Sending motorbike parts from Europe

khernik

Hey, I have two things that I wanna buy in Europe - a quick shifter and new clutch plates. They are much cheaper there than here in Thailand for my bike unfortunately. I would ask my family to mark it as a gift and send it to me, and declare the value at less than 100usd. Without any receipts etc. 

I think they should be less than 2kg total and maybe will fix in a small box, so probably around 3k thb for sending it.

Do you know if there would be any issues with the customs in this case? I never really sent anything to Thailand before.

• Haha 1

Hit and Miss - open and inspect sometime, pass right thru others.

Customs ain't stupid - even marked as a "gift" one look will tell them no one sends clutch plates as a present.

Duty not onerous - take a chance. That is what I do, and - touch wood - never been assessed duty

• Thumbs Up 1

Parcels sent by mail are exempted from Thai taxes, if the value is less than THB 1,500.  There is no exemption for parcels sent by courier and import duty and VAT must be charged on the total landed cost including freight and insurance. 

Send your gear by mail and declare at less than THB 1,500 and you have reasonable chance of them coming to your door with no tax charged.  2kg is a tad heavy though and might encourage them to open it up and assess tax based on what they think the maximum possible value could be. So personally I would suggest breaking up into two parcels sent a week or two apart. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That actually makes sense, thanks a lot, shipping it via EMS is like THB 1,200 only. The quick shifter I plan to send is just 0.3kg, and 32.5cm x 4.5cm x 3.5cm, so hopefully it will pass through ahaha. I think I need to declare what's inside of the package though, on the form for customs?