BTS Confirms Skytrain Fares To Rise On Jan. 1

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff 

BANGKOK Mass Transit System Plc (BTS), the operator of the Skytrain system in the metropolis, today (Dec. 12) announced a fare increase for rides to 24 stations over a distance of 23.5 kilometres starting Jan. 1, 2023, TV Channel 7 said.

The fare hike is applicable to the following lines:

– Sukhumvit – Mo Chit to On Nut station;

– Silom – National Stadium to Saphan Taksin;

– Silom Extension – Krung Thon Buri to Wong Wian Yai station.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/12/12/bts-confirms-skytrain-fares-to-rise-on-jan-1/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-12-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

While no one welcomes a fare hike, I’d reasonably expect that the the BTS operators expenses have also go up - largely like everyone else’s… it’s kind of a vicious cycle between rising businesses expenses/costs and rising employee wages …

i also think that because the base fare, when expressed as an absolute number is - relatively speaking small- any increase, even 1 baht, then translates into a rather large percentage….  unfortunately because i’ll bet it’s simply not feasible to use a unit of currency lower than 1 baht ( ie 25 or 50 sarangi coins) this also limits how fine any increase can be applied. 

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Still ti the best deal in town 

Depends on the distance and how many people travelling together.  We (two of us, going to town) have found it cheaper and more convenient to take a regular taxi as we have to pay a taxi to get to Bang Wa, about 100/110 baht then BTS fee x 2.  Each person will. be different.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Still ti the best deal in town 

And buses are MUCH cheaper!  And sometimes buses can be faster as they can save you walking time as they have many stops (and the driver will often drop you even where an official stop doesn't exist).  But, of course, buses can be horribly slow (and often unreliable).

In any case, relative to other BKK transports, I generally wouldn't call the BTS a great deal.