Heart Medicatiton

Basso53

Living in San Kamphaeng District;

I was prescribed Atorvastatin and Metoprolol post NSTEMI early 2020 in Melbourne. I brought up enough to last until late January 2023 and will need to somehow obtain the same in my area to keep up its use.

In Australia a prescription is required, so I guess it is here unless I travel all the way to a certain pharmacy in Kanchanaburi for it.

My question is as I haven't been involved in the local medical system and hopefully never will, is finding a GP; my wife uses the Lanna Hospital under her national coverage so good for her. I am still organising health insurance, so in the meantime I will be paying for what or if any treatment required. 

How to find a good English speaking GP??? I am also assuming these meds are available in Chiangmai?

Many thanks for any relative guidance out there .

You can order these from Medisafe Pharmacy in Bangkok, and they will arrange delivery (to most locations in Thailand).

For the Atorvastatin, they sell a generic (imported from India) that is much cheaper than Lipitor/Sandoz. Unsure about the Metoprolol, best you send them a message. They usually reply within an hour and arrange prompt delivery (for Bangkok it's next day, for your location probably 2-3 days).

https://medisafepharma.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bbas3008

Since the one is a statin, I suspect it will be available OTC here as will the other.   I was prescribed different brands of a statin, and beta-blocker, RosuvastatinCarvedilol respectfully and both available OTC here/PKK without prescription.   

If your 2 meds are script only, maybe the two I was prescribed will be viable alternatives.  Verify with your doc of course.

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/metoprolol-alternatives/

"Carvedilol is preferred over immediate-release metoprolol for this condition given its demonstration of a greater reduction in mortality."

image.png.f2cbd71b0dc02a01924ef824b165556e.png

https://www.drugs.com/compare/atorvastatin

Actually prescribed 13 different meds, which I scratch 5 off, as not needed.  Only 1 requires a Dr script, the others, except 1, which I don't need, were available OTC.  I actually got the other (wife's oops, not realizing I didn't want), different brand without a script.  So only 1 needs a script, which I'm still searching for an alternative online supplier, as have no desire to sit at hospital a couple hours to get the script, to be overcharged at the hospital for the med.

Anyone know a trusted online pharmacy, suggestions would be appreciated.  Looking for Prasugrel (Effient) @ <3000 baht a month, for 30 tabs. TIA

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

@mark5335

Thanks for Medisafe rec., just saved ฿18.5+k (<฿15k vs >฿33k)

for 1 yr supply of just the one hosp. only script. 

Not to mention, 3 wasted hour locally/PKK,

or 3 wasted hrs + 200km r/t drive to HH ????

Will miss my chicken wrap & spicy fruit salad though ????

@Bluport

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally I would wouldn’t use meds from India, Try to find meds made here in Thailand, if possible, just a personal preference. Just go to a pharmacy in sankamphang, show them the translation of the med and ask if they have what you need. I’ve done it often, seems most pharmacists in the area speak enough English to get by 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2022 at 3:34 PM, novacova said:

Personally I would wouldn’t use meds from India, Try to find meds made here in Thailand, if possible, just a personal preference.

The one I got from hospital was generic to begin with.  This is simply another generic, and they didn't state 'brand' or origin.  As may be TH made.

You'd be surprised how many generics are produce by the original makers of.   I have one generic, that is manufactured by the original.  Mind boggling how the exact same, cost less in different markets, and then add the discounts of a generic, made by the same folks is even less.

IN, like TH, is well renowned for medical tourism.  As posted above, a world supplier of meds. 

I don't put a whole lot of stock in the private hospitals here, as my experiences have been less than expected.  YMMV

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 3:34 PM, novacova said:

Personally I would wouldn’t use meds from India,

When I was being treated for Hep C just one of the 2 pills a day cost the taxpayers over $1000 per day for 90 days.

A full course of treatment, generics from India, exact same medication, was $200

• Like 1

From the name it seems one is a statin (for cholesterol control) and the other is a beta blocker (for high BP) of Atenolol (a generic for Tenormin) type. They are cheap even in the USA and have cheap generics all over the World. I bet Australian meds are mostly generics if available. Any Thai pharmacy should carry them. Check with Fascino. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, bbas3008 said:

I enquired with the discount pharmacy in Babgkok; Lipitor 80MG x 30 pack $AUD106, full price same in Aust is $AUD16 without pensioner discount. So discount pharmacy ???

Why would you expect Lipitor to be inexpensive here, or even ask about ?   Prices will also be different at different pharmacies, especially if they cater to foreigners.

Wife got charged a different price, cheaper, for the same thing, at the same pharmacy, by a different clerk.  Almost half the price she was charged first time.  

Already been prescribed the generic at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Hello Bbas. I am a heart Patient too.

Regarding a 'GP' I understand your wish for that.

But why not find a Heart Doctor you can see every 6 months for a check up and to review your drugs regularly? The needs can change.

I found at BKK Korat and Chantaburi, really good heart Doctors who spoke English and were very sympathetic and encouraging. A review every 6 months should reassure you and when they prescribe, you don't have to buy at the BKK pharmacy where the prices are double.

It's a few thousand baht every 6 months . .

You can probably find some of the same Doctors at the Public Hospital, if you prefer. ATB

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been taking 12.5 mg of Carvedilol for some years, buy the 25 mg and cut it in half from Gov hospital for 1.25 of a Baht each , they give me 6 months at a time. Usually Gov Hospitals are the best option. Twice a year isn't a problem.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I have been taking 12.5 mg of Carvedilol for some years, buy the 25 mg and cut it in half from Gov hospital for 1.25 of a Baht each , they give me 6 months at a time. Usually Gov Hospitals are the best option. Twice a year isn't a problem.

Govt hosp way better than private, but can't match or even come close sometimes to local pharmacies.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:29 AM, TorquayFan said:

Hello Bbas. I am a heart Patient too.

Regarding a 'GP' I understand your wish for that.

But why not find a Heart Doctor you can see every 6 months for a check up and to review your drugs regularly? The needs can change.

I found at BKK Korat and Chantaburi, really good heart Doctors who spoke English and were very sympathetic and encouraging. A review every 6 months should reassure you and when they prescribe, you don't have to buy at the BKK pharmacy where the prices are double.

It's a few thousand baht every 6 months . .

You can probably find some of the same Doctors at the Public Hospital, if you prefer. ATB

Best Heart Hospital I found was Queen Sirikit at Khon Kaen  Doctors speak good English, prices half of what I was quoted in Korat for a defibrillator.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

May Be I Don't Know What You Mean .... I was just checking they are making generic medicine with are affordable and nice is quality i am eating them since last one year never had a problem . Where as its is just a mindset where we feel the medicine produce  in west are high in quality ...

Small Example i take ezetimibe @ 310 thb and original is 1440 and using it  generic since last 11 month to be precise  every thing normal .

• Thumbs Up 1

I get my medication for many years already from Peera pharmacy near Thaphae gate, the lady owner is very knowledgeable and decent prices. Also a heart patient and take similar meds, Atorvastatine 40 mg, Atenolol 25 mg and mini asperine 81 mg.

The Atorvastatine is the expensive part, if you take the Sandos brand the cost for a 4 month supply of 120 pills of these meds is 4250 Baht while if you select the locally produced Lipostat it comes down to 2650 Baht, your choice.

9 hours ago, rcjoop said:

I get my medication for many years already from Peera pharmacy near Thaphae gate, the lady owner is very knowledgeable and decent prices. Also a heart patient and take similar meds, Atorvastatine 40 mg, Atenolol 25 mg and mini asperine 81 mg.

The Atorvastatine is the expensive part, if you take the Sandos brand the cost for a 4 month supply of 120 pills of these meds is 4250 Baht while if you select the locally produced Lipostat it comes down to 2650 Baht, your choice.

i buy lipostat 40 from medisafe @ 1640 thb ( 120 tabs)  , with free delivery  to my home in hong-dong , seems getting good price

12 hours ago, rcjoop said:

Huh? Atorvistatin 40 mg. 2650 Baht! I pay 400 Baht for two months (40 mg. that I cut in half). You need to shop around!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, bbas3008 said:

I enquired with the discount pharmacy in Babgkok; Lipitor 80MG x 30 pack $AUD106, full price same in Aust is $AUD16 without pensioner discount. So discount pharmacy ?

In these forums everyone says that pharmaceuticals are cheap in Thailand but yet in every case in which I've had prescriptions filled both in the US and in Thailand it's been much more expensive in Thailand.  Some say that that's because I've been going to private pharmacies in Thailand and that "everyone knows" that you should go to a government hospital to get cheap drugs but I haven't investigated that yet.

6 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

In these forums everyone says that pharmaceuticals are cheap in Thailand but yet in every case in which I've had prescriptions filled both in the US and in Thailand it's been much more expensive in Thailand.  Some say that that's because I've been going to private pharmacies in Thailand and that "everyone knows" that you should go to a government hospital to get cheap drugs but I haven't investigated that yet.

The way you wrote that is unclear.

Private Hospitals are more expensive than government hospitals.

Pharmacies in private hospitals are more expensive than pharmacies elsewhere, on the high street, in the mall etc.

The cheapest place to buy pharmacy is at high street pharmacies.