Seen The Chiang Mai Expat Club Newsletter?

Ulysses G.

Thanks for posting the Expat Newsletter online. An especially nice paper. Keep up the good work. I'm mostly in Bangkok or the states now but hope to attend your club meeting when back in CM in acouple of months... and more often when my family and I live here more permanently. Best regards, Bill

• 1 year later...
Is the the club consisting almost entirely 100% of retirees? The club that meets at CM Orchid?

The Club does meet at the CM Orchid but the membership profile has changed over the past six months. There are a high (although not preponderant) percentage of retirees but this is a fair reflection of the make up of the CM expat community as a whole.

The Club wants to appeal to people of all ages, it has grown substantially over the last year and there has been a widening of the age profile.

The next meeting is on Saturday July 14th and all are welcome to attend so why not come and find out for yourself.

Thank you for the comments on the newsletter UG I know the people concerned have worked hard on getting it going and will be very appreciative of your comments.

One of my problems with this club is that the major advertisers seem to be running the show. Now that could be okay but lets face it these advertisers are getting some sort of credability by being associated with a non profit club that has been set up to help expats. What if the club was just a front for unscrupoulus buisness men attracted to the more relaxed buisness climate (less regulated) that prevails here. I would be pleased to know what other people think about this.

Is the the club consisting almost entirely 100% of retirees? The club that meets at CM Orchid?

The Club does meet at the CM Orchid but the membership profile has changed over the past six months. There are a high (although not preponderant) percentage of retirees but this is a fair reflection of the make up of the CM expat community as a whole.

The Club wants to appeal to people of all ages, it has grown substantially over the last year and there has been a widening of the age profile.

The next meeting is on Saturday July 14th and all are welcome to attend so why not come and find out for yourself.

Thank you for the comments on the newsletter UG I know the people concerned have worked hard on getting it going and will be very appreciative of your comments.

One of my problems with this club is that the major advertisers seem to be running the show. Now that could be okay but lets face it these advertisers are getting some sort of credability by being associated with a non profit club that has been set up to help expats. What if the club was just a front for unscrupoulus buisness men attracted to the more relaxed buisness climate (less regulated) that prevails here. I would be pleased to know what other people think about this.

I agree about the advertisers, but what can you expect from businessmen? They are out to make a living any way that works. Can't respect them for anything except maybe their products. The idea going in is, retirees are needy, maybe they need me. I have been asked numerous times to go to a meeting because I have been here a long time. But I'm not selling anything to anybody, so why should I go?

Holy crap!

Digging up an almost 2 year old thread to continue your axe grinding against CM Expat Group/ Friends of CM!

Impressive!

-Mestizo

I put in my 2-satang's worth on the previous CEC-bashing thread and was promptly flamed by a long-time resident about how as a newbie I had no right to post to the Thai visa forum and I hadn't been here long enough to appreciate the vast conspiracy of several local business people to fleece newbies out of their baht thru the CEC.

Then (after the thread was blown away, as this one probably will be), it dawned on me that "Hey, I fit the demographic of the alleged targets of the alleged evil businessmen." Yet, I never experienced any pressure to utilize any of their services when I've attended the highly enjoyable CEC functions. Because of contacts we made at CEC, we found a great condo to rent, found out about some groups related to our hobbies, learned where to buy various items and, in general, made our transition into Chiang Mai go much more smoothly.

Oh yeah, we really like the newsletter, too, and used to download it from the internet in the US before we moved here.