Water pipe accessories like end caps; which material?

OneMoreFarang

Maybe I will install my water heater myself, or maybe I will ask a contractor to do that.

In any case I like to know the differences in materials.

My Stiebel Eltron Water heater has plastic pipe connections.

I my wall are new installed green water pipes with (I guess) brass threads.

The stop valves are chrome-plated brass.

I want to use some end caps to close valves which are currently not needed.

It seems there are plastic caps in blue or green plastic. And then there are brass caps.

Does it matter which material is used? Is one material better than the others? Or are some materials used for this and others for that? And is it a good idea to use a plastic cap on a brass thread? Or should it be always the same material?

Here are some pictures of my installation. The green pipes from the walls with and without cap. And the stop vales which I use.

And sample for the plastic or brass caps.

And yes, I am aware there are different sizes.

Thanks

1481583919_IMG_20220915_071000-Copy.jpg.c7518d183f3d928072d338ce3f9f35ca.jpg

453138830_IMG_20220923_084425-Copy.jpg.de4339ade0f27070b37e4f73145fcc8d.jpg

1934624024_10072021_1045507Imagec1.jpg.2393078237af8812acfe839fdb3d101a.jpg

BrassCaps.png.9ebefd9edadc3c8790a8f4af6632089a.png

PlasticCaps.png.a0ee505860325c73c566f668bb37fc62.png

If it is a water heater, you would be better off with brass caps ,but is they is no reason why you could not use plastic caps.

I have used plastic caps and plastic fittings, on plastic fittings with brass threaded inserts with no problems .

Just make sure you use plenty of PTFE tape .

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I want to use some end caps to close valves which are currently not needed.

It seems there are plastic caps in blue or green plastic. And then there are brass caps.

Does it matter which material is used? Is one material better than the others? Or are some materials used for this and others for that? And is it a good idea to use a plastic cap on a brass thread? Or should it be always the same material?

The green piping is PPR (copolymerized polypropylene) and the blue piping is PVC (polyvinyl chloride).

The safety and hygiene as well as the low thermal conductivity properties of PPR piping  make it ideal for domestic hot water piping, whilst the PVC piping can be used for domestic cold water piping and drainage piping.

PPR piping also has better UV resistance than PVC.

Link

If I were you I would remove that blue PVC plug from your green PPR hot water piping and replace it with a green PPR plug (or end cap as shown in your image above). I wouldn't bother with the extra and unnecessary expense of using brass.

3 minutes ago, Encid said:

The green piping is PPR (copolymerized polypropylene) and the blue piping is PVC (polyvinyl chloride).

The safety and hygiene as well as the low thermal conductivity properties of PPR piping  make it ideal for domestic hot water piping, whilst the PVC piping can be used for domestic cold water piping and drainage piping.

PPR piping also has better UV resistance than PVC.

Link

If I were you I would remove that blue PVC plug from your green PPR hot water piping and replace it with a green PPR plug (or end cap as shown in your image above). I wouldn't bother with the extra and unnecessary expense of using brass.

Thanks

The blue caps are only temporarily. Soon we will put the stop vales in those positions. At least one of those stop vales will not be used in the moment. To be sure that is not opened by accident I will cover it with a cap. 

This will be cold water so I guess I would use anything but staying with the theme I guess I will use a green one.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This will be cold water so I guess I would use anything but staying with the theme I guess I will use a green one.

The good thing about different plastics is that you don't get any galvanic corrosion like you do with dissimilar metals.

• Like 1