Corrupt Pattaya Police

DonTron

Yesterday a group of guys forced themselves onto my property, broke some windows and one of them attacked me with a screwdriver and sliced my hand.

I called the police at once - 30 minutes later nothing had happend.

Eventually we had to call them 7 times and 2½ hour later one man showed up on his bike and told us to go to the station.

So we went down to the police station - The police officer told me to go to the hospital to get my hand examined, and then come back with the reciept so they could do the report.

When we came back to the Pattaya police station, we gave a report to a police officer. (I had a Thai speaking witness with me)

First he seemed very interested and then he said… “Ahh you in computer business – I need new computer?”.

I smiled and thought he was just kidding, but it was like he expected some kind of answer from me and when he didnt get it, he completely lost interest in our case.

He turned his attention to his TV, started singing along with some Thai song and didn’t listen one bit to what we had to say. Eventually he called in another officer to take the report. This officer wrote a totally wrong report in less than 2 minutes and left out very critical details.

When I asked “what will happen now”, the answer was a shook of the shoulders and then we could go.

Do anyone know what more I can do?

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Edited by DonTron

Thanks to Thaivisa you can make that experience public. The Local TV and Newspapers dare not!

I know of a Cop who lives in a 2k House with a New Merc and a virtually new Toyota Pickup outside the door. Amazing what you can do here on a few thousand Baht a month salary.....

I know of a Cop who lives in a 2k House with a New Merc and a virtually new Toyota Pickup outside the door. Amazing what you can do here on a few thousand Baht a month salary.....

The officer who wrote the report had a Rolex on his arm. It would probably be real, cause a cop wouldnt wear a copy, would he? :o

There's not a whole lot you can do... reporting it here is a good start. I'm no expert at this, but in addition to calling the local police, I would also call the TOURIST POLICE, tel. 1155, and get them to come out TOO. I presume they speak English. I would also call and/or go in person to the Mayor's office, and raise whatever hel_l you can there, to see if they will at least do some kind of follow-up. You might also speak try to speak to the Director of TOURISM for the area... and without threatening, let them know you MIGHT go to the foreign press, and english language press, german, scandanavian, french press, etc., and let the Tourist officials if you don't get some satisfaction that they are taking you seriously, let them know you will not go away quietly. Regrettably, I wouldn't expect too much. I hope your losses weren't high... You might want to invest in a simple or sophisticated alarm system, like motion detectors. Also, get a dog or two, that's usually better than an alarm. Maybe you should ask your home embassy/consulat if they have any other suggestions.

If I had to deal with a singing, t.v. watching corrupt cop, I would see to it that he stopped that. The cops probably are underpaid for what we expect them to do... I think a big computer is too much of a bribe, but it's not unreasonable to offer something SMALL, as a gesture... it's just the way it's done here.

Were you able to have a sketch drawn? Could you identify the robber/attackers in a police lineup?

Remember, it seems you got off without real serious injuries, and it could always have been worse.

Thanks Weho.

I did get away pretty easy and the damage was minor. Still its sad when you get such a treatment, especially when you actually have a pretty serious case.

Back home I would have done everything you said and more, and I would probably have been all over the news too. But this is Thailand, a place I love very much. I am only a guest here. So if thats how their system works, then so be it. Perhaps I just need a security cam, a couple of big dogs and a MuoyThai champion with a baseball bat to stand guard :o

Dogs is not the solutions, they are poisoned without delay.

The Tourist police are here to help tourists. If you are here on a Non-O or Non-B visa you are not a tourist and they can't help you. They don't generally speak much better English than the regular BiB anyway.

I'd probably have called the newspaper guys immediately, once they're around taking your story the cops will have to show their face to not lose it.

Thanks to Thaivisa you can make that experience public. The Local TV and Newspapers dare not!

He could of inheirited some money from a brother-in-law that died suddenly! :o:D

Yesterday a group of guys forced themselves onto my property, broke some windows and one of them attacked me with a screwdriver and sliced my hand.

This is a very valuable post. IMO this kind of thing happens VERY often is goes unreported.

There is definitely something you can do: DO NOT BUY STAND ALONE REALESTATE IN THAILAND

Thailand is for RENTING, ENJOYING and MOVING ON when the time comes.

THE TIME HAS COME TO MOVE OUT OF THAT HOUSE.

I called the police at once - 30 minutes later nothing had happend.

Eventually we had to call them 7 times and 2½ hour later one man showed up on his bike and told us to go to the station.

So we went down to the police station - The police officer told me to go to the hospital to get my hand examined, and then come back with the reciept so they could do the report.

When we came back to the Pattaya police station, we gave a report to a police officer. (I had a Thai speaking witness with me)

You talk about 'we' a lot, then say that tou took a Thai-speaking friend to the Station.

Are we therefore to assume that both you and partner are foreigners? (Farangs)

Do you think that this has anything to doi with it?

My wife is Thai and we certainly do not get this sort of treatment from the local police.

You should think yourself lucky that none of these guys were injured whilst assaulting you and damaging your property, otherwise you may have  been liable to pay their hospital expenses.

Anyway not to worry because the new government/junta has promised to stop corruption - so give it a few months (their supposed time left in office) and report it once again

Edited by observer21

You should think yourself lucky that none of these guys were injured whilst assaulting you and damaging your property, otherwise you may have  been liable to pay their hospital expenses.

Anyway not to worry because the new government/junta has promised to stop corruption - so give it a few months (their supposed time left in office) and report it once again

Basic Thai court interpretation of the laws regarding B&E and personal injury are that the householder is justified in using reasonable force to defend his family and property, unlike the UK.

If the burglar / intruder is armed with any sort of weapon the property owner will normally be exonerated from whatever he does to the intruder while on his property.

The reason for the attack was a big misunderstanding which I cleared up myself later.

We - are me and a thai national witness. Actually there were several thai witnesses on the scene plus we had some of it filmed on a video phone, but the police didne even care to look at the evidence.

It is nice to hear the comments from everyone and also nice to hear (from all of my farang friends) that they never ever had such an incident.

So I hope that this will never happen to anyone else here in LOS.

The reason for the attack was a big misunderstanding which I cleared up myself later.

We - are me and a thai national witness. Actually there were several thai witnesses on the scene plus we had some of it filmed on a video phone, but the police didne even care to look at the evidence.

It is nice to hear the comments from everyone and also nice to hear (from all of my farang friends) that they never ever had such an incident.

So I hope that this will never happen to anyone else here in LOS.

WHAT WAS THE BIG MISUNDERSTANDING? How did you clear it up?

Edited by philliphn

WHAT WAS THE BIG MISUNDERSTANDING? How did you clear it up?

I'm curious to know this also!

Did you report the "misunderstanding" to the police when you made the report? Perhaps they were indifferent to you because they also misunderstood, and "justice was served" (som num naa) from their point of view. Or, more likely, the party that misunderstood you (and has the resources to organize an angry mob) is well known to the police, and probably make generous contributions (computers, etc) to them regularily.

This is a very valuable post. IMO this kind of thing happens VERY often is goes unreported.

There is definitely something you can do: DO NOT BUY STAND ALONE REALESTATE IN THAILAND

Thailand is for RENTING, ENJOYING and MOVING ON when the time comes.

THE TIME HAS COME TO MOVE OUT OF THAT HOUSE.

How true....we had 2 breakins in 3 nights in Pratumnak. I would never again rent, buy a single standing house. Dogs, alarm etc. all of not big help.

We are now happy in an apartment. That might not be the ultimate security, but much better.

As far the police....u gotta have contacts, unless those guys are of no help at all.

Completely and utterly a waste of time reporting it.

2 years ago outside my house hanging over the gate armed with a gun I have a drunken male thai.

Immediately phoned emergency police number to be told will send someone around in two days as we have no transport now. I say NOW he puts down the phone.

Phoned British Embassy out of desperation to be told not our business ring the police.

You're better off having a stun gun in the house and at the earliest opportunity ensuring the criminal knows it although not advocating walking up to a guy with a gun !!

Chivas

2 years ago outside my house hanging over the gate armed with a gun I have a drunken male thai.

Immediately phoned emergency police number to be told will send someone around in two days as we have no transport now. I say NOW he puts down the phone.

Phoned British Embassy out of desperation to be told not our business ring the police.

You're better off having a stun gun in the house and at the earliest opportunity ensuring the criminal knows it although not advocating walking up to a guy with a gun !!

Chivas

Thats when it pays off to be in a compound with decent security.

perhaps asking to speak to the boss to make a complaint may have had some impact, he seems to be inerested in public relations and improving pattaya's image outside thailand, the contribution from the police has a big impact on image

Like 7/11 said. You have to have good contacts. You mentioned something about Muay Thai. I don't know how old you are, infact it doesn't matter. Go down to the local Thai boxing gym and get friendly with them, half these guys are Mafia or are very well connected and if you have any problems, they will be the first to help you. It will also benefit your fitness too.

The next time one of these low lives comes in your home you can show the little turd a "Teep" which will send him straight back out of the door he came in!! The police love Muay Thai and if you ask any of them they are all probably ex champs :o

The amount of times I spoke or even spared with police or ex police members in Thailand is endless. They love it. I once walked into the police station in BKK to report a theft at the gym and they all said "ah you boxing yea, boxing, good" and then they started throwing elbows, kicks and nees round the station. It was the funnist thing I had ever seen. Priceless!!!! You would never get that in England!!!

They caught the young boy and frightened the shit out of him. If it wasn't for the boss of the gym he would be serving 5 years by now.The boss (rightly) took sympathy on him because he was so young and let him go.

Just a thought for everybody.

Regards.

Chivas

Thats when it pays off to be in a compound with decent security.

Which compound or compounds would you suggest meet the decent security criteria?

Obviously, the OP was not completely forthcoming with the info to us as he later mentioned that it was a "misunderstanding".

So now I wonder if he was equally lacking of info toward the police.

If I were a cop, I would instantly know that a sliced hand was a personal attack due to anger or revenge. In any case, a result of something prior and not random.

And anyway, ignoring the cop's interest in a computer was not a good idea. Could have said "What price range are you looking at?" or "I have a special discount for police." or something, anything to keep the cop from growing a feeling of resentment.