Toxic fumes from hair color?

OneMoreFarang

Sometimes I have difficulties with sleeping and somehow I think it is worse when my girlfriend, who sleeps next to me, just colored her hair.

Is there any known problem with hair color?

Maybe some brands contain "bad" chemicals?

Sorry, I am not familiar with the different types of hair color so I can't give more detailed information.

OMF, it depends on if she went to a salon and had it done or did it at home herself by buying one of the cheap box kits from 7, Watsons or Boots.  Those tend to have the biggest chemical smell my Hair Dresser and colorist GF say.  If she buys the box and the salon does it the chances of it smelling strongly is reduced as the hair is washed at least 3 times and then blown dry.  If it is the higher end Paul Mitchell coloring system, where the small tubes are mixed together to get the color wanted then the chances the chemical smell is strong afterwards is greatly reduced.  My GF asked me to find out what your GF used to color her hair, brand, and if she did it at home or had a salon do it.  As she said the salon route generally washes the hair in between each layer of coloring added, while at home it is just squeezed into the hair then sits on the hair under a plastic hair cover and then washed just once.....

Over time the hair will also become damaged and brittle and break.  My GF recommends at least 3 to 4 months off after the hair has been lightened tremendously.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

If she color her hair at home, big c extra have products that supposedly don't contains 'bad chemicals'

The smell can be awful a few days, put her on the balcony ... 555 

For the odd sleep problem, Melatonin works fine for me, and no hang-over next day, not like sleeping pills.

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

OMF, it depends on if she went to a salon and had it done or did it at home herself by buying one of the cheap box kits from 7, Watsons or Boots.  Those tend to have the biggest chemical smell my Hair Dresser and colorist GF say.  If she buys the box and the salon does it the chances of it smelling strongly is reduced as the hair is washed at least 3 times and then blown dry.  If it is the higher end Paul Mitchell coloring system, where the small tubes are mixed together to get the color wanted then the chances the chemical smell is strong afterwards is greatly reduced.  My GF asked me to find out what your GF used to color her hair, brand, and if she did it at home or had a salon do it.  As she said the salon route generally washes the hair in between each layer of coloring added, while at home it is just squeezed into the hair then sits on the hair under a plastic hair cover and then washed just once.....

Over time the hair will also become damaged and brittle and break.  My GF recommends at least 3 to 4 months off after the hair has been lightened tremendously.

Thanks a lot.

Mostly my gf buys the color somewhere in a Thai market and does the coloring by herself. By now she knows how to do that and she does a great job as far as I can see.

Sometimes she buys the color and goes to a little one person hair "saloon" and it's done in that shop. I guess that doesn't make much of a difference.

I am pretty sure I could convince her to buy color in a proper shop like Foodland or maybe Boots or something like that. And maybe she can also buy/order something from Paul Mitchell.

My concern with products like that, like with cosmetics, is that brand names are just much more expensive for basically the same product. If your gf who works with this knows that Paul Mitchell or another brand is much better, then I guess my gf should use that in the future.

26 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

The smell can be awful a few days, put her on the balcony

That is obviously an option.

But actually the smell is not the problem for me. She washes the hair, maybe several times, I don't know how often. Her hair doesn't smell like chemicals. But only because my nose can't smell it obviously doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Any chemicals like those in many shampoos, other hair products and all manner of things can add to your "toxic load". Depending on how well your body detoxes or otherwise, chemicals (of ANY nature) can have an effect on us, especially if we have been exposed to a lot. A high toxic load can cause various reactions from nausea to breathing difficulties to rashes etc.

The obvious answer is to avoid anything with chemicals that causes us to react negatively. There is other stuff we can do such as use air purifiers, eat a healthy diet (which supports the liver and kidneys which are the two primary detox organs).

i used to have a similar reaction to that which you describe when I was young when my mother used hair spray. My Dad did not react to it. The effect of chemicals, pollutants etc can affect different people differently. Avoidance is the best strategy.

• Like 1