Exploring Issan from CM (Issan local knowledge)

rose33

Hi Issan residents,

Living in Chiang Mai & have a car, want to drive to come check out Issan in February. 

Can any locals please suggest...

Picturesque highways?

Off-the-beaten-track places?

Non-touristy place to see beautiful lam-vong circular dance? 

Anything else I should know?

Khupun nakaa!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Issan residents,

Living in Isaan & have a car.

Picturesque highways?

Khupun nakaa!

i would like to try to do more research here myself but it seems the search function only goes back one year which given covid etc  there are not very many posts in the issan forum. i.e a search for restaurant in the title in the issan forum turns up 2 results.  ouch

4 hours ago, youngexpat said:

Hi Issan residents,

Living in Isaan & have a car.

Picturesque highways?

Khupun nakaa!

i would like to try to do more research here myself but it seems the search function only goes back one year which given covid etc  there are not very many posts in the issan forum. i.e a search for restaurant in the title in the issan forum turns up 2 results.  ouch

Isaan is a huge area. Try to filter your search a little.

Make your way over via Loei, Phu Rua area is quite nice   Then N to Chiang Khan, Loei, riverside town, and very nice, but may need to reserve in advance, as locals enjoy the very nice walking street on the weekends.  

Follow the river over to Nong Khai.  Drop down to Udon Thani, and areas around the edge of the plateau are nice, with some parks along it.  Phu  Foilum if into flowers & a view, if AQI cooperating.  Same with couple other, Google, as names escape me.

Might want to head back via Khon Khan to N side via hwy #12.  If so, near KK airport, the Greenleaf Hydrofarm & Restaurant, was always a mandatory stop for us.

Maybe drop down to Khao Kho area, Phetchabun, and worth a peek since in the neighborhood.  A bit to see there before heading back to N side.

Or reverse, cross N to NE vis Phitsanulok on hwy #12.  Good for nice 2 or 3 week loop.  Maybe even add Vientiane, Laos, if never been, since at Nong Khai.

image.png.2b6eb7ad37c4eb4cb0708ca253627c80.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 3:39 PM, KhunLA said:

Make your way over via Loei, Phu Rua area is quite nice   Then N to Chiang Khan, Loei, riverside town, and very nice, but may need to reserve in advance, as locals enjoy the very nice walking street on the weekends.  

Follow the river over to Nong Khai.  Drop down to Udon Thani, and areas around the edge of the plateau are nice, with some parks along it.  Phu  Foilum if into flowers & a view, if AQI cooperating.  Same with couple other, Google, as names escape me.

Might want to head back via Khon Khan to N side via hwy #12.  If so, near KK airport, the Greenleaf Hydrofarm & Restaurant, was always a mandatory stop for us.

Maybe drop down to Khao Kho area, Phetchabun, and worth a peek since in the neighborhood.  A bit to see there before heading back to N side.

Or reverse, cross N to NE vis Phitsanulok on hwy #12.  Good for nice 2 or 3 week loop.  Maybe even add Vientiane, Laos, if never been, since at Nong Khai.

image.png.2b6eb7ad37c4eb4cb0708ca253627c80.png

This is terrifically detailed and helpful. THANK YOU. 

• Thumbs Up 1