How to force a lime tree to fruit ?

fredbe

Where I come from in Australia we have two types of lime trees. One is an exotic tree (Tahitian Lime) which fruits in 18 months and the other is a native lime tree (Citrus Gracilis) which takes 5 to 7 years. The native type has smaller fruit but tastes much nicer.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some people recommend peeing (yes, urinating) on citrus trees. 

I collect my liquids in a 6l bottle, let it sit then for 6 months (to kill off pathogens), mix it in a 60l barrel of water and then pour around the tree drip line. Have good, healthy citrus trees now bearing fruit (don't know if that is because of my premium fluids or just mother nature doing her job). 

• Haha 1

Forcing a lime tree to fruit should not be necessary.  I would look first to improving the growing conditions, soil and water manaagement to enhance the tree's best genetic potential.  

Do you know what you have, lime or lemon? or suckers from an unknown root-stock?

Are you are certain that the tree is what you think it is, and that the desireable grafted fruiting stock has not died back and been overtaken by suckers from the root stock? (one of the most common problems that I have seen when addressing citrus fruiting issues).  

What does the foliar crown look like? full and green? Do flowers form? flowers form and drop off before fruit forms? Fruit forms but drops off before fully developing? 

In the ground or in a container? and what kind of soil and soil fertility improvements? 

To address soil and water management, use a compete organic fertilizer, mulching of the root zone soil surface,  a weekly deep watering. Avoid daily watering. 

How do you water the tree, how often and how much and do you monitor depth of water infiltration?

Could it be getting too much water, and/or is soil or mulch piled up above the root collar causing root and crown rot? (which is one of the most common problems with citrus trees). 

Post photos of the entire tree and the site. There are commercial growers here who may have more experience and suggestions than I do. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...