Auto Electricians

deadman

I think you will find its part and parcel of general car mechanics skill set nowadays. Given that the first thing a mechanic does is plug in a laptop to diagnose problems.

With EVs and hybrids etc, they will probably become more auto electricians than mechanics.

I had a problem with nissan march recently, turned out to be one cylinder not working, so they replaced the unit (one for each cylinder) that is essentially the coil, distributer, spark plug for that cylinder. So there was no testing the coil, testing distributer, leads, sparkplug etc .

Most new cars will tell you when a globe is blown, or its LEDs that dont blow.

Electrical problems in a car can be hard to troubleshoot.   Especially if they occur off and on.   It is amazing what you can find on Google if you know a few correct words to use.    Many times cars have known issues that many have posted how to  fix. Sometimes with great pictures, schematics, videos etc.     

14 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

They are called a "Dynamo" here....There are Dynamo shops sprinkled about....I found one in CM through a referral....Unless there is signage they are indistinct & hard to spot by driving down the road.....

Agree, a lot sell battery's so look out for a

G S Battery sign, if not i'm sure they could tell you where an auto electrician is. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 7:48 AM, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find its part and parcel of general car mechanics skill set nowadays. Given that the first thing a mechanic does is plug in a laptop to diagnose problems.

There is a reason those guys are called "mechanic". IMHO most of them like their hands in oil and not with cables or plugs and all those things.

Plugging in a PC is easy and no electrical experience is required.

Finding a problem in an electrical system is much more complicated. Often there are problems with earth (chassis) and lots of high frequency spikes. Not easy to solve.

This is a video in part about those problems.

• Thanks 1