What province to change ownership?

Background : I live in Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan and I have bought 3 cars, all from Bangkok and each one has been dealt differently by the DLT.

First one I sent the owner my paperwork, visa copies etc and he delivered the car to me with my name in the book. When I went to the local agent for test and tax they said it can't be taxed here, you have to take it to the DLT in Prachuap Khiri Khan town. I did this with a cost of 5-7k I think and they gave me a new registration number.

Second one I went with the dealer to the DLT in Bkk with all my documents, got my name in the book and drove home . When I went to tax it, again I was told have to go to PKK to change the registration number only at a cost of around 200 Baht only.

Third one a year ago I went to the DLT where the car was registered in BKK. The lady there did ask me if I want it registered in BKK or PKK so I said PKK. When I went to the agent for test and tax I fully expected them to say I need to go to PKK and change the number but no, they can tax it, no need to change number. .So it still has the same number.

Next month I am buying a new car which has a cherished number and is registered in BKK. Obviously I want to keep this number. The owner wants to drive the car to me in HH as he has family here.

My question is do I need to go to the DLT where the car is registered to change ownership and keep the cherished number or can I do it here in PKK although it's registered in BKK?

7 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

When I went to the local agent for test and tax they said it can't be taxed here, you have to take it to the DLT in Prachuap Khiri Khan town. I did this with a cost of 5-7k I think and they gave me a new registration number.

Me thinks you got Scammed.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Me thinks you got Scammed.

Well you will be wrong. I took it myself to the local (Pranburi) office to tax it myself as the agent wanted a lot of cash to do it even though my name was in the book. Pranburi office told me the same, I couldn't tax it there, I had to go to PKK and change the number.

41 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

I don't know since when but I know the new rule is that if you want your name in the car book you must get a new plate in your own province if you buy a car from another province.

That's obviously not true unless it's changed within the last year since I bought my last one.

Edited by YorkshireTyke
typo

1 minute ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Where's the actual link and who wrote it?

However, that is not my question. I want to know where I need to go to change ownership but keep the registration number.

if you want your name in a blue book for a car registered in Bangkok, that name change has to be done in Bangkok, it can not be done in another province, you can re-tax it in another province though, using the blue book or a copy of said book

To change the name of a car registered in say Bangkok,  in another province say Prachuap Khiri Khan, then you need to change the number to a local number, at the office in that province that does number changes, all DLT's in a province do not do number changes, ie pattaya DLT does not do number changes, it has to be done in Chon Buri DLT

• Like 2

Yes Steve, I've already mentioned that my local tax office doesn't deal with reg change, I had to go to PKK, not Pranburi where I tax it.

This article states the car reg change has to be done at the DLT where the car is registered, which I did with my last/current one and it still has it's BKK registration and I can tax it in local/Pranburi office.

Thailand Vehicle Transfer of Ownership - Car or Motorbike in your Name [HOW TO] (tdl-service.com)

• Like 1