How many species of birds are in your yard.

arick

Yard is way too small, 1/4 rai, w/ 1/4 across soi as garden.

But within 200 meter radius, easily 10 I've photographed, so probably twice as many I've missed.

I go to a small park to walk the dog, and about the same size, if not smaller area(200 meter radius), and have photographed at least 20+ there.  Birds of prey overhead, to some of the smallest in the park.

Recorded, photographed, 166 species in TH, probably more since I ignore & don't research the slight variations within the species, so probably closer to 180.   That of the approximately 450 ish birds that get photographed in Thailand, and just part of the 1000+ that live in or visit TH seasonally.

Even lucky enough to snap a few shots of rare Lesser Frigatebird locally, heading out to a small isle.

image.png.6272ae5d61f724bf8ba3de29b6018c79.png

image.png.7e23f18944bdcd8c4c77d6f4544c0749.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yard is way too small, 1/4 rai, w/ 1/4 across soi as garden.

But within 200 meter radius, easily 10 I've photographed, so probably twice as many I've missed.

I go to a small park to walk the dog, and about the same size, if not smaller area(200 meter radius), and have photographed at least 20+ there.  Birds of prey overhead, to some of the smallest in the park.

Recorded, photographed, 166 species in TH, probably more since I ignore & don't research the slight variations within the species, so probably closer to 180.   That of the approximately 450 ish birds that get photographed in Thailand, and just part of the 1000+ that live in or visit TH seasonally.

Even lucky enough to snap a few shots of rare Lesser Frigatebird locally, heading out to a small isle.

image.png.6272ae5d61f724bf8ba3de29b6018c79.png

image.png.7e23f18944bdcd8c4c77d6f4544c0749.png

Is the range map for that kind of bird?  Bit odd they are recorded I land in the North East there! 

Three regularly. Pigeons, Eurasian tree sparrows and Myna birds. I did have a fleeting glimpse of a swamp pheasant (similar to the OP) flying into a vacant lot filled with tall coffee bush near my place place yesterday. I live in central Pattaya near Big C.

https://www.thailandnatureproject.com/birds-of-thailand.html

Edited by ozimoron

17 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Is the range map for that kind of bird?  Bit odd they are recorded I land in the North East there! 

That range map is from ThaiNationalPark site, and better than eBird.  TNP site usually wants a photo of, on their FB Thai ID site to verify.   

But nothing really proves that photo was from that area.  eBird on the other hand, will map any bird anywhere, without a photo.  I suspect many are how you say ... total BS.  Anything to jack their sighting #s up.  Seems to be a bit of 'one upmanship' going on, at that site.

I've read checklists where member states he/she/it saw 40 damn species, a few rare, at 1 location.   Of course no photos, even though their profile photo has a spiffy camera hanging on their neck.

Sorry, no photo, it didn't happen.  If it's not close enough to take a photo, with a mediocre camera, even if blurred, how the hell can you tell what species it is.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That range map is from ThaiNationalPark site, and better than eBird.  TNP site usually wants a photo of, on their FB Thai ID site to verify.   

But nothing really proves that photo was from that area.  eBird on the other hand, will map any bird anywhere, without a photo.  I suspect many are how you say ... total BS.  Anything to jack their sighting #s up.  Seems to be a bit of 'one upmanship' going on, at that site.

I've read checklists where member states he/she/it saw 40 damn species, a few rare, at 1 location.   Of course no photos, even though their profile photo has a spiffy camera hanging on their neck.

Sorry, no photo, it didn't happen.  If it's not close enough to take a photo, with a mediocre camera, even if blurred, how the hell can you tell what species it is.

That is all my friends say when I call them is they hear the birds.  Always wondering if they are flying south or north  

• Haha 1