Individual Thai Lessons

sutnyod

Hi,

this is again about Thai language schools. I have spent my last week taking trial lessons from several (some mentioned here). I have not found a single one that would satisfy my definition of 'individual lessons' and would like to ask your inputs (again). Who of you has had good individual Thai lessons?

My definition: I go there, they check my knowledge, identify weaknesses and then work on a individual lesson plan how to tackle them.

the schools' definition: 'individual' means one teacher one pupil. No change of teaching, start with no a na, bo a ba

:o

Hi,

this is again about Thai language schools. I have spent my last week taking trial lessons from several (some mentioned here). I have not found a single one that would satisfy my definition of 'individual lessons' and would like to ask your inputs (again). Who of you has had good individual Thai lessons?

My definition: I go there, they check my knowledge, identify weaknesses and then work on a individual lesson plan how to tackle them.

the schools' definition: 'individual' means one teacher one pupil. No change of teaching, start with no a na, bo a ba

:o

Check out Baan Paasaathai at the Pleonjit BTS station and Ruamrudii, 3rd floor. It is small and personal. I designed my own lessons with the teachers. The sessions went according to however I felt like doing them, and on whatever topic areas I chose. As the paying customer, I simply cannot imagine having classes any other way. And I would never tolerate it being any other way. (The owner there is Khun Yaowalak.)

• 2 months later...

@last two posters:

yes, I think I called both. Problem is: they did not take me serious and never came up with a quotation. They thought it was a hoax (when I am on the phone people think I'm Thai). At one place that DID give me an appointment they stammered when I arrived there: 'Oooooh, Khun pen Farang maak maak'. Speaking English also does not help, because then they think I need to start with beginners' lessons.

I just want to learn writing, paleeeeze :o

I don't really see what it is you're expecting and why no one can help you. I studied at UTL and am still studying with one of the teachers from there privately. My guess is that all of the schools would hook you up with a private teacher if you asked for one. Of course this would be more expensive than a month in class with other students.

I was pre-tested when I went to study there and began at module 5 because I could already read/write and speak to a level they deemed to be appropriate. I think they did a pretty good job of that.

If you want to learn writing the private teacher would obviously like to use the school's material as planning an entirely new syllabus on the basis of one person paying xxx per hour is a waste of time.

I've heard of people who's spoken Thai was already good (perhaps Thai people who have grown up in another country and not learnt to read and write, but who could speak fluently) starting at this stage and I'm sure they would have benefited from it.

What exactly are all of these schools refusing to do?

What exactly are all of these schools refusing to do?

This here:

I was pre-tested when I went to study there

No pretesting.

If you want to learn writing the private teacher would obviously like to use the school's material as planning an entirely new syllabus on the basis of one person paying xxx per hour is a waste of time.

This might be the underlying reason; it is very inconvenient for a school to get pupils that don't fit in. Meanwhile I learn writing by myself (the same way I did the speaking and reading part) and by asking Thai friends when I stumble. Its slow but it works. I also can ask all the questions the teachers in my test-lessons were not able to answer (like why are the mute vowels marked to be mute instead of being omitted). Not that it matters anymore... However, pls feel lucky to have studied at a school that was professional enough to give you a pre-test.

The reason why it confuses me is that most of these schools run an almost identical syllabus based on the Union system and whilst the first couple of units of these systems may be unsuitable for you they almost certainly would be once the reading and writing kicked in.

Even if you joined a class and could speak better than everyone else in it I think the reading and writing would be challenging enough that you didn't feel bored. If you studied privately then this would be even less of an issue as the teacher could skip some of the vocab and simple grammatical structures taught at this point.

Probably they don't want to pretest you as you don't want to join a class and therefore won't be giving them any money. However, if you ask for private lessons I'm sure one of the schools will hook you up and then once you actually start the lessons she can asses your level.

If you want me to ask my teacher for the number of a teacher in your area PM me. She works at UTL and I think previously at Union so I'm sure she knows plenty of teachers.

Edited by withnail

I am surprised by the authoritarian rigidity of schools which some of you have described. My own experience was with two small schools (privately owned), and I studied what I wanted to, and in the ways that I wanted to. I simply cannot imagine doing it any other way, but maybe that's just me: anything else smacks of some kind of militarism. Surely, if you want to design your own curriculum, there are many tutors out there who would be thrilled to take you on.

Am also intrigued by Sutnyod's comment about being mistaken for a Thai person: the phrase "Khun pen Farang maak maak" doesn't seem like something that any Thai person would ever say, quite frankly.