Marrying a Lao girl (Thailand or Laos or another country?)

bbi1

I've heard getting married to a Lao person in Laos is very difficult and expensive and not many people attempt it. Not sure how much the costs are or how long it actually takes though. Also, you're not meant to have sex with a Lao national before marriage, so this could prove problematic for many foreigners.

Do people usually marry their Lao partner in Thailand, or another country? Will the marriage be recognised in Laos?

"Permission for marriage or engagement to a Lao citizen must be submitted in a formal application to Lao authorities. Penalties for failing to register a relationship range from USD$ 500-5,000, and possibly imprisonment or deportation."

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not allowed in Thailand as no 'certificate of freedom to marry' would be provided by the Laos consulate. 

Which other countries are "friendlier" than Laos should one decide to get married to a Lao citizen?

Has this changed in the past few years? From what I've read, people have gotten married to Lao people in Thailand in the past. For example, this thread from 2012: 

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Which other countries are "friendlier" than Laos should one decide to get married to a Lao citizen?

Has this changed in the past few years? From what I've read, people have gotten married to Lao people in Thailand in the past. For example, this thread from 2012: 

That thread said can't in Thailand as well ............. so nothings changed.

Seemed you could marry in HongKong.

"Thanks for the lengthy post. In my case, the reason why I'd marry in HK is because I can not get A document saying that she was single and eligible to marry signed."

That thread said can't in Thailand as well ............. so nothings changed.

Seemed you could marry in HongKong.

"Thanks for the lengthy post. In my case, the reason why I'd marry in HK is because I can not get A document saying that she was single and eligible to marry signed."

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Marrying a Lao girl in Thailand is certainly not easy and marrying in Laos is tricky, if, like me, you already have a child.

We married in the UK as it was much less complicated!

After marrying in the UK, was is a quick and easy process to get the marriage recognised to be legal in Laos?

Just now, bbi1 said:

After marrying in the UK, was is a quick and easy process to get the marriage recognised to be legal in Laos?

I'm wondering how easy or complicated it is to marry in Hong Kong and what type of costs are involved. Anyone here with 1st hand experience over the past few years?

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

No idea as we live in Thailand.  We have a house in Laos and pre-Covid it was fine for us to stay there for a week or so, but currently we have no plans to live there.  I have a feeling it will be difficult and costly to get the marriage recognised in Laos, but until we need to do it I'll hold off.  Hopefully, it will be easier to do in the future. Our son (born in Thailand) has to get a Lao visa, despite having a Lao mother, as he only has a UK passport.

22 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No idea as we live in Thailand.  We have a house in Laos and pre-Covid it was fine for us to stay there for a week or so, but currently we have no plans to live there.  I have a feeling it will be difficult and costly to get the marriage recognised in Laos, but until we need to do it I'll hold off.  Hopefully, it will be easier to do in the future. Our son (born in Thailand) has to get a Lao visa, despite having a Lao mother, as he only has a UK passport.

Did you run into any issues when going over to Laos with either yourself or your son? Considering that they regard as sex before marriage to be a big no-no as a way to extort bribes and they seem not to recognise marriage in any other foreign country.

• Like 1