Sinema leaving Democratic Party, will register as independent

Scott

24d6c79d2b2198cc9541718fb980ea52.jpg

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has announced that she will leave the Democratic Party and officially register as an independent.

“I’ve registered as an Arizona independent. I know some people might be a little bit surprised by this, but actually, I think it makes a lot of sense,” Sinema said in an interview Thursday with CNN’s Jake Tapper in her Senate office.

“I’ve never fit neatly into any party box.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3768328-sinema-leaving-democratic-party-will-register-as-independent/

File:The Hill logo.jpeg - Wikimedia Commons

8 minutes ago, bendejo said:

When she got elected to the Senate it was the first I heard of her, and thought she was too good to be true.  It took a few years to find out I was right.  I saw some vids of her when she was in The House, and she spoke with wit and personality, as if I was watching a different person. 

She has largely been a major disappointment to everyone.  She's unpredictable and unreliable.  

Put a certain sum of $$$ in her hand and you'll get the predictability.

In late of 2021 she helped push through a raise in Medicare premiums, the collected money to go to Pfizer.  I wonder what her reward was.

I don't think she can make it as a Republican due to her, er, lifestyle.  The paleo-Republicans would not approve, especially with the current culture wars silliness.

She also voted against raising the minimum wage! She wouldn't have a chance in the Democratic primary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

"Don’t overthink Sen. Kyrsten Sinema switching from Democrat to Independent," said former New York congressional candidate Melanie D'Arrigo. "She’s not driven by ideology. She’s driven by which corporations and lobbyists are giving her the most money — which makes her an elected mercenary, not an elected representative of the people."

https://www.rawstory.com/kyrsten-sinema-independent-2658913970/

So same/same as about 85% of that senate

• Thanks 1

I wonder what her future aspirations are?  If she runs for the Senate, she will lose as an independent, and she will probably cause any Democrat to lose as well.  

She is definitely a spoiler on all levels.   

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard from a Republican voter who's a centralist I guess in her views on Midas Touch Facebook and she said this is totally strategic in that Sinema is up for an election race soon and was staring at being done like a dinner by a fella with a Spanish American name (can't recall it).

It will be interesting to see what transpires with her voting in the House (she has, by far, voted with Democrats - as a Democrat that is, prior to this move).

Doesn't VP Harris have a deciding vote if Sinema (once she registers legally as an independent) doesn't vote with the Dem's?  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I heard from a Republican voter who's a centralist I guess in her views on Midas Touch Facebook and she said this is totally strategic in that Sinema is up for an election race soon and was staring at being done like a dinner by a fella with a Spanish American name (can't recall it).

It will be interesting to see what transpires with her voting in the House (she has, by far, voted with Democrats - as a Democrat that is, prior to this move).

Doesn't VP Harris have a deciding vote if Sinema (once she registers legally as an independent) doesn't vote with the Dem's?  

Actually, it's the Senate, not the House. And membership in the party is irrelevant when it comes to a vote on a bill. All the matters for Harris to cast a deciding vote is that the vote total is tied in the Senate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many polls anticipate that Sinema, who hasn't announced if she plans to run for reelection in 2024, would lose by a large margin in her next election.

According to a Data for Progress poll published in October 2021, the senator has been slated to lose a reelection campaign for years. The poll identified Sinema as having the "highest unfavorability rating of any elected Democrat tested in the state".

https://www.newsweek.com/kyrsten-sinemas-chances-winning-reelection-senator-ditches-democrats-1765974

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The last two paragraphs of the article posted by The Hill are key to the situation, as is Sinema's pattern of obstruction when monied interests of her donors lie elsewhere.
The best video clip calling out move as opposite what her state's 2022 election demonstrates as desirable.
https://www.msnbc.com/alex-wagner-tonight/watch/the-real-reason-kyrsten-sinema-left-the-democratic-party-156909125666
Summary: She knows her obstruction has already cost her any chance of being re-elected as a Democrat. Her hope is to be strong enough as an incumbent to split the Arizona vote in 2024, even as the urbanization of her state strengthens the odds of a win for Democrats.

• Like 1

why don't the senators just put a for sale sign on ebay and go with the highest bidder....she ran and got elected as a dem then says screw you voters i am not what you voted for...

maybe the dems need to buy off a couple of repub senators and just let the entire senate be determined by the highest bidder...

what a disgusting bunch of self serving grifters...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

I don't think she can make it as a Republican due to her, er, lifestyle.  The paleo-Republicans would not approve, especially with the current culture wars silliness.

Lesbian,  is she?  Or worse?  Wot's da  secret?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Credo said:

IMO, Sinema was one of the earliest protest winners against Trumpism.  She defeated Martha McSally, a strong Trump supporter.  During the campaign, Sinema was largely an enigma.  Many of her supporters were simply protest voters against McSally and her support of Trump.  

She has largely been a major disappointment to everyone.  She's unpredictable and unreliable.  

She is an independent only in the sense that she supports anything that benefits her.  The sooner Arizona is rid of her, the better.   

Being from Arizona... I agree 100%. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pomchop said:

why don't the senators just put a for sale sign on ebay and go with the highest bidder....she ran and got elected as a dem then says screw you voters i am not what you voted for...

maybe the dems need to buy off a couple of repub senators and just let the entire senate be determined by the highest bidder...

what a disgusting bunch of self serving grifters...

I'm waiting for someone to file a suit claiming they paid for political favors and the politician did not come through for them, case goes up to SCOTUS.

Once upon a time this was called graft and was considered illegal.  Now the money is legally funneled through political action committees (PACs).  Is it really necessary to name the party behind this? 

Consider it this way: if someone has a billion-dollar business and they bought each senator for $1 million each, hell, they probably make that back in a few days.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, bendejo said:

I'm waiting for someone to file a suit claiming they paid for political favors and the politician did not come through for them, case goes up to SCOTUS.

Once upon a time this was called graft and was considered illegal.  Now the money is legally funneled through political action committees (PACs).  Is it really necessary to name the party behind this? 

Consider it this way: if someone has a billion-dollar business and they bought each senator for $1 million each, hell, they probably make that back in a few days.

Amazing isn't it?  Graft, pure and simple.