Are tip requests getting out of hand ?

Across the country, there's a silent frustration brewing about an age-old practice that many say is getting out of hand: tipping.

Some fed-up consumers are posting rants on social media complaining about tip requests at drive-thrus, while others say they're tired of being asked to leave a gratuity for a muffin or a simple cup of coffee at their neighborhood bakery. What's next, they wonder — are we going to be tipping our doctors and dentists, too?

Maybe I go to the "wrong" places, but I don't think anybody ever asked me for a tip.

To be fair, most of the time I leave a tip in bars and restaurants so they don't have to ask.

But I am pretty sure if anybody would ask that would be a reason not to tip.

This is not America. Good!

Who is this rants coming from? Never been asked for tip since I first time and last time visited a soapy. 

I useally leave tip if am satisfied, and often places I visit service charge and tax is already included. 

Anyway travelling countryside wife pays, I do not bother to ask if she tip or not, but if Im going to guess, maximum 20 baht.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe I go to the "wrong" places, but I don't think anybody ever asked me for a tip.

Ya don't have to. Now many places add a service charge unbeknownst to us on our bills. So they take the tip without asking like back in Canada.

24 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Ya don't have to. Now many places add a service charge unbeknownst to us on our bills. So they take the tip without asking like back in Canada.

Service charge is exactly that. 10% service charge is usual in Thailand, at least in the better places. Which I think is fair - at least when the owners give all of that service charge to the service people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Service charge is exactly that. 10% service charge is usual in Thailand, at least in the better places. Which I think is fair - at least when the owners give all of that service charge to the service people. 

It is what it is, but I have stopped using Agoda, because they add taxes at the end! But I really do not care at restaurants if they deserves it, but if they do not, It kind of pisses me off, and I will leave a remark at google reviews 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:38 PM, Hummin said:

Who is this rants coming from? Never been asked for tip since I first time and last time visited a soapy. 

I useally leave tip if am satisfied, and often places I visit service charge and tax is already included. 

Anyway travelling countryside wife pays, I do not bother to ask if she tip or not, but if Im going to guess, maximum 20 baht.

Perhaps the OP should have made clear that the article is about TIPPING IN THE USA.

And yes, tipping has gotten out of hand in the USA.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Perhaps the OP should have made clear that the article is about TIPPING IN THE USA.

And yes, tipping has gotten out of hand in the USA.

I usually read the whole article if there is one, but I never check the forum which I now see is USA and Canada.

I think OP should take this one on his shoulders 

Anyway thanks

• Thumbs Up 1