1st time extension of non-O requirements

I always thought that if you have a non-immi-O visa, you could walk in and receive your first 1 year extension on the spot , even up to the expiry date of the non-O.

A friend recently told me that you need at least 15 days remaining on the non-O to apply for your first extension.

Anybody else experience this? 

35 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Anybody else experience this? 

You should be able to apply for extension up till expiry.

The 15 days application prior to expiry is for applying for the non O .

Not extensions 

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You require 15+ days remaining on your permit to apply for non O.

Even 21 at some offices, one being CM 

Plus you don't get it on the day you apply. It will be under consideration for 30 days then you have to go back and get the actual extension stamp

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Plus you don't get it on the day you apply. It will be under consideration for 30 days then you have to go back and get the actual extension stamp

The OP is inquiring about extension. ( I also jumped the gun and thought he was applying for non O) 

Depends if his extension is based on retirement or marriage 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Note: he already has his non-O. He is applying for his first extension. Thought that was receive day you apply, up to end of O visa.

Retirement basis

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peabody said:

Note: he already has his non-O. He is applying for his first extension. Thought that was receive day you apply, up to end of O visa.

There certainly is no requirement to have 15 days remaining on your stay in the country to apply for a extension of stay.

Maybe you friend was mixing up the application for a visa at immigration with a extension of stay application.

• Like 2

I have done my retirement extension of stay 2 days to 45 days ( depends on the IO policy ) in advance. Takes me usually less than 30 minutes - not counting waiting time, because I keep my paperwork in order and have IF NECESSARY, multiple copies of all Immigration paperwork ever received and fresh photos, including rental / lease agreements and monthly bills, bank deposit slips and etc

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Denim said:

Must be depending of the reason for extended stay – for example married to a Thai – if retirement you'll almost get the extension stamp immediately, or within a few days.

37 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Must be depending of the reason for extended stay – for example married to a Thai – if retirement you'll almost get the extension stamp immediately, or within a few days.

I am married to a Thai. When making the application for a 1 year extension based on marriage to a Thai , after submitting the documents to local immigration for approval they are sent to Bangkok. You then return in 30 days time to get your 1 year extension of stay stamp. 

90 day report can be done online or an in and out job in person

7 hours ago, Denim said:

I am married to a Thai. When making the application for a 1 year extension based on marriage to a Thai , after submitting the documents to local immigration for approval they are sent to Bangkok. You then return in 30 days time to get your 1 year extension of stay stamp. 

90 day report can be done online or an in and out job in person

Yes, but OP didn't mention what his extension-application is based on, could be retirement...????

After I had already registered my place of residence (TM30) at the Chonburi Immigration Si Racha at the beginning of October, I would like to report on my current experience in applying for and issuing the annual extension (retirement) to my visa:

Entered Thailand from Germany on September 1st, 2022 with a non-immigrant O visa (retirement, single), valid until November 29th, 2022.

At November 15th, 2022 I arrived at the immigration Si Racha at around 1:50 p.m. and took a number inside the entrance area. When drawing the numbers, a distinction is made as to which requirements (retirement, marriage, etc.) are individually given. After about 5 minutes of waiting, my number was displayed.

At the counter I presented the following documents in addition to my passport (TM30 attached):

- completed TM7
- 1 photograph
- NON-O visa (see above) printed out
- Copy of passport photo page
- Copy of passport page entry stamp
- Copy TM30
- Certificate from the German Consulate Pattaya regarding pension benefits (fee on October 25th, 2022 = €34.07 = 1210 THB)

The rental contract that was initially handed over was returned with the remark that it is not required because TM30 was made.

After filling out 2 "instruction forms" (e.g. overstay) and paying the fee of 1,900 THB, I was asked to wait. 10 more minutes later I got my passport back.

My Extension of Stay (annual extension) was stamped in the passport and is valid until November 29th, 2023. In addition, I found the confirmation of the 90-day report with today's date stapled into my passport (without my doing or presenting a TM47). The next 90-day report by me must therefore be made again on February 12, 2023.

After I left the building at 2:15 p.m., the whole process lasted about 25 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Denim said:

Phuket :
apply for ur non O extension if ur over 50<
pick it up the next day

NON O, if ur married it takes anywhere from 30 to 60 days under consideration 

On 11/19/2022 at 8:07 AM, edwardflory said:

I have done my retirement extension of stay 2 days to 45 days ( depends on the IO policy ) in advance. Takes me usually less than 30 minutes - not counting waiting time, because I keep my paperwork in order and have IF NECESSARY, multiple copies of all Immigration paperwork ever received and fresh photos, including rental / lease agreements and monthly bills, bank deposit slips and etc

Which Immigration office do you use?   I'm interested whether they in fact ask to see the lease or if it's just something you bring along for safety's sake (which I used to do at Chaeng Wattana although they never asked for it).

On 11/18/2022 at 8:37 PM, Peabody said:

Retirement basis

Yes. That's my experience. 1 year extension based on retirement to a non O 90 day visa based on marriage.

The retirement extension was issued on the day I applied which was as it happens 14 days prior to expiry of the non O. A full year from the expiry date of the non O not the application date. Double the financials for an extension based on marriage but does away with attendance by wife and witnesses, the extra paperwork and marital home photos, the home visit by immigration officers and the under consideration wait of usually around 30 days. 

But these days it seems you have to sit on all the money in the bank for 3 months from successful application with the retirement extension ( but I don't recall the IO telling me this and there is no  notice to return to prove I have done so in my passport). As I was recently corrected by Dr Jack here on TV with the marriage extension you can access half the money immediately on approval. In both cases the full financial requirement must be restored 2 months to your next application date if you are going to apply again.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:07 AM, edwardflory said:

Very, very organised????

On 11/18/2022 at 7:56 PM, Peabody said:

1 year extension on the

for clarification  and thanks

over 50/non o/visit thai wife/usa/chiang mai

my first extension apply date is jan 20  

i need to get to usa asap , 

can i apply now ? ..     or 45 days ?

25 minutes ago, ifmu said:

for clarification  and thanks

over 50/non o/visit thai wife/usa/chiang mai

my first extension apply date is jan 20  

i need to get to usa asap , 

can i apply now ? ..     or 45 days ?

If applying for a extension based upon marriage to a Thai you will get a 30 day under consideration stamp.

You would need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you re-enter the country.

Most offices will do the extension up to 30 days early. You could apply now.

My friend called the immi hotline to ask if a 15 day wait period was now mandatory for extending an O visa based on retirement. "Which office?", they asked. "Jomtien". 2 minutes on hold, then person returned and said, "Jomtien is free to make their own rules.", so that was that.