to the next round.'

Last Friday's draw for the final round of qualifying pitched the winners of Rangers' clash with the victors of the Red Star Belgrade versus Levadia Tallinn tie.

Red Star lead that tie 1-0, but Bozovic insists there is no inevitability that Rangers will face the Serbians in the next round.

Bozovic added: 'I've read that in Belgrade, Red Star are speaking about how they are very satisfied they'll meet Rangers in the third round of qualifying.

'Well, I must say that we are very satisfied because the draw brought us Levadia Tallinn as our next rivals.'

Tonight's clash is a 15,000 sell-out, with the match having been switched to the home ground of FK Buducnost Podgorica because Zeta's Tresnjica Stadium can only accommodate 5,000 spectators.

Zeta defender Milan Radulovic, 26, claims Rangers are in for a shock tonight.

'Their advantage, 2-0, isn't something we can't overcome,' said Radulovic.

'That's why I'm sure Zeta will play from their heart, and that our dream will come true.'

Meanwhile, Rangers winger DaMarcus Beasley hopes to use his pace to catch FK Zeta on the break in their Champions League qualifier.

The American was an unused substitute during last week's 2-0 victory over the Montenegrin outfit in the first leg of the second qualifying round at Ibrox.

But he made his competitive debut in Saturday's 3-0 triumph over Inverness in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League and with Kris Boyd nursing an injury, Beasley could be in line for a start.

An away goal would kill off Zeta's hopes of an upset and Beasley believes his pace can cause problems for the hosts.

'Definitely, anything I can do for the team is always helpful,' he told PA Sport.

'Everyone has their own attributes to help the team, so I have my mine and hopefully what I can do helps the team.

'We concentrate on our football and we will play the way the gaffer wants us to play.

'Whether that is a bit more counter-attacking football and defend more and go on the break, or go at them and try to get a goal, whatever he sees fit we will do.'

The 25-year-old believes the convincing win in the Highlands has lifted the squad ahead of their trip to Podgorica.

Boyd suffered an ankle injury but he travelled this morning along with Jean-Claude Darcheville, who is nursing a slight Achilles strain but is expected to play.

Beasley said: 'It should be all right, everyone is fully fit except for Boyd but I'm sure that he is fighting to get into the team for the game. We are all looking forward to the match.'

Defender Kirk Broadfoot believes the heat could pose a problem for Rangers, with the temperature in Montenegrin capital Podgorica forecast to be above 30C.

'I don't think you can prepare for it,' said the former St Mirren player.

'Of course the heat is going to play a big factor, they will be used to it and we are not but that's something we will just have to deal with.

'We got a good result on Saturday and the boys are quietly confident and hopefully the boys can take that into the match on Tuesday.'

Smith fears heavy UEFA action over chanting

Rangers manager Walter Smith believes further offensive chanting from supporters will see Ibrox closed and the club possibly frozen out of any European leagues in the future.

The Glasgow club are set to be reported by Scottish Premier League delegate Alan Dick for alleged sectarian chanting during the match against Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday.

Tonight's Champions League qualifier against FK Zeta in Montenegro will also be closely scrutinised by UEFA, who have fined Rangers a total of £21,000 for past offences in European matches.

Rangers fans were found guilty of discriminatory chanting in a Champions League qualifier against Villarreal in March 2006.

Smith is concerned that any more problems would have dire consequences for Rangers who are defending a 2-0 lead from the first leg.

He said: 'UEFA are wanting to stamp the problem out. They have fined the club on previous occasions.

'The next time there will be no fine. They are going to close the stadium.

'If people see that they can't come and watch a game then that might bring them to their senses.

'But I'm more concerned about the longer term implications.

'I don't think Rangers or Celtic will ever be accepted in to the Premiership.

'I believe it is more likely that a European league will form and with the situation that we are in at the moment, we would probably be prohibited from joining any such set-up.

'The consequences of that would be far-reaching for the club.

'If we are not in the position to join a European league when it is formed - and it will be - then it would have dire consequences for Rangers.

'That's what these supporters are hindering.'

I've got to ask you Jockstar: why do Rangers and Celtic now in the year 2007 still use football to preach hatred on something that nobody apart from you and the Irish actually gives a toss about?

Is there really nothing in Jockland other than hanging onto things that happened hundreds of years ago?

I've got to ask you Jockstar: why do Rangers and Celtic now in the year 2007 still use football to preach hatred on something that nobody apart from you and the Irish actually gives a toss about?

Is there really nothing in Jockland other than hanging onto things that happened hundreds of years ago?

I agree mate. The majority of the fans are fine. Its the minority who ruin it.

I agree mate. The majority of the fans are fine. Its the minority who ruin it.

I suppose it's the same as the minoriy of english fans who use hooliganism in the same manner. For some reason we still seem to be too tribal, and use football as a front to bash each others heads in.

Zeta 0-1 Rangers: Beasley sends Gers through

DaMarcus Beasley's late goal capped an assured performance from Rangers in Podgorica which carried them through to the third qualifying round of the Champions League.

AP

Kevin Thomson, right, of Glasgow Rangers clashes for the ball with Janko Tumbasevic

The American, who played in the semi-finals of this competition for PSV Eindhoven two years ago, lashed a 20-yard shot past FK Zeta goalkeeper Sasa Ivanovic in the 81st minute to extend Rangers' aggregate lead to 3-0 after last week's victory at Ibrox.

Beasley and team-mate Jean-Claude Darcheville had earlier experienced some racist taunting from the home crowd on a night which was otherwise apparently trouble-free for Rangers.

• Smith thrilled by new boys

Kris Boyd started on the bench for Rangers in Montenegro as they looked to protect a 2-0 first-leg lead in their Champions League second round qualifier against FK Zeta.

The striker was struggling with an ankle injury ahead of the game, with Darcheville fielded as the only out-and-out striker, with Lee McCulloch and Beasley for support.

Rangers were without right-back Alan Hutton, sent off in the first leg, and Kirk Broadfoot filled in. Charlie Adam, who failed to shine in the first leg, was replaced - as he was at Inverness on Saturday - by Kevin Thomson.

The attention of UEFA was on the Rangers supporters, a minority of whom have let the club down with sectarian chanting in recent European games, and in Saturday's Clydesdale Premier League match at Inverness.

Zeta made just one change, with Nenad Djurovic coming into the defence at the expense of Milan Vuckovic.

They approached the match at the Gradski Stadium - not their regular home, but chosen to accommodate the largest crowd - with the conviction that Rangers' lead could be overturned.

After a quiet start, the first threat came from Slaven Stjepanovic down the left, but Broadfoot dealt well with the danger.

McCulloch shot well wide from 25 yards in the ninth minute, before Beasley shot just wide from 20 yards.

The first booking went to Blazo Igumanovic in the 23rd minute for a late tackle, before Stjepanovic shot over.

Cetkovic wriggled past three defenders and set up Bojan Ivanovic for a low shot which McGregor had to get down quickly to gather.

McGregor then carelessly missed a cross before gathering after a high bounce.

Broadfoot failed to make the most of a headed chance, while Beasley remained dangerous coming in from the right flank, winning a couple of free-kicks.

Miroslav Kaludjerovic made a last-ditch challenge to deny Darcheville as the Frenchman threatened just before the break.

Djurovic was booked in the fourth minute of the second half for a reckless challenge on McCulloch, sliding in near the halfway line after the ball had gone.

The hosts made their first change in the 56th minute when the injured Djurovic was replaced by Ivan Knezevic.

Rangers collected their first booking two minutes later with Broadfoot the offender, and Darcheville was soon replaced by Nacho Novo.

McCulloch moved into the central attacking role, with Novo and Beasley his supporting cast.

Zarko Korac wasted a decent chance to halve Rangers' lead when he headed over the bar from eight yards.

McGregor then helped out his defenders with a punched clearance after Ivanovic threatened to get on the end of a long pass over the top.

Ivanovic went down and the crowd briefly demanded a penalty, but Italian referee Paolo Dondarini saw nothing wrong.

Dondarini turned down appeals from Broadfoot soon afterwards when the defender, on a burst forward, stumbled over a challenge.

McCulloch's shot after a laboured build-up was still rising when it cleared the bar - and the same player headed over the bar from Rangers' next chance.

Zeta might have had a penalty in the 75th minute when Stjepanovic went down under the challenge of Broadfoot.

He looked to have been caught but made his protests too vigorously for the referee, who booked the striker.

Beasley netted the only goal of the night in the 81st minute, darting in off the left flank and drilling a low right-footed shot just inside the left post.

Zeta's flapping goalkeeper Sasa Ivanovic dropped a Barry Ferguson cross as Rangers pushed for another goal, before Novo sliced a shot well wide after Thomson picked out his run.

Substitute Adam, on for Thomson, slashed another shot off target, but Rangers cruised to the final whistle.

They await either Red Star Belgrade or Levadia Tallinn in the next round, with the second leg of that tie in Estonia on Wednesday evening.

• Smith thrilled by new boys

Rangers manager Walter Smith's summer spending spree looks like paying for itself after DaMarcus Beasley and a host of new boys shone in the Champions League victory over FK Zeta.

American winger Beasley is proving a snip for the £700,000 Rangers paid to PSV Eindhoven and capped a fine performance in Podgorica with a terrific winning goal to secure a 3-0 aggregate victory.

But there was also an outstanding performance in defence from Spanish centre-back Carlos Cuellar, while former St Mirren captain Kirk Broadfoot gave a battling display at right-back.

Lee McCulloch, who joined from Wigan, and former Bordeaux striker Jean-Claude Darcheville also occupied the Zeta defence as Rangers eased into the final round of qualifying.

'It wasn't easy for us in this game,' said Smith, who has spent more than £7million on new additions this summer and is not finished yet in the transfer market.

'Zeta did their best on their European debut, but we proved that we are the better side in this tie, and that we deserved to be in the next round.

'We have a good team, the boys did well and it was important for us both to reach the next round, and to continue with our victories at the start of the season.

'Our squad has plenty of new players, and I must say they did well.

'It's important for us to play well, not to make mistakes, and we've proved at the start of the season that we are on the right track.

'Now, we must focus on our next task.'

Red Star Belgrade and Levadia Tallinn contest the second leg of their second qualifying round match tomorrow night in Estonia, with Rangers lying in wait for the winners.

If Smith's side can get through their next test, then the thrill of competing with Europe's elite - and a massive pay-day - await.

Smith said: 'When they finish their second leg, we'll see what will happen next.'

Zeta coach Slobodan Halilovic criticised his team for abandoning their match plan.

Halilovic said: 'I'm proud of my players, but I must say they missed their chance because of trying to beat Rangers by playing a style they're not used to, and which they weren't told to do.

'We're a technique-based type of squad, we won the title with fast play, fast moves, quick attacks, and today we've tried something else, even though it wasn't our agreement in the locker room.

'I must congratulate Rangers for the win, and, if Red Star Belgrade reach the next round of qualification, I think it is the Glasgow side who will be favourites in that clash.'

this thread should be closed admin and a jockstar thread should be opened or at worst a spl thread it is pathetic , a forum is about discussion ther are only 4 post from diff posters end this hel_l now !!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

this thread should be closed admin and a jockstar thread should be opened or at worst a spl thread it is pathetic , a forum is about discussion ther are only 4 post from diff posters end this hel_l now !!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

If you dont like it. Dont read it.

Things get better and better. I think we'll do well this season. League, couple of cups. Champions League? :o:D

Rangers sign Gabon international Cousin

Rangers have signed striker Daniel Cousin from Lens on a three-year contract.

The Gabon international becomes Rangers boss Walter Smith's 10th signing of the summer.

Cousin, 30, had also been linked with a move to Spanish side Real Betis but chose Rangers and completed his move this afternoon.

Smith has completed the move ahead of the Champions League deadline at midnight which makes Cousin available for next Tuesday's third qualifying round first leg against Red Star Belgrade at Ibrox.

Cousin, understood to be 6ft 2in tall, will join up with his new team-mates for training tomorrow and could be involved in Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash against St Mirren in Glasgow.

Smith said: 'I am obviously happy to get this deal done and we look forward to seeing Daniel play for Rangers.

'He is a very powerful striker and will bring something different to the squad.

'He's nowhere near as tall as the 6ft 7in reported, but has a great presence and is also good on the ground.

'Like Jean-Claude Darcheville, Daniel is a player who wants to try something different and this is a chance for him to do that.

'He is very experienced and is mature enough to cope with such a change.'

Cousin, who joined for a fee of around £1million, has made himself available for the visit of St Mirren despite not being at peak fitness.

He said: 'I'm very happy to be a Rangers player. I'm really glad to play for this club.

'It's a historic club - I feel very happy and very proud. I am not 100% fit but if the coach asks me to play this weekend I will play.

'I saw Ibrox earlier today and it is a fantastic stadium. I cannot wait to play there for the first time.'

Cousin scored 21 goals for Lens in 2005/06 and 11 the following campaign, although just four came in the league in his last season.

However, he was not in the plans of incoming coach Guy Roux and had been seeking a transfer throughout the summer.

Cousin's arrival brings Smith's spending beyond the £8million mark.

Defenders Carlos Cuellar, Steven Whittaker and Kirk Broadfoot have been joined by goalkeepers Graeme Smith and Roy Carroll plus Lee McCulloch, DaMarcus Beasley, Darcheville and Alan Gow.

agree mate. The majority of the fans are fine. Its the minority who ruin it.

A minority of the bigot brothers fans are bigots?

Must be a big minority!

If you knew yours facts. Most decent supporters are trying to stop all this bigotry. At least at the games. Who wants their team kicked out/fined/told to play behind closed doors in Europe? No one. So its about tiime the fans sorted this is out. The clubs are trying to. Its 2007! Some people live in the past. This goes for both sides of the old firm.