Advice on CCTV system in Thailand.

jack71

We have an existing system installed 4 yrs ago. Some of the cameras are having issues and malfunction a bit. 

I tried to get the old company to come and take a look but they never turn up. I ended up sending them a message saying I will use another company. I wanted to know are they able to control the cameras on the cloud using their admin credentials on my cctv system?

If I want to change companies should we be asking them for admin passwords etc?

I wanted to upgrade the cameras. Last time he was out he said he checked our recorder device can use with 5mp infared camera but not support full color bc the new firmware of camera has changed. 

If we want much better quality cameras can I assume that we have to upgrade the box device. Do they have to change ALL the wiring? 

thanks

18 minutes ago, jack71 said:

If we want much better quality cameras can I assume that we have to upgrade the box device. Do they have to change ALL the wiring? 

thanks

I have recently replaced a color day/bw night camera and it uses the same video/power coax and control box.  New camera is wide angle HIKVision DS-2CE12DF3T-FS 2.8mm.  It appears most equipment sold these days is wireless but this provides good quality view (have not tried to get audio - just basic camera to control box/monitor/HDD).

44 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I have recently replaced a color day/bw night camera and it uses the same video/power coax and control box.  New camera is wide angle HIKVision DS-2CE12DF3T-FS 2.8mm.  It appears most equipment sold these days is wireless but this provides good quality view (have not tried to get audio - just basic camera to control box/monitor/HDD).

please provide pricing if you have time. thanks

Sorry for above - unable to get out of quote or to edit even after posting.  Below is a current source for camera - but this is extreme wide angle so might not be what you want - most would likely want 3.6Mm rather than 2.8Mm.  Both about same 1k price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ds-2ce12df3t-fs-28mm-hikvision-hdtvi-colorvu-2mp-i2621654236-s9400514138.html

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

If I want to change companies should we be asking them for admin passwords etc?

I wanted to upgrade the cameras. Last time he was out he said he checked our recorder device can use with 5mp infared camera but not support full color bc the new firmware of camera has changed. 

You should always require all passwords and login credentials. 
the statement that your recorder can only support 5mp infrared camera but not support full colour is rather suspicious 

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

thanks

That is not necessarily true. You may be able to continue to use the DVR. as to wiring it is dependent on the system you decide on. There are a few variables that include coaxial cable, Ethernet, Ethernet with PoE and wireless so you need to understand what you have and what will be supplied.

My personal choice for outdoor cameras would be Ethernet with PoE.

If you choose Wi-Fi you must realise that it is only useful for anyone who can’t be bothered to buy a Wi-Fi jammer, so for the casual thief, yes, but someone who puts even a tiny effort will not be on the cameras.

All systems can be bypassed none provide really good security unless you put in seriously large amounts of Baht.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Sorry for above - unable to get out of quote or to edit even after posting.  Below is a current source for camera - but this is extreme wide angle so might not be what you want - most would likely want 3.6Mm rather than 2.8Mm.  Both about same 1k price.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ds-2ce12df3t-fs-28mm-hikvision-hdtvi-colorvu-2mp-i2621654236-s9400514138.html

That one almost certainly has a lower quality image than the OPs. As best value for money wired or Wi-Fi I would choose Reolink that are produced in Hongkong rather than the mainland Hikvison 

• Love It 1

31 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That one almost certainly has a lower quality image than the OPs. As best value for money wired or Wi-Fi I would choose Reolink that are produced in Hongkong rather than the mainland Hikvison 

He mentioned his box could use 5MP camera - not that he was using one.  This camera is full color day and night and indeed night almost looks like day.  But a prime consideration was able to use old system hardware and know this name as have been using.

3 hours ago, jack71 said:

Check the (online) manual!

Obviously over times all components get better. Cameras, recorders (computes), cables, etc.

I.e. if you had 10 years ago the best available cables then they are maybe still good now and you don't have to replace them. If you/the installed used cheaper cables which were just good enough for the job at that time, then likely they won't be good enough now.

I suggest read the manuals. And/or look up the parts online. Or watch YouTube videos about the different components which you have and which you want to have.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

He mentioned his box could use 5MP camera - not that he was using one.  This camera is full color day and night and indeed night almost looks like day.  But a prime consideration was able to use old system hardware and know this name as have been using.

We don’t have information about his current setup, so there can only be speculation.

the only information that is available is that the installer claimed that his NVR could not support colour at a 5mp level due to an update. 

he has mentioned upgrading the system so that is why I feel that a 2Mp camera is a poor choice, there are 4 & 5 Mp cameras for not much more than the 2Mp though a higher capacity NVR may well be needed

For room security a here is a 4Mp image F785EA5F-78F2-42BD-A755-7C7CEE3F8106.thumb.jpeg.f52fe9a6ccc4996a731f3ba4e9628cd7.jpeg

and here is an 8Mp imageDCFB7171-00FA-426D-9582-B2A6A1CA009E.thumb.jpeg.015153b8c5e1025982b20b137b788476.jpeg

the larger image allows for zoomed detail

A4F9D7C0-46C4-46F0-8BAC-63F903CA44AC.thumb.png.fbec49f3e1ce5a3fe320c10de34b0bc8.png

96B9F4C6-F471-4316-978D-A3F60B387D45.thumb.png.e316e765883c1e573a6edf7f87939819.png