Illegal migrant cleaners arrested at two "well-known" universities in Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that immigration in the Thai capital Bangkok received information from an informant that many migrant workers were working illegally at two universities.

Twenty officers in two teams went to the universities yesterday morning. The universities were not named just referred to as "well-known", standard Thai rhetoric. 

At the first uni in Pathumwan six migrants were found to be illegally in Thailand and working without a permit. Two were on overstay.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

At the second uni in Ratchada Phisek Road four had no work permit and six were working in jobs contrary to what was specified on their documents.

They were all taken to the Suan Phlu detention center ahead of their prosecution.

The owner of a cleaning company that hired them has been brought in for questioning over the matter. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um did anyone tell the arresting officers that cleaners are hard to come by, let alone getting a Thai to want to work ?

Hmm. I cannot say that I agree with all of that thought.

I have run a cleaning business here for 20 years and I only employ Thais.

Yes - hard to recruit sometimes, but doable.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Hmm. I cannot say that I agree with all of that thought.

I have run a cleaning business here for 20 years and I only employ Thais.

Yes - hard to recruit sometimes, but doable.

Is that in the north-east ? 

My apologies, reading two stories at once, this was in Bangkok, the other story was in the north-east and nothing to do with cleaning.

Edited by 4MyEgo

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

"The owner of a cleaning company that hired them has been brought in for questioning over the matter". 

Clearly a misunderstanding, brown envelopes exchanged and everything back to normal then.

Back to normal for the company owner, while the lives of the poor cleaners are upended and ruined. 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, webfact said:

They were all taken to the Suan Phlu detention center ahead of their prosecution.

I'm betting that they'll be put to work cleaning the center until their prosecution and later relocated.

A competing cleaning company is my guess for the grass.