TIming questions: when to renew U.S. passport expiring Feb. 2023 but needing extension of permission to stay June 2022

A couple of questions:

Will TI renew at the end of June my extension of permission to stay (based on original NonImm OA) for a full year if the passport will expire after 8 months (end of next February)?

Renewing the passport itself before June is complicated by the fact I need to travel to the U.S. for a couple of weeks in May. 

If I try to renew the passport now,  here in Thailand (I've heard it needs to be done by mail now?), will I need to transfer original visa and permission to stay and reentry permit to the new passport before I travel out of the country?  If so, is that a fairly easy and painless process at CW?  Will I need to wait until there is less than a year to go on my current passport before I can renew?

Thanks for input.

The heading is confusing, permission to stay until June of 22, that is last year, did you mean June of 2023 and passport expires Feb 2024, permission to stay can not be granted past the expiration date of your passport

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

The heading is confusing, permission to stay until June of 22, that is last year, did you mean June of 2023 and passport expires Feb 2024, permission to stay can not be granted past the expiration date of your passport

Yes, of course.  Thanks for the correction.  I was entirely one year off for it all.  Passport exprires February 2024, extension to stay June 2023.  I should know not to post in the early morning.

8 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

An extension will only be given up to the expiry date of your passport.

OK.  So if I go to renew extension in June, the extension will be only to the following February when the passport expires.  Fine.  (Now I just need to see what the health insurance company will do with the necessary policy....)

47 minutes ago, JTXR said:

OK.  So if I go to renew extension in June, the extension will be only to the following February when the passport expires

Surely you would obtain a passport renewal immediately.

Don't know about USA but Oz can pay express fee for quick turn around.

June is quite some time away.

Enough time to renew now? 

There is a recent thread regarding time for USA passport renewal.

You can travel with both passports however it's a quick process to transfer stamps at immigration. 

This thread is Oct last year. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276059-us-passport-renewal-procedure/

Edited by DrJack54

After getting the new passport you will need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred from the old one.

If you already have a re-entry permit some offices will not transfer it and you will need to show it in your old passport to use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

After getting the new passport you will need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred from the old one.

If you already have a re-entry permit some offices will not transfer it and you will need to show it in your old passport to use it.

I'm in Bangkok.  I'm assuming CW will transfer the re-entry permit, but if not, carrying the old passport is no problem.

One additional question.  Renewal by mail requires a 100 baht bank draft so the embassy can mail the passport back.  Does such a draft require a payee to be filled in?  If so, I guess it should be "US Embassy Thailand" or "US Consulate Thailand" or does it matter?

32 minutes ago, JTXR said:

One additional question.  Renewal by mail requires a 100 baht bank draft so the embassy can mail the passport back.  Does such a draft require a payee to be filled in?  If so, I guess it should be "US Embassy Thailand" or "US Consulate Thailand" or does it matter?

Yes there is a payee, but I don't remember what it is.  There are very detailed instructions on the American Embassy in Thailand website. Check it out,  it's very specific.  Good luck, Chock Di

31 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Yes there is a payee, but I don't remember what it is.  There are very detailed instructions on the American Embassy in Thailand website. Check it out,  it's very specific.  Good luck, Chock Di

I spent a good deal of time on the website yesterday and today.  The checklist and other information on the bank draft does not say what the payee should be, thus my question.

29 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I spent a good deal of time on the website yesterday and today.  The checklist and other information on the bank draft does not say what the payee should be, thus my question.

I just looked at the website and it seems to have changed a bit.  I didn't want to fill out the form to see if the information is at the end.  

You used to be able to email the american embassy in bangkok at (I emailed them July 2021  and they responded) but now there is a different ambassador so maybe things changed?

[email protected]

but right now all I see is a contact form on the website.   You do have to dig a bit on their website.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Just on the US passport renewal questions:

The payee on the 100 baht bank draft is "American Embassy Bangkok."  Kasikorn charged me 15 baht for the draft.

Thanks for that about the bank draft.  I think for adult renewals of 10-year passports, you have to do it by mail now.  Funny, on the new checklist, it asks for your return address but doesn't say anything about a self-addressed return envelope, only to NOT send a prepaid return envelope.  Oh well, I'll just do what they say.....

11 hours ago, TaoNow said:

At the Embassy, they said I had to buy an A4 envelope for the return EMS mailing - it cost 100 baht and they have a ThailandPost office in the American Citizen Services section, so that is convenient.  But the wait was unnecessarily long with all the other people there.  I was in by 9 a.m. and out by 10:30 a.m.

So, in sum, it is probably less hassle just to do the renewal by mail, since going to the Embassy won't make it any faster and you won't be able to hold on to your passport while waiting for the new one.

Actually, dropping off the passport in person would save the two, three, four (or more?) days from the time you would post it and it accepted and readied for initial processing/forwarding to State Dep't. And being as there is a Thailand Post office in the citizen's service section, that is convenient. Just get the correct envelope, pay the postage (cash still OK?), is something I wouldn't mind doing, even if I have to wait.

The embassy has long required an online appointment to visit. And it no longer accepts in-person passport renewals, since the start of or even prior to the covid-19 outbreak. Just trying to square how you could get in there and drop it off in person. That's how I'd like to do it.

Edited by rwilem