How to do border run from Koh Samui or Koh Phangan?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ferry to mainland, bus to railway station, train to Malaya ( Penang if don't want to stay near border ), return same way.

Helps if have visa exempt entry to Malaysia.

Do you even need to stay a whole day? I went, crossed border, came back straight away. Was only in Malaysia about 1/2 hour.

can you be more specific? YOu are saying I need to travel south to Malay border and go to Penang border? What do you mean by visa expempt to Malaysia? I dont understand

4 minutes ago, parafareno said:

can you be more specific? YOu are saying I need to travel south to Malay border and go to Penang border? What do you mean by visa expempt to Malaysia? I dont understand

????????????????

I'm not saying you need to do anything- that's up to you.

Going to Malaysia is easiest from Samui or Phangan.

Penang is in Malaysia.

Visa exempt to Malaysia is the same as visa exempt to Thailand.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????????????????

I'm not saying you need to do anything- that's up to you.

Going to Malaysia is easiest from Samui or Phangan.

Penang is in Malaysia.

Visa exempt to Malaysia is the same as visa exempt to Thailand.

i went to penang before from Trang with a bus. I guess I will try again. They make no problems at the border? You have to overstay the night?

7 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i went to penang before from Trang with a bus. I guess I will try again. They make no problems at the border? You have to overstay the night?

I don't know if YOU have to stay overnight. I didn't one time, and another time I stayed on Penang a couple days. You'll have to find out about how long you have to stay from someone else.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know if YOU have to stay overnight. I didn't one time, and another time I stayed on Penang a couple days. You'll have to find out about how long you have to stay from someone else.

i thought you border hopped recently not few years ago

55 minutes ago, parafareno said:

hi mate, this thread describes a recent border bounce to Malaysia. the OP used a crossing I'll admit I've never heard of because apparently Padang Besar is a problem if you want to do an out/in. 

ps. dunno why you need to go all the way to Penang unless you want to apply for a 60-day tourist visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to drive down with my car to Satun to do the visa runs. I had to catch the first ferry to mainland then just drive down to Malaysia it took about 3-3.5 hours. Very nice scenery, pleasant driving, once police stopped me for having the lights turned on but I guess if its off it should have been the same he just wanted the money, anyway I was always able to catch the last ferry and at 8.30 was in Samui again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, huahinjoe said:

I used to drive down with my car to Satun to do the visa runs. I had to catch the first ferry to mainland then just drive down to Malaysia it took about 3-3.5 hours. Very nice scenery, pleasant driving, once police stopped me for having the lights turned on but I guess if its off it should have been the same he just wanted the money, anyway I was always able to catch the last ferry and at 8.30 was in Samui again.

you went with motorbike?