Transfer Visa exempt to NON O in Thailand

Sorry for asking again as i know its be discussed but am still not 100%
i am planning on returning to Phuket
I will travel on a visa exempt:

I have a Thai bank account
I can get the Non O with having the money in the bank one day,  correct?
Does this money  need come from outside Thailand?

IF yes,

than the extension requires no further proof where the money came from 

IF NO< 

than extension must show the 800,000 came from outside

Thanks

If the money has been in your bank account for a long time, you might not need to prove that it came from abroad for your initial visa application. I don't know specifically how the Phuket IO handles his though.

For an extension based on money in the bank, you don't need to prove that the money came from abroad. 

I have applied for a 90-day Type-O visa in Phuket, after having entered Visa Exempt.  Previous I was on a Type-OA visa, that was invalidated when I left Thailand without a re-entry permit on that Type-OA Visa's permission to stay.  Previously, for my Type-OA visa I was using proof of funds (800K) in Bangkok Bank which came from abroad (and I have proof of that).  

But for the Type-O I transferred funds from Bangkok Bank (that came abroad to Bangkok bank) to Krungsri bank, and I applied using the funds in Krungsri as proof of the 800K THB.

When applying, I was not (yet) asked for proof of the 800K THB coming from abroad.  I probably could have provided that, but it would have been a complex trail of money from abroad to Bangkok Bank (transferred a few years ago) to Krungsri bank (6 months ago).  So it would have been complicated. Fortunately I was not (yet) asked to produce.

This was 2 weeks ago and I am to show up at immigration in 3rd week of November, hopefully to pick up my 90-day Type-O Visa. 

But its still possible I could get a phone call between now and then, asking me to come in to immigration, to show that convoluted paper trail.   I will know presumably in 3rd week of November.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1

At CM Immigration, I converted last fall from visa exempt to a Non-O and then got my annual extension based on retirement a couple of months later.  Neither time did I need to show (nor did show) that the funds came from abroad.  But I'd note that I was in the somewhat same boat as the OP (having had 10+ annual extensions based on retirement, the last extension expiring while I was out of the country during covid times) and perhaps Immigration saw that I had that history and a long history of maintaining the 800k in a Thai bank.  Come to think of it, I've never had to show the funds came from abroad (the SCB passbook does not have anything equivalent to the "FTT" symbol reflected in a Bangkok Bank passbook).

While I realize that many offices only require 14 days left on your current stay (visa exempt or otherwise), here in CM they require 21 days (they say that's because the approval for conversion to a Non-O comes from Bangkok and not from the local office). 

Edited by CMBob
  • Thumbs Up 1