Jump to content

Many foreign tourists visit Samui local market “The Wharf”


webfact
 Share

Recommended Posts

image.jpeg

MGR Online

 

By Goongnang Suksawat


Samui, Surat Thani – Many foreign tourists have visited a famous local market and tasted Thai food on Samui Island.


Mr. Wiwat Chuenban, the vice-president of the Tourism Council of Thailand told the Phuket Express the following:

 

“One of the most famous local street markets on Samui Island is called ‘The Wharf Samui’ which is located in the Bo Phut sub-district. The market opens every Wednesday and Friday from the late afternoon until late at night. Most sellers are local people who are selling local food and products.”

 

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/12/01/many-foreign-tourists-visit-samui-local-market-the-wharf/

 

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-12-02
 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

 

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the shops have closed what they should of done was to build a huge complex with apartments above the shops as for the car park what a waste I was there two weeks ago the place has become a ghost town when it first opened it was a really nice place but the actual shopping complex has become a disaster maybe the owners need to attract business by reducing the rents yes the night market seems to be recovering but I wonder how much customers are spending or are they just out for an evening stroll .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Most of the shops have closed what they should of done was to build a huge complex with apartments above the shops as for the car park what a waste I was there two weeks ago the place has become a ghost town when it first opened it was a really nice place but the actual shopping complex has become a disaster maybe the owners need to attract business by reducing the rents yes the night market seems to be recovering but I wonder how much customers are spending or are they just out for an evening stroll .

I agree. What a total waste of money. shops, bars, restaurants and kiosks on that site all sitting empty. Was dying a slow death from the beginning. No atmosphere.

And what the article is calling the Wharf Market used to be the very popular Fisherman's Village Walking Street Market which took place on the road through FV. Until they closed it for some reason.

 

Reopened again in its new location. The Wharf itself is now just an eyesore.

 

Coco Tam's and its associated restaurant are the best things and that end now. Although there are still nice restaurants, bars and shops in the village itself

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's the "Fisherman's village market" stretching from Coco Tams to the ring road, it is quite popular. I was there a few weeks ago and it was packed. The reasons are obvious - the tourists have less money, it is good value to drink 99 baht cocktails while entertained by decent live music.

 

However I spent a few weeks in Phuket and Bangkok very recently, and Samui looks outright dead compared to these. Heaps of seemengly well of Indians and Middle Easterners in Bangkok, lots of Russians in Phuket. Looks like due to high airfares and high inflation there is a change of tourist flows coming to Thailand, and it doesn't look favourably to Samui. If China opens and there are direct flights the business may pick up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Never been to that street market. Will have to try it next time on Samui.

I go to the Sunday street market in Lamai or Thursday's  street market in Menam.

You'll have a job!

 

The Sunday Street Market or Lamai Walking Street as it was known closed years ago at the start of the pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2022 at 8:57 PM, cheapcanuck said:

Never been to that street market. Will have to try it next time on Samui.

I go to the Sunday street market in Lamai or Thursday's  street market in Menam.

the one in Maenam has not reopened since Covid. Talk about January opening but Maenam just does not have that many tourists as mostly smaller Hotels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2022 at 10:29 AM, webfact said:

One of the most famous local street markets on Samui Island is called ‘The Wharf Samui’

No, it's not called that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...