Chaotic night in Qatar - sensational matches both go to penalties as favorites Brazil eliminated and Argentina progress

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS PATTAYA

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

It was a sensational night of action in Qatar last night at the World Cup as football fans in Thailand were left guessing about the first semi finalists until 5 am. 

Both matches went to penalties amid chaotic scenes.

The early match between Brazil and Croatia lasted until 1 am.

After a fascinating first 90 minutes in which tournament favorites Brazil had countless good chances to win and Croatia failed to register a shot on target it went to extra time.

Neymar scored a brilliant mazy, solo effort at the end of the first period and it looked as though Brazil were on their way to the semis.

But gallant Craotia proved yet another European thorn in the side for the Brazilians by equalizing via a slightly deflected shot from Petkovic in the 116th minute.

It was the first shot on target from the Croatians and suddenly the writing looked on the wall for shell-shocked Brazil.

The game went to penalties.

image.jpeg

Croatia proved much the better at kicks from 12 yards winning 4-2 with the hero once again being their goalie Dominik Livakovic, as he was in the previous round that also went to spot kicks.

Rodrygo had missed the first kick for Brazil and the match ended as Marquinhos slumped to his knees in tears after hitting the post.

One can only imagine the misery being felt in Brazil where football is more like a religion than sport. 

Even more drama was to follow in the second game as this columnist tried to gather his breath!

Lionel Messi set up Molina in the 35th minute to lead my choice of tournament winners the Netherlands 1-0.

Messi added a penalty in the 73rd minute and it looked all over especially as the Dutch had yet to come to life in a strange match dominated by a whistle happy ref who ended up doling out 17 yellow cards and a late red, a tournament record. 

image.jpeg

Some of the Argentinian antics were shocking but the Dutch brought on Wout Weghorst, a Burnley player on loan with Besiktas in Turkey.

He scored in the 83rd minute to make it 1-2 then in an incredible and clever twist right at the end of 11 minutes of injury time leveled things up with a free-kick that was passed to him rather than shot over the wall.

The smart move sent the game into 30 minutes of extra time. Argentina hit the post with virtually the last kick so once again we were to "enjoy" the excruciating spectacle of penalties.

Messi scored his and eventually the Argentinians emerged victorious 4-3.

vN.jpg

Two men named Martinez were the heroes - Lautaro who calmly got the final goal and Emiliano the goalie.

Croatia will meet Argentina in the semi-final next Tuesday, 2am Wednesday Thai time.

If tonight's matches have half the drama we are in for more treats.

They are with Thai times:

Morocco vs Portugal 10pm

England vs France 2am

I'm backing Morocco to upset Ronaldo's team with CR7 again expected to start on the bench. 

Maybe this one will go to penalties too given the excellent defensive capabilities of the north Africans. 

Being a proud Englishman I shall be chewing the sofa with my wife and kids (even though my dad was half French and was born near Le Mans).

I hope and expect the Three Lions to prevail though please don't let it go to penalties.

I'm not sure if my constitution on Constitution Day in Thailand today can stand it!

With Brazil gone the approximate odds on the Betfair exchange have altered dramatically with Argentina now favorites.

We give you these as a guide with the caveat that football betting is illegal in Thailand:

Argentina 2-1
France 7-2
England and Portugal 5-1
Croatia 10-1
Morocco 40-1

At those odds I'd be on Croatia and Morocco. It has after all been a World Cup of shocks and twists.

Selected Golden Boot odds:

Mbappe 4-7
Messi 9-2
Giroud and Goncalo Ramos 23-1
Rashford 28-1
Saka 37-1

The second semi-final will be on Wednesday at 2am next Thursday morning Thai time.

The 3rd/4th place play-off will be next Saturday at 10 pm in Thailand with the final at 10pm Sunday. 

Stay tuned on Monday for Rooster's take on the final two quarter final results and a preview of the semis.

What is your prediction for the finalists? Why not post in comments.

Rooster

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-10

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't like the decision on penalties the game should be continued to be played until either team scores another goal.

Even play the next day if necessary.

Nah, penalties are a part of the game.

Those with the nerve and skill to cope with the pressure of a shootout deserve the rewards they bring.

Personally I’d do away with extra time and go straight to penalties. 

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

While Argentina over the course of the game, and showed nerve and quality in the penalty shootout, were the better team, their taunting of the Dutch at the end of the shootout showed a real lack of class.  

Yes the Dutch supporters should of shouted ' Falklands ' when Argentina were taking penalties. 

• Love It 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Yes the Dutch supporters should of shouted ' Falklands ' when Argentina were taking penalties. 

I’d have understood the taunting a bit more if that had been the case…also that seems more like something the English would do. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nah, penalties are a part of the game.

Those with the nerve and skill to cope with the pressure of a shootout deserve the rewards they bring.

Personally I’d do away with extra time and go straight to penalties. 

Agree penalties are 'part' of the game but should not decide the end of it, as said the playing of it should be the finale result. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree penalties are 'part' of the game but should not decide the end of it, as said the playing of it should be the finale result. 

I know some who’d agree with you, but I’m not one of them. Love me a good penalty shootout. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only Ashma does that to me sometimes, other that MotoGP.

I think you mean asthma. MotoGP? Is that the one where the bike goes into the lead on the first lap and stays there for the next two hours until he falls off or wins, whichever comes sooner? 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Drew345 said:

A 90 minute 0-0 tie game and "this columnist tried to gather his breath!" 

It was a tense game, especially if sitting next to your Brazilian sister in law and nephew, and could have gone either way in normal time.

Despite my antipathy to extra time, both goals scored were pure quality.

The shootout was equally tense and the aftermath…well I went home then. 

49 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

I think you mean asthma. MotoGP? Is that the one where the bike goes into the lead on the first lap and stays there for the next two hours until he falls off or wins, whichever comes sooner? 

MotoGP has a lot more closer racing than your accessment as does the close mis-spelt word. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

MotoGP has a lot more closer racing than your accessment as does the close mis-spelt word. 

MotoGP is great. 

4 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

MotoGP is great. A 2 hour race....never seen one

• Thanks 1