WWYD - Been notified by Youtube site (Motoscoop) that I won a motorbike

jwdub12

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would contact them via FaceBook messenger and verify if this is legit.

Are you a YouTube channel subscriber, did you actually enter any draw or competition?

Why are they using Telegraph not Messenger?

Are they Thailand based? If so, why are they calling in the middle of the night?

It definitely smells of a scam, but one never knows.

Yes I'm a subscriber to the channel. That is a good question as to why they choose some unknown app to contact them. I think you ay have hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jwdub12 said:

My first questions to them would be what model bike is it and will I incur any expenses in this transaction

Prizes in raffles/competitions such as these in Thailand generally carry a 5% tax, payable by the winner.

If a winner had been drawn (in a previously announced raffle by the channel) there would certainly be a mention of it in the channel's "Community" page, in the introduction under the relevant video or in a pinned comment.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Nobody gives anything for free.

This is one of the lesson learned in this life. ????

The channel currently offering a supercharged Ford F150 and $15,000 cash would disagree.   YouTube channels frequently do give away prizes to subscribers or commentators regardless of what lessons you've been taught but they are always announced by the channel and are likely to require winners to contact the channel via a specified email address, not though a chat app.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

How do you know the telegraph people are the same as the legit yt channel?

Smells of scam.

99% same story is rampant in Australia, winner of very expensive new model smartphone notified of win by e.mail, brand names mentioned, names of well respected shops/organizations falsely/without authority used in terms of who conducted the competition etc.

Response complicated, includes ned to pay several hundred AU$ in gov't fees, and gets more complicted step by step, the org. who advised 'you have won...' also gets changed. And they ask more and more personal questions. They also call and try to get personal info. 

Obviously they can get e.mail and mobile numbers.

They've conned many old age pensioners, partly through an added comment '.... if you don't need a new phone we can help you sell it.'

Total scam. 

• Like 1

Youtube is being overrun with these scams. Noticed it especially widely spread on tech channels. Just check the exact name of the comment that supposedly notified you of your win. It wont be 100% the same as the actual name of the channel. It usually contains some numbers or stuff like "contact on telegram" or some emoticons. They copy the avatar of the real user. Note how the real channel owner has a colored background around his username but the imposter doesn't. They usually also post the same comment reply to lots of users.

I'm very surprised that Youtube has not managed to get rid of these spam scams yet. They should be trivial to detect and it even got really big channels with millions of subscribers to post warning videos. What a kee-show.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 09.07.00.png

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

This is what really irritates me!  I was advised last week that I won 300,000Baht in a Kasikorn Bank give-away.  There were NO hidden requirements - only to let them know where to send the money.  Ignored.

Two days later, another message from the same people/person saying they are having trouble sending the money as my bank isn't accepting their transfer.  Cope of an "attempted transfer receipt" from Kasicorn Bank Thailand included (no, actual name).  Ignored.

One week later - a pleading message:  "My boss is very angry that I cannot send you our prize money of 3,000,000 kip.  Please send me your account number and password for the Yoma Bank and I will send it immediately."

Damn.  Though I was rich.  Guess I should has responded when it was still the Kasicorn Bank...................

4 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

This is what really irritates me!  I was advised last week that I won 300,000Baht in a Kasikorn Bank give-away.  There were NO hidden requirements - only to let them know where to send the money.  Ignored.

Two days later, another message from the same people/person saying they are having trouble sending the money as my bank isn't accepting their transfer.  Cope of an "attempted transfer receipt" from Kasicorn Bank Thailand included (no, actual name).  Ignored.

One week later - a pleading message:  "My boss is very angry that I cannot send you our prize money of 3,000,000 kip.  Please send me your account number and password for the Yoma Bank and I will send it immediately."

Damn.  Though I was rich.  Guess I should has responded when it was still the Kasicorn Bank...................

Three million Lao Kip is about enough to buy you coffee for a couple of weeks.

It's a standard scam suffered by many popular youtube channels.  The bike is free, but guess what....you have to pay the shipping costs.

Of course, there is no free bike.

Edited by Gsxrnz

OP ....  I received an email from a Mrs Martha L Lewis who is from Nigeria,  apparently I had some very rich long lost relative living over there and they have left me $25,000,000.00  ( twenty five million dollars )

WOW !   I didn't even know I had a relative in Nigeria .....   !!

but they want me to send some money for the processing and transfer fees ..

OP ...   what should I do ...