Qualifications Required To Lecture At The University Level?

Hello,

does anyone know what kind of qualifications one might need to lecture (as opposed to getting hired as some kind of tenure-track professor) at a Thai university? Feel free to tell me I'm dreaming :o but does anyone ever get hired to lecture on a Bachelor's degree?

Hi

It is possible to teach at a Thai university with a BA degree. The pay scale goes up for those with an MA, but only if it is in Education or Linguistics - well that has been my experience here. Perhaps not the best time to be looking for a university job but you never know; some where may be looking to replace a teacher. Otherwise the next term begins in October. In my opinion teaching in universities is very different to what you would expect in Europe or N America for example. Still good fun and enjoyable teaching slightly older students.

Good luck with where ever you teach.

Hello,

does anyone know what kind of qualifications one might need to lecture (as opposed to getting hired as some kind of tenure-track professor) at a Thai university? Feel free to tell me I'm dreaming :o but does anyone ever get hired to lecture on a Bachelor's degree?

Sure a BA or a BS will do it for a promising candidate. You will always be a position of weakness though in my opinion even if you prove your value.

Sure a BA or a BS will do it for a promising candidate. You will always be a position of weakness though in my opinion even if you prove your value.

"a position of weakness"

How exactly? Do you mean in terms of career - progression, salary,etc?

"a position of weakness"

How exactly? Do you mean in terms of career - progression, salary,etc?

Here's what I think:

I would think that since a BA qualification only, is technically not enough to lecture at a Uni or at least not so desirable if they are say going before the MOE for accreditation.

That fact would always be hanging over the teachers head and the admin would always have a reason to get rid of them if they decided they did not like them.

It is also an excuse to pay a lower salary and without the paper qualifications makes it tougher but not impossible to move up.

Hi

It is possible to teach at a Thai university with a BA degree. The pay scale goes up for those with an MA, but only if it is in Education or Linguistics - well that has been my experience here. Perhaps not the best time to be looking for a university job but you never know; some where may be looking to replace a teacher. Otherwise the next term begins in October. In my opinion teaching in universities is very different to what you would expect in Europe or N America for example. Still good fun and enjoyable teaching slightly older students.

Good luck with where ever you teach.

Hi irishinchiangmai,

thanks for the info! This is good to know. May I ask if you have you taught in a university yourself? If the new term starts in October, do you know around when the schools start looking around to hire new lecturers?

thanks! :o

There may be some unis that are hiring foreign English teachers (best not to say 'lecturers' by the way - as irish says teaching in Thai unis is very different to European or North American ones) for October, Canadiangirl, and, yes, you can get a uni teaching job with a BA. You can look out for advertisements from September onwards and/or try to approach unis direct before the end of the current semester. Don't try applying just now as it will in all probability be too early - Thai schools and unis are not known for their administrative efficiency and forward planning - so your resume will get lost or binned. PM me if you would like some unis to try and an idea of what they can be like.

Hello,

No, you are not dreaming as it is possible, but not easy. It will depend a lot on the type of Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) and your major. Your fluency in Thai may be important as well. Then, be prepared to endure the trials of Thai University Administration. As a favor to a Professor friend, I did some ad hoc/guest lecturing at Kasetsart University some years back on International Business Practices so have some understanding of the "system".

As an alternative, you may want to consider finding a position with an international training company specializing in your area of expertise. There is a demand for good trainers/teachers in the private sector and the pay is much better.

Yes, they do. I know of at least a dozen people who are currently teaching in international universities in Thailand with a bachelor's degree. Most teach English, but not all.

Thanks for the info JimmyD! It's encouraging to know that at least some people have done it. :-)

There may be some unis that are hiring foreign English teachers (best not to say 'lecturers' by the way - as irish says teaching in Thai unis is very different to European or North American ones) for October, Canadiangirl, and, yes, you can get a uni teaching job with a BA. You can look out for advertisements from September onwards and/or try to approach unis direct before the end of the current semester. Don't try applying just now as it will in all probability be too early - Thai schools and unis are not known for their administrative efficiency and forward planning - so your resume will get lost or binned. PM me if you would like some unis to try and an idea of what they can be like.

Hi Paully,

thanks for your kind reply. I would definitely be grateful for info about which places to apply and what they are like. I've sent you a PM.

thanks!

No, you are not dreaming as it is possible, but not easy. It will depend a lot on the type of Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) and your major. Your fluency in Thai may be important as well. Then, be prepared to endure the trials of Thai University Administration. As a favor to a Professor friend, I did some ad hoc/guest lecturing at Kasetsart University some years back on International Business Practices so have some understanding of the "system".

As an alternative, you may want to consider finding a position with an international training company specializing in your area of expertise. There is a demand for good trainers/teachers in the private sector and the pay is much better.

Hi roeitjimmy,

thanks for the info!

My Bachelor's degree is (soon-to-be) in mathematics. I'm learning Thai at the moment, with plans to take more serious lessons once I'm in Thailand, but I can't really describe myself as fluent for now.

Thank you for the tip on international training companies, that sounds like a good avenue to pursue. I have a background in technology. I've done computer programming, system administration, computer security, as well as some technical writing/editing. Is there a demand for these type of skills from training companies? Could you point me in the direction of a few companies that might be worth contacting? (Please feel free to PM me if that's better for you.)

thank you for your help!

-CG

Hello,

I did it back in 2000; BA in anthropology with a minor in linguistics. Walked in to a university and asked for the application and got hired immediately. I did have three years experience teaching in Japan, though.

Factors that I believe made it possible: minor in linguistics, and three years experience.

I taught there for a year. I recently returned thinking about working there again and my impression was that it would be tougher this time around. The administrators were looking for people who were "truly" qualified, i.e., degrees or certificates in TESOL.

You can take a TESOL course online rather cheaply, and that would improve your chances significantly, I believe. Anything on paper showing you are serious will help.

BTW, I started out teaching English 101 and 102, and after proving my skills, taught an American Literature class. I was being considered to teach linguistics when I left... like somebody else, the standards here in Thailand are different, as I would never have been qualified to teach these classes at a US university.

Good luck!